Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Brandon Moore signs with Cowboys, then retires 1 day later

SteveFromYellowstone

Brandon Moore picks retirement over Dallas Cowboys

Brandon Moore won't play for the Dallas Cowboys after all.

One day after Moore agreed to a one-year contract with the team, the veteran guard has decided to retire, Moore's agent told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Wednesday morning.

"I was wrestling with it all night,"

Moore told FOXSports.com's Mike Garafolo on Wednesday. "I was excited,

but when you start looking at all the personal factors that go into it

and the commitment on the football side and you've been in a different

mental state also the past three or four months because no action's been

happening, you kind of move on with your life."

Said Moore: "I was happy with that and fine with that. But when you get a call from a coach I care deeply for in (Cowboys offensive coordinator) Bill Callahan,

you start to feel it, you get excited and you're finally like, 'I want

to do it.' But you map out the logistics of it all -- the physical and

mental commitment, the tear on your family."

Moore, 33, recently said he harbored no intentions to call it

quits, but his reported $3 million to $4 million asking price had teams

scared off. The Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins backed away from signing Moore this offseason, but the Cowboys -- desperate for help on their interior line -- offered enough to entice Moore back. For a day.

By all accounts, Moore still can play. He graded out as the

fourth-best guard in the NFL last season by ProFootballFocus. He was a

capable run blocker and pass protector for the Jets in 2012 and hasn't missed a start since 2004. Moore's 10 years in New York resulted in just one Pro Bowl nod, but he was a reliable anchor for the Jets for much of his career.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000227176/article/brandon-moore-picks-retirement-over-dallas-cowboys

Hey, I'm not complaining. This guy has been a top guard in football for a long time and he still has gas left in the tank. The weaker the Cowboys line, the better.

Well on the bright side, barring a vet signing off the scrap heap during final cuts, the girls will be starting 2 rookies at guard this year...

doesn't bode well for their opener against the vagiants and damn sure ain't good going up against rak, cofield, bowen and kerrigan, not to mention jenkins and rjax.

Well on the bright side, barring a vet signing off the scrap heap during final cuts, the girls will be starting 2 rookies at guard this year...

doesn't bode well for their opener against the vagiants and damn sure ain't good going up against rak, cofield, bowen and kerrigan, not to mention jenkins and rjax.

Neither of the Cowboys starting guard right now are rookies. Ronald Leary is a second year player, and the other one is Mackenzy Bernadeau, part of why Moore decided not to sign was the fact that he wasn't going to be a clear starter (though he probably would of beaten out Bernadeau who was awful last year).

Neither of the Cowboys starting guard right now are rookies. Ronald Leary is a second year player, and the other one is Mackenzy Bernadeau, part of why Moore decided not to sign was the fact that he wasn't going to be a clear starter (though he probably would of beaten out Bernadeau who was awful last year).

You're right, I was incorrect about Leary, he is a 2nd year player, but iirc, he hasn't started a game, he, Bernadeau and Livings have all had pretty significant injury issues during the ps, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Leary (essentially a rookie) and Fredrick at the other G spot are starting come week 1.

You're right, I was incorrect about Leary, he is a 2nd year player, but iirc, he hasn't started a game, he, Bernadeau and Livings have all had pretty significant injury issues during the ps, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Leary (essentially a rookie) and Fredrick at the other G spot are starting come week 1.

Leary has looked really good so far, as has Fredrick. The other G spot is something of a mess, but hey, if only 1 spot on the o-line is awful that's a huge improvement from last year where 4 spots were bad!

Archived