Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training Camp Tips for those attending / from those that have been

daveakl

Based on the responses in this thread, it seems most everyone is parking at the Diamond and walking.  That pretty much implies that 840 Hermitage and 2220 W. Broad fill up pretty quickly.  Is that correct?  Other than parking in the Fan on the other side of Broad, has anyone found a decent place to park?  Any other tips?  Thanks!

-ct

I've been able to park at the Hermitage Rd. lot with no problem last Thursday AM and Friday PM. I got there at about 9:30 for the morning walk-through and about 2:30 for the afternoon practice. Not sure about Saturdays, but I'm assuming you need to get there earlier. I also noticed a lot of cars parking across the street on the roads in that industrial area, but that may be a "at your own risk" situation. The Diamond is not really that far away and would be the safest, bet but it won't hurt to check out Hermitage and 2200 W Broad before settling on the Diamond.

I've been able to park at the Hermitage Rd. lot with no problem last Thursday AM and Friday PM. I got there at about 9:30 for the morning walk-through and about 2:30 for the afternoon practice. Not sure about Saturdays, but I'm assuming you need to get there earlier. I also noticed a lot of cars parking across the street on the roads in that industrial area, but that may be a "at your own risk" situation. The Diamond is not really that far away and would be the safest, bet but it won't hurt to check out Hermitage and 2200 W Broad before settling on the Diamond.

Did you have to pay 5 dollars to park for each practice session or pay once for all day with in & out privileges?

Did you have to pay 5 dollars to park for each practice session or pay once for all day with in & out privileges?

You pay $5.00 each time you park. If you leave, you have to pay again as far as I know. The attendants stress that when you park. 

Went on Tuesday 8/6 - The plan had been to go to the morning session with my nephews and play golf in the pm, but at 9:31 am I got a text from the Redskins that the morning practice would be closed to the public due to the rain.

So, we played putt putt, had lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings, and drove over around 2:15.  There appeared to be plenty of parking available on the street on the other side of Broad St from the practice facility, but some of the spots said 2 hrs until 6 PM, so I chickened out and went over to the Diamond.  It looked like the lots to the Diamond were closed, so we drove down Hermitage road looking for a place to park.  Across the street from the Salvation Army store and the Richmond SPCA was an electrical business called Gexpro. They had a small handwritten sign offering parking for $5 ($10 was crossed out) and a note that the proceeds would be donated to a needy family, so I parked there and paid at their front desk. 

The pass I received makes it sound like the pass is good for the day, but it does not guarantee your spot if you leave and come back later, so beware of that.

Anyways, not too much a walk from there.  We got there about 40 mins before the afternoon practice and the place was pretty crowded.  I nabbed a spot on the hill near the goal line on the far side of the field (away from the entrance and by the ESPN 980 truck).  Decent sight lines, except for a REALLY ANNOYING flag that was planted in the ground at about the 20 yard line advertising The Kids Club, WOW!, etc.  At one point the group of us sitting together were going to pull the thing out.  Somebody went over there and said it was attached to the ground, but after practice I checked at it looks like it could have been pulled up.  (NOTE TO THE REDSKINS: Please move this to another location or take it out once practice starts).

RGIII did not participate in the 11 on 11 drills, but it was nice to be there and the facility is very nice.  Kudos to the fans for showing up in force on a day when the weather was so iffy.

My nephews tried to get autographs afterwards, but it was a total zoo.  Logan Paulsen came over near where we were and signed some.  When we were leaving, I noticed a crowd gathered around one of the media tents on the hill.  A blonde woman from WUSA was interviewing Alfred Morris.  After the interview he came along the rope and signed some autographs.  I shook his hand and wished him good luck this season.

BTW, if you are looking for autographs, you better be in the VIP section otherwise your chances are slim to none.

Afterwards, we went to Buzz and Ned's for dinner.  They were somewhat busy, but a lot less crowded than they are on non-Redskins weekends in the summer.

BTW, Be sure to bring a chair - you will need it.

Did they have VIP passes and VIP areas?

VIP area is down by the endzone and next to where the players come out.  Unlike Ashburn, it does not appear that VIP access gives you sideline access.  I don't think the sightlines are anything special in the VIP area, but it greatly improves your chances of autographs as there appeared to be a lot of players signing over in the VIP area when I went.  I would imagine there would be food and drinks in the VIP area as well, but you can bring in your own stuff anyways.

You pay $5.00 each time you park. If you leave, you have to pay again as far as I know. The attendants stress that when you park. 

Thanks for the info. I am trying to do research for next year's camp. I live in Iowa. I have only been to onetraining camp and that was in Frostburg. I loved it out there. Plenty of hotels and parking was free from what I remember. Someone in Richmond must have pulled a lot of strings to get the camp down there.

A really good free place to park is on Ownby Lane. It's a short walk up Hermitage (left) to Leigh Street (right) down to the facility at DMV Drive.

Plus after the 3:20pm session you can walk back up Ownby to Hardywood Brewery at the corner of Ownby & Overbrook Road.

Here are the remaining practice times:

Sat. 8/10 - 1 pm practice

Mon. 8/12 - 10 am walk-through / 3:20 pm practice

Tue. 8/13 - 12:40 pm practice

Wed. 8/14 12:40 pm practice

Thur. 8/15 - 12:40 pm practice

Fri. 8/16 - 9:45 am practice

There's a fire dept on hermitage and it seems almost nobody knows about it. It's $5, and it's a really quick walk to the field from there.

I was really proud of our players both days that we were there. My son was taken in the field and got his entire autograph ball filled. Fletcher even hung out with him for a while talking about defensive schemes with him(my son is 10, but has insane understanding of the game, lol).

I was able to get almost everyone's signature myself on another ball. They're very approachable(give Sunberg tons of credit, he hangs out all day!) Morris is super friendly and hung out with us for a while.

Also, keep a close eye on press row, we caught a ton of autographs up there. For some reason, people didn't seem to know what was going on up there. My son was in the entire Moss interview on channel 7, lol.....and moss talked to us for a little bit, there was only about 20 of us that even realized he was up there.

To stand right by the yellow rope, you will need to get there an hour before they open. Definitely get your kids to the far end zone, they'll meet a lot more players and there's a very good chance they get on the field.

Famous Dave's ribs are rockin and not overly priced. We had plenty to do between practices.....eating, playing the kids combine stuff on the hill, talking to fans, shopping in hear shop, pictures, watching interviews etc.

In jersey, most people around here are Giants fans. We compared notes on training camps and their players don't even come over to the fans at all except on fan appreciation day. The fans stand behind a chain link fence etc. we clearly blow there's away! :)

We had an absolute blast, I highly recommend the drive from wherever.

There's a fire dept on hermitage and it seems almost nobody knows about it. It's $5, and it's a really quick walk to the field from there.

I was really proud of our players both days that we were there. My son was taken in the field and got his entire autograph ball filled. Fletcher even hung out with him for a while talking about defensive schemes with him(my son is 10, but has insane understanding of the game, lol).

I was able to get almost everyone's signature myself on another ball. They're very approachable(give Sunberg tons of credit, he hangs out all day!) Morris is super friendly and hung out with us for a while.

Also, keep a close eye on press row, we caught a ton of autographs up there. For some reason, people didn't seem to know what was going on up there. My son was in the entire Moss interview on channel 7, lol.....and moss talked to us for a little bit, there was only about 20 of us that even realized he was up there.

To stand right by the yellow rope, you will need to get there an hour before they open. Definitely get your kids to the far end zone, they'll meet a lot more players and there's a very good chance they get on the field.

Famous Dave's ribs are rockin and not overly priced. We had plenty to do between practices.....eating, playing the kids combine stuff on the hill, talking to fans, shopping in hear shop, pictures, watching interviews etc.

In jersey, most people around here are Giants fans. We compared notes on training camps and their players don't even come over to the fans at all except on fan appreciation day. The fans stand behind a chain link fence etc. we clearly blow there's away! :)

We had an absolute blast, I highly recommend the drive from wherever.

You mentioned that you stand by the yellow rope. The official training camp info recommends bringing chairs. Can you sit next to the ropes with chairs or is there a different area for setting up chairs. I am doing research for next years camp. Thank you

Going for Tues/Weds. I have me, my wife and 4 kids (10, 4, 2, 1). What should be the game plan? I figure kids will likely go 1 day, and I'll try to cater the experience to them. A second day will probably be me and my Dad and do some serious scouting ;)

Any info would be appreciated. Chairs, parking, arrival times, food to bring, etc...

Hope to have similar experience. Wanted to get some advice from people there this week, some of the info was from 2 a days. We will be there during 12:30 practice only. Sounds like kids under 5 might have trouble holding their own. Not sure how to do that. But the press hill sounded cool. Thanks for the iinput.

Hope to have similar experience. Wanted to get some advice from people there this week, some of the info was from 2 a days. We will be there during 12:30 practice only. Sounds like kids under 5 might have trouble holding their own. Not sure how to do that. But the press hill sounded cool. Thanks for the iinput.

Have your kids go to the kids zone in the far end zone (away from the entrance).  IF they are lucky enough to have a player take them on the field after practice, they will get a ton of autographs.  That's probably your best chance.

Have your kids go to the kids zone in the far end zone (away from the entrance). IF they are lucky enough to have a player take them on the field after practice, they will get a ton of autographs. That's probably your best chance.

If you get there early enough have them against the rope on the fields closest to the fan area, closer to between the two fields, just left of the goalpost. My daughter went on the field both practices as that was where the o line came over to. Having a girl def helps. Lol

Went on Tuesday 8/6 - The plan had been to go to the morning session with my nephews and play golf in the pm, but at 9:31 am I got a text from the Redskins that the morning practice would be closed to the public due to the rain.

So, we played putt putt, had lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings, and drove over around 2:15.  There appeared to be plenty of parking available on the street on the other side of Broad St from the practice facility, but some of the spots said 2 hrs until 6 PM, so I chickened out and went over to the Diamond.  It looked like the lots to the Diamond were closed, so we drove down Hermitage road looking for a place to park.  Across the street from the Salvation Army store and the Richmond SPCA was an electrical business called Gexpro. They had a small handwritten sign offering parking for $5 ($10 was crossed out) and a note that the proceeds would be donated to a needy family, so I parked there and paid at their front desk. 

The pass I received makes it sound like the pass is good for the day, but it does not guarantee your spot if you leave and come back later, so beware of that.

Anyways, not too much a walk from there.  We got there about 40 mins before the afternoon practice and the place was pretty crowded.  I nabbed a spot on the hill near the goal line on the far side of the field (away from the entrance and by the ESPN 980 truck).  Decent sight lines, except for a REALLY ANNOYING flag that was planted in the ground at about the 20 yard line advertising The Kids Club, WOW!, etc.  At one point the group of us sitting together were going to pull the thing out.  Somebody went over there and said it was attached to the ground, but after practice I checked at it looks like it could have been pulled up.  (NOTE TO THE REDSKINS: Please move this to another location or take it out once practice starts).

RGIII did not participate in the 11 on 11 drills, but it was nice to be there and the facility is very nice.  Kudos to the fans for showing up in force on a day when the weather was so iffy.

My nephews tried to get autographs afterwards, but it was a total zoo.  Logan Paulsen came over near where we were and signed some.  When we were leaving, I noticed a crowd gathered around one of the media tents on the hill.  A blonde woman from WUSA was interviewing Alfred Morris.  After the interview he came along the rope and signed some autographs.  I shook his hand and wished him good luck this season.

BTW, if you are looking for autographs, you better be in the VIP section otherwise your chances are slim to none.

Afterwards, we went to Buzz and Ned's for dinner.  They were somewhat busy, but a lot less crowded than they are on non-Redskins weekends in the summer.

BTW, Be sure to bring a chair - you will need it.

Did they have VIP passes and VIP areas?

VIP area is down by the endzone and next to where the players come out.  Unlike Ashburn, it does not appear that VIP access gives you sideline access.  I don't think the sightlines are anything special in the VIP area, but it greatly improves your chances of autographs as there appeared to be a lot of players signing over in the VIP area when I went.  I would imagine there would be food and drinks in the VIP area as well, but you can bring in your own stuff anyways.

Thanks for the update!

VIP area is usually not too crowded and because of that it is usually pretty easy to get a good seat along one of the rope lines. You don't have to get there super early.

You need a connection to a sponsor or vendor or whatnot to get a VIP pass. You cannot purchase them.

Archived