Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training Camp Tips for those attending / from those that have been

daveakl

First off, if this should go somewhere else I apologize but I did not see anything that was specific to tips and insight of those that have been for those that are going.

I wanted to give some thoughts on what we (my daughter and I) experienced yesterday for those attending some of the rest of the camp. Overall we had an amazing day. The staff was very helpful, there was enough to do to keep a 5 y/o entertained between the morning walkthrough and the afternoon practice, the prices were not so bad that I felt gouged (since admission is free), and the fans were super friendly to everyone.

If you have kids:
When you get there, take them down to the far end of the fields where the “park” area is labeled. The Yellow box (behind the endzones) is for kids only and they can sit, have a great view, and meet the players after practice (more on this later). Behind the roped off yellow area is a waist high fence that adults and larger youths can stand behind. It’s nice because you can still talk to and get things for your child, but the larger people to not obstruct their view. In the kid area no chairs are
allowed to bring a towel. In the area behind (gravel) no chairs are allowed also so be ready to stand. Yesterday afternoon they started to limit the kids area to those who were smaller then the fence. The guideline was that if your childs chin was above the fence they had to be behind it. In the morning session there were some issues with bigger kids knocking over the smaller ones.

After the practice the players WILL come over to the kids area and take some of them onto the field. From yesterdays observations I would suggest having your kids in the front (against the rope) on the field closest to the fan viewing area to the left of the goal post. My daughter got to go out both times and had a blast! The players were amazing with their time and generosity towards these future fans and I commend the Redskins front office for sowing these seeds! That being said, if your family is looking for RGIII, Moss, Garcon, and other higher profile players they may want to be over in the dark purple area.

If your kid gets to go on the field you pick them up at the Medical tent located near the VIP area at the corner of the field (it has a BLUE top)

If you do not have kids/where to watch:
The purple highlighted area is where the action was yesterday. The pink box had RGIII doing his workouts with WR’s while the other QBs were farther down the field. The linemen were down in front
of the kids area. When the team ran 7v7 and 11v11 they went the direction of the arrow. After practice(s) some of the players would come over to the purple area to sign. The area between
the purple and gray is a hill where you can get some great views of the fields and the practice, but not much opportunity to get signatures. The gray box has the media tents and is also a decent place to grab some autographs after the players are finished. (Yesterday David Amerson was up there signing for a bit).

The play 60 and other kid friendly events are located in the blue square. There is not a ton (like hours) of things to keep them busy, but enough for 45-1:15 minutes of fun. Just make sure to take
your time and enjoy all the things there are so that you don’t run out of entertainment to fast. Lol

RGIII:
What can I say about this guy? Before the afternoon practice he did a lap around the fans giving everyone in the front row a high five. Between team workouts he was on the far field working out with Kyle (so if you want to see how his knee really looks head behind the kid area and take a gander).
After the practice he worked on the far field for a while before coming over to the purple area to sign. I would bet he was there for 30 minutes at least working his way down (started in the middle of the purple box and worked towards the media tents. He was generous with his time, smiled at the fans, winked at my daughter, signed her helmet, and made her day.

I am sure I am leaving a ton out and other will have much more to add, but if you have the chance GO!! Kudos to the front office for putting on an awesome display that really is geared towards the next generation of fans.

TraningCampPic.jpg

Here's another tip.  When you don't get an autograph, don't make a sobbing video about it, upload it, and then blame it on hormones later.  Your video will get picked up by message boards for other teams, and you will shame all of us by association.

Here's another tip.  When you don't get an autograph, don't make a sobbing video about it, upload it, and then blame it on hormones later.  Your video will get picked up by message boards for other teams, and you will shame all of us by association.

Yeah that has been pretty embarrassing lol

Bring a chair unless you want to stand for a couple of hours and bring lots of water.

Water from home - free
Water from vendor outside the training area - $2
Water inside from Johnny Rocket's - $3
Water at Fed Ex Field - $8  :D

Agree, I tried hard back in the day to get autographs from the teams in the '80 and early '90's and never got one, whether it was at practice or running into them in the street. My father explained that these guys can get very busy and sometimes they can't get to everyone, never take it personal..It was a hard to swallow when your 8,9 years old but it made me think, when they are out in public, they are still like us, they have to get things done, and stopping to sign everyone's autograph can make a simple 10 min trip to the store a 30-45 min affair. I learned a simple hi (fill in the blank) was just as rewarding..  And really, what was I going to do with a Tim Johnson autographed hat anyway?

Thanks for this thread, I'm planning on going on Friday for at least the day walkthrough and I had no idea how things worked rthere and what procedure was. It's my first training camp and I'm staying with a friend about 3 miles away, JUST OUT OF WALKING DISTANCE haha but oh well. 

What's a good time to get to a parking lot? 8am or earlier maybe?

Thanks for this thread, I'm planning on going on Friday for at least the day walkthrough and I had no idea how things worked rthere and what procedure was. It's my first training camp and I'm staying with a friend about 3 miles away, JUST OUT OF WALKING DISTANCE haha but oh well. 

We pulled into the one by the diamond at about 9:40 and walked the mile (maybe a little less but that is how far we were told it was).  Were at the kids area by 10:05.  Easy to just walk right in.  They did a real quick look into my backpack but didn't go through it or anything like that.  For the walk home we got a rickshaw to take us back ($5 plus tip).  Well worth it since my 5yo was done. lol

If looking for a good spot on the rope before the afternoon practice find a group with a lot of chairs. People just chill along the sidelines in their chairs during the lunch period waiting but if you hang around a group of them, the ambassadors will eventually tell them to put the chairs away as it gets closer to practice and when they do, space is ripe to be taken.  

That is what we did Saturday and it worked beautifully. 

I got to the Squirrels stadium thing at like 9:45. We walked a hell of a long way past the movie theater, stopped at the bathrooms on our way in and still got a pretty good view spot near the endzone. 

I don't think you need to get there that early for the morning practice to get a good view. Just make lunch quick and get back soon you will be set for the afternoon practice too though you may have to wait and hold your spot for a bit. 

I know the parking is $5 dollars. is this good for both morning and afternoon sessions or do you have to pay twice if you leave between sessions

We parked at the baseball stadium and it was $5 good for the entire day. Parking at the movie theater which was a lot closer, directly across the street from camp(though you still have to walk around to get to the entrance) was $10 for what it's worth. 

We hit the stadium lot at around 9:45 and it was nearly empty. Walked past the movie theater lot a little before 10am and there were still plenty of spots open too. 

Bring a chair unless you want to stand for a couple of hours and bring lots of water.

Water from home - free
Water from vendor outside the training area - $2
Water inside from Johnny Rocket's - $3
Water at Fed Ex Field - $8  :D

The water you bring from home will no doubt be colder too lol.

They also have G2 Gatorade's there, orange, blue and grape for #3. 

Another tip from the ambassadors was that if you have kids, bring them in the morning.  Much higher chance they will get asked to come onto the field.  I heard another saying that VIP ticket holders had a better shot of getting autographs and photos with the players.  

Also, shout out to Nick Sundberg.  He took time to take pics with all the kids that wanted them.

20130730_175632.jpg

If you are going Saturday for Fan Appreciation Day, bring a HUGE helping of patience. It's going to be insane.

Don't go with the intention of getting autographs, count them as a perk if you get any.

I said this on FB and I will say it again here, if you have little ones with you Do Not attempt to get autographs where the hoards of people are, there will be grown men pushing and shoving the kids around just to get an autograph. I have seen it WAY to many times and it pisses me off every single time. Just save yourself the trouble and save your kid(s) the hassle of being knocked around. When my daughter was younger we actually got seperated because of this very thing. Needless to say that was the last time we went that route. There are much easier and safer ways to get autographs if that is what your goal is.

Above all else, Have fun and represent well for those of us that won't be there!!!

I am so glad to hear that they changed the "kids" area to only allow kids as tall as the fence. It was insane last week. My 4 and 5 year old sons were getting trampled and I couldn't do anything about it 4-5 feet away and behind a fence... There's a happy ending though for us, both my boys got to meet RG3 and he pulled them on the field cuz they were balling when the big kids trampled them!

This photo has been all over the interwebs of my son:

image_zpsff9118a3.jpg

2 tips...

Bring sunscreen...and a book or something.  The wait in between walk through and afternoon practice is a long one.

If you get there early enough you can park near the fire dept on Hermitage Rd.  It is a lot closer than the mile I heard a lot of people saying they walked.

I am so glad to hear that they changed the "kids" area to only allow kids as tall as the fence. It was insane last week. My 4 and 5 year old sons were getting trampled and I couldn't do anything about it 4-5 feet away and behind a fence... There's a happy ending though for us, both my boys got to meet RG3 and he pulled them on the field cuz they were balling when the big kids trampled them!

This photo has been all over the interwebs of my son:

Chris - that's awesome! Wish I would have known you were out this way! Hail!

Just made my 2nd day of training camp today. Just blown away by how much time the players do spend after practice signing autograph after working out in the heat all practice. RG3 spent almost a solid 20 minutes taking a half lap around the field signing autographs.

How long is each session? Like 2 hours or so? I'm probably going to get there at 930ish and try to park close by and walk.

Hopefully someone else can answer about the morning sessions, but both afternoon sessions I went to ended around 5:20

How long is each session? Like 2 hours or so? I'm probably going to get there at 930ish and try to park close by and walk.

Morning on Tuesday went until about 11/11:15.  Maaaaybe stretched to 11:30 by the time they had huddled and walked over to the kids.

Here's some updated parking news for everyone. Main thing to note, for people who may have already planned: City Stadium and a few other places are no longer an option for parking on Fan Appreciation Day. Seems like the Diamond, VCU, and VUU will be the main places to park if you can't get a closer spot early in the day. 

http://www.wric.com/story/22982332/redskins-parking-updatehttp://www.wric.com/story/22982332/redskins-parking-update

...and there is a link there where you can reserve a parking spot if you want to, Hermitage road would be primo. I parked at 840 Hermitage Rd. today for the morning walkthrough and it took me about 10-15 minutes to be standing on the sideline. The other option to reserve a spot is at VUU, where you'll be taking a shuttle. 

https://cnp.clickandpark.com/venue

Chuck, I totally forgot you moved east! I'll let you know if I can make any games this year.

It was pretty awesome how much time the players gave back to the fans.

I would say the morning wall through was 1-1:30 hr and the after was around 2 hrs.

Good luck to all the fans braving tomorrow, there were 12k people at last weekends afternoon practice and it was crazy!

I went there this morning.  First, they had a helicopter hovering over the field to dry it off!  No joke. 

It wasn't too crowded and we parked about 8 blocks away but since I am from Richmond, I know the area well. 

The practice field was easy enough to see from many spots and of course it was hot and humid so bring your own water bottle.

Other than that, enjoyable.

By the way, don't know if it's been noted but check this site out:  skinsrva.com

Ken

Here's a link to the video of the helicopter drying off the field this morning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXu6yDvXSM

HTTR!

I have been to camp twice so far, and being from Richmond (well specifically Mechanicsville) I have to compliment the city on the experience.

I have had ZERO trouble parking even when I didn't use my fireman connections and park at Richmond Station 10 in the firefighter lot.

One thing I will say about the kids area, yes players come over and give autographs but it is a MADHOUSE and a lot of the parents are not watching their kids. Most of the parents are encouraging their kids to push others out of the way in order to get an autograph, or talk to a player.

I don't believe in that so I took my two boys outta there. I want them to get autographs and meet players but not enough to encourage them to be completely rude, and disrespectful.

Other than that everything else has been AWESOME! The facility, the Volunteer ambassadors, the players interaction, vendors, activities all great. So glad they have come to Richmond, and people are getting to experience this great city, and that the Redskins know that this has been, and always will be a place with a ton of loyal fans. In fact I would dare say Richmond has more Redskins fans than DC with it being a transient city.

I went to the Fan Appreciation Day last Saturday and I will say that this new facility is certainly first class.  The two practice fields have the same feel as FedEx itself.  The thing is that the way that everything was set up that day, it was not good enough for 25,000 people and that fact was made known through various media reports asking for the fans reactions.

I am sure that next year that there will be different approach to the Fan Appreciation Day so that they will be able to accomodate everyone.  With that being said, if you plan on going to training camp in the near future, the best time is to go on any day other than the Fan Appreciation Day.  It was just too packed and if you werent right up to the barrier ropes or high up on the hills surrounding the first field that you come to, well you are going to get poor views.  During the week, everybody will have no problem watching the practices and the best thing is that they will have a better chance at getting autographs.  At the end of the practices, the whole team surrounds the practice fields and give autographs.

The Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Facility is nice it is just that in the future Fan Appreciation Days, the practices should all be on one field so that it would allow for the overflow fans to be able to congregate and watch the practice from the other field.  Other than that, I had fun.  
Shook hands with Phillip Thomas and Dave Amerson and Sav Rocca.  Seen RG3 and he looked very good during the seven on seven drills.  Cant wait for the season.....Hsil!!!!!!

Archived