Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3's Meddlesome Parents

taylorsong

I believe RG3 has the potential to be a big-time diva which is caused by his heavily meddling parents.

Whenever RG3 talks about the injury situation, you can always sense a hint of tension and always fails to fully own up to the situation.  He always wants to spread the blame around and never takes it fully on his shoulders.  I think this is because deep inside, he believes the overwhelming fault should be placed on Mike Shanahan.

I think RG3 blames Shanahan for the Seattle re-injury and those beliefs come directly from his parents.  His father is a lifelong military man and strongly believes in authority and the chain of command.  He’s one to believe that the head authority is ultimately the one who bears  responsibility.  In this case, Shanahan failed at taking RG3 out even though RG3 wasn’t 100% honest in his self-assessment.  I can totally imagine RG2 saying something like, “It doesn’t matter what you said to the coach, it was his RESPONSIBILITY to take you out if you weren’t fit.  It doesn’t matter what you said, he’s the coach.”  Such sentiment can take its toll on RG3 and will ultimately cause RG3 to buy into those thoughts.

RG3’s parents are too involved with their son’s pro career.  His father should not be on camera voicing displeasure against the read option or the Shanahan offense.  If he’s like that on camera, imagine what RG2 is saying in private when the cameras are off.  He’s most likely a very dividing character for the RG3-Shanahan relationship.  RG2 probably believes he knows what’s best for his son, even when it comes to NFL gameplanning. 

Recently, RG3’s mother was doing an interview and something really disturbed me.  She was  discussing the injury in Seattle and she was describing it like they were rehabbing as a group.  She stated in that interview, “The very next day, WE were in rehab.”  No, RG3 was in rehab; you were not.  You were just emotionally supporting him, nothing more – nothing less.  Do you want to know the most disturbing part?  Check out RG3MOM.com.  Can you believe it?  Her whole identity is based on her son’s ability to play football.  I can’t figure out what the objective of her website is, to offer advice on how to raise an NFL quarterback or just to capitalize on the fame her son is establishing. Whatever the motive, it is both pathetic and worrisome and cause for concern among Redskins fans.

It is apparent that RG2 is a very strong and opinionated person.  It’s also apparent that RG3 heavily leans on his father for advice.  The fact that his parents are meddlesome and are very much vested in their son’s pro career is not going to bode well for Washington.  When’s the last time you saw Russell Wilson’s dad on TV offering guidance on how to run an NFL offense.  Does Colin  Kaepernick’s mom have a website?

Remember that this is only year one of the RG3 era.  There is surely more to come.  This won’t be the last you hear from the elder Griffins.

I know this is a controversial post.  It was originally part of an email sent to Kevin Sheehan of the Sports Fix but I decided to post it here also.  Inevitably, I'll be roasted.  But I'm interested in people's thoughts.

My thoughts are its football, so talk football. Speculating about people you don't know and making wild assumptions based off complete guess work is a cornball move. RG3 and his relationship with his parents was the same when he got injured in college, and he was better after that. It was the same when he won the Heisman, same when drafted 2nd overall by us, same when he led the Redskins to an NFC East title in his rookie year.

Try talking about something legit, or something you can substantiate with real facts instead of speculation. This thread is no better than tabloid trash. 

But hey, I'm sure Sheehan will appreciate the laugh before he drags your e-mail over to the trash icon.

Nice thread title by the way. Makes RG3's parents look like Scooby Doo villains. 

It should be noted that Steve Czaben recently revealed that there will be a documentary on RG3's rehab.  He says the documentary portrays the RG3 camp having major discontent over the Shanny offense and how the injury was handled.  I know it's a weird time to post something like this but hearing that just put me over the top.

I think you're getting entirely too worked up about, and looking way too much into, ultimately inconsequential or very overstated things, here. And as elkabong stated, you're making some pretty wild and unsubstantiated claims. My suggestion: relax, enjoy the leadup to the season, and look forward to watching RG3 and the Skins tear it up.

Also:

2851396-2684643_1966883_fail_thread__1_.

(Sorry, had to be done. Just one of those things.)

It's funny. I didn't see this thread after RG3's debut when he gave it to the Saints.

Didn't see it when he "electrified" FedEx Field with a game sealing 76 yard touchdown.

I sure didn't see it when he threw 8 Touchdowns in 5 days....

Is RG3 parents more hands on than most, sure. But that is just how they are. Remember, the dude is only like 23 and he is their baby. So they are going to try to protect him.

Everything is going to work itself out, so just chill. 

Ok I will avoid the temptation to pile on with the ridicule.

Look at RGIIIs behavior on and off the field and in particular the obvious regard he is held by his team mates. What about HIS behavior gives you any reason to think he will develop into a 'diva'? People can put on an act in front of the media and on social media but trust me there is nowhere to hide in the lockeroom - if RGIII was being high maintenance or acting like he is untouchable smoke would have come out from his team mates but EVERYTHING we get is positive.

There are things to worry about on this team even though the direction of travel is very positive - RGIII is not one of them (injuries apart).

Having caring, hardworking parents is a good thing. Second, you say that RG3's dad believes in the chain of command. Well, the chain of command says you do what your boss tells you and respect his authority. This aspect makes most of your arguments moot (especially your main one).

Going with the assumption that children are a product of their upbringing by their parent(s). I'd be willing to say that from what I've seen of the RG3 persona, because I've never met the man, that his parents did a fantastic job. This injury debacle really does rest  with the coaching staff. They are the final decision makers for the Washington Redskins. Pretty simple really.

He's only 23.  He most definitely need advice from people he trusts, especially with all this money and adoration thrown his way.  He has the weight of Redskin Nation on his shoulders.  Would you rather lean on a posse of hanger-ons for career decisions?

Archy Manning was heavily involved in both his sons' career decisions for a while.  They turned out OK.  As long as his dad doesn;t become divisive, we are fine.

His mom is just trying to cash in on the fame.  Why should any of us care if people want to pay her to speak?

And, FYI, I put a lot of blame on Shanahan and the coaching staff for the final injury against Seattle.  He should have never played in the second half.  The coaching staff needs to earn his trust again.

He's only 23.  He most definitely need advice from people he trusts, especially with all this money and adoration thrown his way.  He has the weight of Redskin Nation on his shoulders.  Would you rather lean on a posse of hanger-ons for career decisions?

Archy Manning was heavily involved in both his sons' career decisions for a while.  They turned out OK.  As long as his dad doesn;t become divisive, we are fine.

His mom is just trying to cash in on the fame.  Why should any of us care if people want to pay her to speak?

And, FYI, I put a lot of blame on Shanahan and the coaching staff for the final injury against Seattle.  He should have never played in the second half.  The coaching staff needs to earn his trust again.

I'll agree with all of that and add that our field absolutely sucked.

I am glad that his parents have a large part in his life. These are the same parents that are responsible for Robert Griffin being the respectable adult he is. So, having them be a part of his life right now, I believe helps to keep Robert Griffin grounded.

Regarding his mother saying "We" about being in Rehab, she probably was there. If my son was that injured, I would want to be physically there for him, so his Mother and Father were probably there, hence the we.

As far as the documentary about the "RGIII camp" being opposed to the read option, it is coming from a sports person who in order to sell the documentary needs to sell it and have an angle. Trying to foster that they are at odds with the Front Office is one way to do that, but I bet that is far from the truth, and was probably based on one comment that the father made, which is probably not much different than people on this board have made as well.

I know we are short on things to talk about, but this is wild speculation and probably bordering on a little inappropriate. The OP has managed to assume that Griffin is mad at and blames Shanahan, then assumed that he feels that way due to his parents' influence, then assumed that his parents had that influence on him due to serving in the military.

Yikes. Three degrees of assumptions leaves a lot of potential holes. I'm not going to "roast" anyone because I don't care enough. But it's just not really the type of layered argument that holds much water. I'll concede that it's possible that all of those items are true, but it's just as likely that some or all of those assumptions are completely wrong too. 

If nothing else, it was well written and obviously thought out. So there's that. 

It should be noted that Steve Czaben recently revealed that there will be a documentary on RG3's rehab.  He says the documentary portrays the RG3 camp having major discontent over the Shanny offense and how the injury was handled.  I know it's a weird time to post something like this but hearing that just put me over the top.

Steve Czaben is a bomb-throwing Snyder hater with an axe to grind. I don't believe anything he says.

As far as 3's parents: They have a right to be involved in their son's life! AND They have shown to be nothing more than a positive influence who raised an exemplary son (and daughter). Granted, I don't live in the DC area, so I don't hear everything about them, but I don't see them as meddlesome "stage parents." They just seem to be loving, supportive parents. No different than Mama Portis, for example.

Lastly, I have heard nothing from 3 that sounds like he blames Shanahan for his injury. Maybe I missed it when he unloaded on the coach? 

This thread and the OP seem nothing more to me than an uneducated attempt at stirring up a nonexistent controversy! Just what Extremeskins needs! (/sarc)

If you look at recent history and all the examples of young athletes running amok with too many $$$ and too little involvement from someone who genuinely cares, and then still try to cobble together some critique of Robert's family, then you're not posing an opinion, you're pushing an agenda.

A warped one.

Kudos to the many posters already pointing out what a fine young man Robert is and giving due credit to his folks. Football will come n go but he will always be their son, I applaud the way they look after their own.

Archived