Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins rookies David Amerson, Bacarri Rambo open camp as starters in secondary

RemoveSnyder

Rookies David Amerson, Bacarri Rambo open camp as starters

RICHMONDWhen the Redskins took the field for their first walk-through of training camp on Thursday, rookie defensive backs David Amerson and Bacarri Rambo spent the morning with the first team.

Amerson – Washington’s second-round pick out of N.C. State – lined up at right cornerback, and Rambo – a sixth-rounder out of Georgia – played at free safety.

Amerson played at the spot held the last two years by seventh-year veteran Josh Wilson, who opened camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list while rehabbing from left shoulder surgery. Rambo, meanwhile, got the first crack at winning a job that remains up for grabs with last season’s starter, Madieu Williams, no longer with the team.

It remains to be seen how long each will remain atop the depth chart at their respective positions. But those designations at the start of camp signified the impression each rookie made on coaches during offseason practices, and the potential both seem to boast.

AmersonRambo_ski141367773751_image_1024w

“We just found out today in the meeting rooms. They put up the depth chart and just went from there,” Amerson said. “I don’t even look at it as pressure. I look at it as them showing confidence in me, thinking I can be that guy. Now, if Josh comes back, or if it’s just because he’s hurt, I really just don’t ask questions. I just go out and play. But I don’t look at it as pressure. I always want to be the guy from Day 1. As an athlete, that’s your mentality: to be the No. 1 guy, and I’m just trying to focus on keeping it.”

Rambo said coaches discussed the possibility of him lining up with the starters, and he assured them he was up for the challenge.

“It’s a big opportunity. I just have to go out there and show them I know what I’m doing and make plays,” he said. “They just asked did I know what I was doing, and said I was going to get some first-team reps. So I’m just trying to take advantage of the opportunity.”

"and Rambo – a sixth-rounder out of Georgia – played at free safety."

Of course he did.

I have a feeling that Rambo will be one of the steals of the draft.. He fell in the draft because of some problematic issues in college. But so far it seems as though he is trying to stay on the straight & narrow (only time will tell).. But he has all the ability in the world.

With the cap penalties the last two seasons it's imperative that the skins draft well and find the deep gems that make a difference. If a couple of these rookies step up and play at a high level it's a bonus that wasn't necessarily counted on. Hoping for great things. httr!

I have a feeling that Rambo will be one of the steals of the draft.. He fell in the draft because of some problematic issues in college. But so far it seems as though he is trying to stay on the straight & narrow (only time will tell).. But he has all the ability in the world.

I agree. I do not really have any concerns at all w/ his off the field past. I'm a UGA alum and follow the team closely, so take this for what its worth, but back when he was suspended from UGA's team last season due to a marajuana incident, it was during Spring Break and he said he ate brownies that his buddies had and didn't realize they were laced. He even called his HS coach right after saying it was an accident and he was worried that if he was randomly tested after break he would pee hot, and of course he was one of the ones who was tested. 

If Rambo somehow turns out to be close to another "Morris" find for the defense this time then all the firsts we spend for RGIII become a mute point.  Wouldn't any team in the NFL spend a first for a running back to break the team record in yards and a first to find a starting safety as a rookie?  Yeap I though so.  Lets keep our fingers crossed, we are due for some fortune.

What's with Thomas?

Not hearing very much about him.

Is he a Bust?

waaayyyyy too early to say anthing like that. Some guys just adjust faster than others. Gotta consider that Rambo played with/against many future NFL players during college, whereas Thomas was at a much smaller program like Fresno state. 

I hear Amerson is very impressive in press-man. He has the physical gifts, now we have to wait and see if he has the mental discipline. 

I think he just needs some time to acclimate into the D, who knows he may see the field plenty once he gets his feet wet/

I hear Amerson is very impressive in press-man. He has the physical gifts, now we have to wait and see if he has the mental discipline. 

I agree. As a corner, you have to pretty much be ignorant out there. Improving on fundamentals is one thing. Improving on self confidence is entirely different, especially when you make the jump from the college to the NFL, playing against grown men, where even the very best corners can get smoked. He can't afford to let a couple bad games affect him for the rest of the season anymore.

From what I saw at camp - Rambo looked good, lots of awareness and was always around the ball. Amerson tries too hard to jump the routes. He was getting burned a lot. I'm sure he will learn and adapt, but it wasn't great to watch him look so lost out there.

Archived