Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is with analyst and their comparison of Griffin to Vick?

Pastor Troy

Its getting tiring hearing this .......it seems that its only griffin that gets compared to vick....not wilson or kaepernick....they seem to look at those guys as pass first QBs and run 2nd. But yet they don't give griffin the same view....

From the article posted by NLC1054

Andy Benoit goes as far as to assert that if RGIII doesn’t transform into a traditional pocket passer and “be can’t master downfield reads from the pocket, he’ll never be more than a likable version of Michael Vick.”

(Side note; Woe be the the next black quarterback who comes into the NFL with braids coming out the back of his helmet, for he will always be compared to Michael Vick.)

I think it's just natural and in this particular case it's true. RG3 is the most explosive qb since Vick as far as his speed and explosive play ability so I understand the comparison, and it doesn't bother me. Plus RG3 can throw and has shown it. The Media loves RG3. They love to talk about him, they love to criticize him, they love to praise him. So as long as RG3 is around he is going to be near the top of the sportscenter rundown and everything is going to be over analyzed about him. 

Because it's the easy thing to do. They see an athletic black QB, they automatically make the comparison. Like white receivers - just about every white receiver is compared to Wes Welker.

Well that is so lame....the numbers don't add up....rg3 rookie numbers only comparable to vick's best season in his 9 years as a pro in 2010...

It gives in to stereotype....which needs to stop...just because you are black doesn't mean you are the same as the next guy

Because it's the easy thing to do. They see an athletic black QB, they automatically make the comparison. Like white receivers - just about every white receiver is compared to Wes Welker.

Well that is so lame....the numbers don't add up....rg3 rookie numbers only comparable to vick's best season in his 9 years as a pro in 2010...

It gives in to stereotype....which needs to stop...just because you are black doesn't mean you are the same as the next guy

It's not going to stop. You'd be happier if you stopped looking at the opinions of media trolls that do this as legitimate.

They're not. They can compare Griffin to Tony Banks for all I care....because it doesn't equate to reality.

I agree that it's a stereotypical comparison...I just don't think you should let it bother you. Watch/read about viewpoints that aren't moronic instead of complaining about those that are, imo ;p

If everyone did this, these hacks would be out of a job.

It's like they want to ignore the fact that he lead the league in YPA and had a 102.4 passer rating, behind only Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers.  The Vick comparisons have to be because he is black.

Well, there is that injury thing. 

Way too early in RGIII's career to point to as being "like Vick" but some people have hinted around about it. 

Bogus in my mind.

The Rook

RG3 is the most electrifying black QB to enter the league since Vick. He is fast and can throw the long ball better than most. There are a lot of similarities.

Sure, it's lazy and racist, but if you can't see the comparison, you're kidding yourself.

RG3 is the most electrifying black QB to enter the league since Vick. He is fast and can throw the long ball better than most. There are a lot of similarities.

Sure, it's lazy and racist, but if you can't see the comparison, you're kidding yourself.

There is no comparison ....apart from them being black they have nothing in common apart from running with the ball like kaepernick, wilson or newton....Vick never lived up to his number 1 overrall pick name....he never amount to a good passer apart from the one year in 2010....wilson, kaepernick, rg3 and newton are doing more at a young age than vick ever did in his entire career

There is no comparison ....apart from them being black they have nothing in common apart from running with the ball like kaepernick, wilson or newton....Vick never lived up to his number 1 overrall pick name....he never amount to a good passer apart from the one year in 2010....wilson, kaepernick, rg3 and newton are doing more at a young age than vick ever did in his entire career

RG3 is far more exciting to watch than Wilson, Kaep and Cam. Last QB to come into the league, who was that exciting was Vick. RG3 and Vick both have amazing distance to their throws and both are black. Cunningham was the other QB I'd compare them too.

I said it was lazy and racist, but if you can't see it, you're trying not to.

There is that perspective.  But they are very much alike, regardless of color.  RG3 can make all the throws and can/will be a better pocket passer than Vick. None of the experts deny that RG3 can't play in the pocket.  But if you look at both QBs and break down stats, they are almost exactly alike.  

I used Vicks 2002 stats because he only played in 8 games his first year and we know that was at the end of a tanked season.  His true first year as a starter, he played in 15 games just like RG3.  Here is the break down:

RG3 - 6'2", 217lbs, Olympic track speed   vs. Vick - 6'0', 215lbs, fastest QB in the league (fastest combine 40)

Rushing stats:  RG3 120 rushes for 815 yards; 7 TDs    vs Vick - 113 rushes for 777 yards; 8 TDs

Passing stats:  RG3 - 258 completions/393 attempts for 3200 yards; 20 TDs

Vick - 231 completions/421 attempts for 2936 yards; 16 TDs

Stats are almost identical, size weight and speed almost identical.  Sure we ran a read option look a lot last year and they didnt run that in ATL for Vick, but RG3 had the option to run, hand off or pass.  And if Im not mistaken, they had designed run plays for Vick his entire career in ATL (except the one year they tried to force him to stay in the pocket).  

RG3 is the better pocket passer, better accuracy, etc., but at the end of the day, he runs a lot and he also had the choice to compromise and take off on non-option plays too, just like Vick.  The only thing separating them is RG3 is the better passer and can have success in the pocket, where Vick to be at his best, needs to roll out and make plays happen, use his legs more.  

The only way the comparison is going to change/end is when RG3 stays in the pocket more and only runs on occasion.  

This gets old. I think people like to be outraged and think people are saying they are the same QB.

RG3 played one season and didn't finish it. Vick is my least favorite player in the league and has been. Does't mean you can't compare them.

I think RG3 will prove to be much different and much better, but right now, they're pretty similar.

The comparison is lazy. I'd lean more to the Cunningham comparison. More about the mobility in the pocket and passing ability. RGIII hung tough until he was out options then took off. I.E the ATL game. Vick would've been took off or threw it away.(which in this case was the right choice) Look at the game winning drive against Tampa. When ever he took off the pocket was gone and no one could get open. Besides, our offense is designed to take advantage of his athleticism. The read option doesn't work if you know the QB won't keep. When ever he did it was him and a sideline.

He's a black QB so he has to be compared to a black QB just like how every white WR is wes welker or every white rapper is unfairly compared to only "Eminem". Winning will change it we just have to ignore the lazy comparisons as fans in the mean time. 

Which white QB is RG3 most like? Which QB is RG3 most like in the NFL right now?

Faster than anybody else, has a great deep ball, doesn't sit in the pocket long (even by design, he doesn't), similar size, etc?

Who is a better successful QB to compare RG3 to, then Vick?

I ****ing hate Vick btw.

Archived