Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Golf Thread

skinfan2k

We have it for baseball but we don't have it for Golf.  Thursday is the start of the Open Championship! 

This legend group should be one group to watch: Nick Faldo, England; Tom Watson, United States; Fred Couples, United States.

Can Tiger win another major?  Can Phil win his first open championship?  Can Ernie repeat?  Can Jason Day win his first major?

This is an all golf thread so I THINK this applies ...

A guy I know just got some really nice clubs handed down to him from his dad. He was already playing with his dad's other old set that's really nice ... and now has a conglomeration of clubs he's trying to sell off. He already sold his old irons, but he still has the following clubs ... all of which are pretty well used except the putter:

- TaylorMade R5 Driver

- TaylorMade Burner Rescue 19, 22, 25 Degree Woods (3, 4, 5)

- Odyssey White Steel #1 Putter

I just got back into golf this year but have been playing a lot. I went out and got a new iron set back in March for $300 on sale from Dicks ... so this is what I have:

- Callaway Diablo Type-R Irons

- Maxfli standard set driver (from my Dad) - new but he had a custom driver he uses

- Maxfli standard set putter (from my Dad) - new but he had a custom putter he uses

- MacGregor standard set 3 and 5 wood (from my old set that I just replaced the irons on)

For those that are club knowledgeable ... all of the ones I have a chance of buying off this guy are pretty nice ... but old. I can't imagine he'll be asking a lot. I do want at least a new driver and putter ... and at least one of the rescue woods ... but I doubt I need all of them. Which are the most valuable? And even better, if you can, what are reasonable prices for those clubs.

I already heavily invested (by my wallet's standards) in irons and was not going to upgrade elsewhere until I felt it necessary. I don't NEED these new clubs, but to buy similar ones new would break my bank at some point. So this could be a good deal for me.

Thanks!

JMS - first of all, great idea on getting the irons first.  I had a starter set, and got Cobra AMP's last year, and i was hitting my Cobra 7 iron as far as i hit my stareter set 5 iron.

Anyway, I suggest you go one at a time, over time, and get new for a driver and putter.  Hybrid/Woods, you can go either new or used. 

First - get the driver.  There are many opinions out there on do you even need a driver?  hit your best iron off the tee, etc.  What I was taught if you get a driver you are comfy with, and can hit straight and well, you have an advantage over many on a course.  When the Taylormade R1's came out, I picked up an R11s for just under $200.  That club sold like hotcakes at $400, so to get for under $200 is a deal.

Next - find a putter you like, comfortable, feels right, and get it.  Its the only club you will use on all holes and most of the time multiple times.  AND it should last you the longest.  I bought a Never Compromise for $140 (well, I had a gift card i won in a closest to the hole to help defray), and expect to have it for about 10-15 years.  If i keep it 10 years, it's only $14 a year.

Now for hybrids and woods you can probably save a few and get used.  Reason being is most of the holes you will use these are your Par 5's.  Obviously mis hits on a par 4 or a longer 4 or 3, but most public courses it will be your par 5's.  Make sure you are comfy, and you can probably get either only a 3 or 5 wood....and just a 3 hybrid.

I don't hit a 3 wood, i carry a 5 wood.  I hit it straighter, but sacrifice distance.  I need a new 5 wood, mine is from my starter set, i'm activiley looking at brands prices.  As well as my 3 hybrid, which i love.  i want to make sure i find one i'm comfy with!

Hope i helped a touch!

Thanks superoz! That makes a lot of sense. He's going to let me take them out and test them. I think I saw that the TaylorMade R5 came out in 2005. Since it was originally his dad's and then handed down to him ... I would be the 3rd person to use it ... so I'm not sure if that diminishes its quality significantly? I think he was going to ask $30-40 for it. But at the end of the day, I don't think either of us know its true value. The putter is essentially brand new, and I putted it around the carpet a few times and loved how it felt in my hands. I think I saw it on ebay for something like $100 ... so if I could get that from him for $30-40 it might be a good deal too.

The club that makes me most nervous is the hyrbid 3W (19 degree). He has the set of 19, 22, 25 (3, 4, 5) ... but I can't imagine I would need all 3. But I would like to take that one and hit it a bit before committing. I have no idea what he is going to ask for it, but I was just down in Myrtle with some buddies and they were straight up struggling with their hyrbid woods. It didn't give me much in terms of confidence ... but I also know one of my best clubs is my starter set 5W ... and while I can't hit my 3W worth a damn in the fairway, I hit it well off the tee when needed ... so I'm thinking I may do well with a Hybrid 3W ... I just wanna hit it a few times.

I might offer to buy the Driver, Putter, and Rescue 3W for $100 ... but I don't know if that's being ripped off or if that's completely short-changing him. I don't think either of us really know haha.

Thanks superoz! That makes a lot of sense. He's going to let me take them out and test them. I think I saw that the TaylorMade R5 came out in 2005. Since it was originally his dad's and then handed down to him ... I would be the 3rd person to use it ... so I'm not sure if that diminishes its quality significantly? I think he was going to ask $30-40 for it. But at the end of the day, I don't think either of us know its true value. The putter is essentially brand new, and I putted it around the carpet a few times and loved how it felt in my hands. I think I saw it on ebay for something like $100 ... so if I could get that from him for $30-40 it might be a good deal too.

The club that makes me most nervous is the hyrbid 3W (19 degree). He has the set of 19, 22, 25 (3, 4, 5) ... but I can't imagine I would need all 3. But I would like to take that one and hit it a bit before committing. I have no idea what he is going to ask for it, but I was just down in Myrtle with some buddies and they were straight up struggling with their hyrbid woods. It didn't give me much in terms of confidence ... but I also know one of my best clubs is my starter set 5W ... and while I can't hit my 3W worth a damn in the fairway, I hit it well off the tee when needed ... so I'm thinking I may do well with a Hybrid 3W ... I just wanna hit it a few times.

I might offer to buy the Driver, Putter, and Rescue 3W for $100 ... but I don't know if that's being ripped off or if that's completely short-changing him. I don't think either of us really know haha.

I don't find myself ever using my 3W.  For me, it's just too inconsistent and I find myself just better off laying up instead of going for it.  The only places I really find a need for it are on par 5's which for the most part, I lay up on anyway.  If you're 250-300 out for your second shot, it's probably not going to get you there and you can be more effective with a 5W. 

It really depends on your thought process.  If you have a good driver and can control it most of the time then you won't need anything else off the tee.

When I got the R11, I sold my R7 to my buddy for a shot and a 6 pack before a round, which came to about $20 or so.  I wouldn't pay more than $20 for the R5.  Especially if you are the 3rd person using it.  Reason being, if you are going to continue to golf more, you will find yourself buying a new one anyway (My buddy who bought the R7 bought a new one 6 months later).  There are many new drivers that end up on sale between 100-150 that are worth every penny.

If you like his putter, go for it!

As far as the hybrids, it's a hybrid Iron, not a hybrid wood.  So your your set would be Driver, 3W, 5W, Hybrid 3I, etc.  So you do have a lot less distance than a 3wood.  I recomend picking up the used one from him, as you will be able to judge the club.  Its a great club to learn to hit!  Great distance, and easier than a normal 3 iron.

Ah, okay I guess I am totally missing the concept of a hybrid haha. I just thought it was a smaller, easier to hit fairway wood. I'll be sure to test them out before purchasing them. Since I don't have a 3I I would probably snag the 19 degree rescue. 

Good points on the driver. I feel like it's better than my Maxfli that I've just started hitting really well, so any improvement is good. But I'm also not in a position to go drop $100 on a driver, even. I thnk my best bet for the next couple years is to just inherit what I can from my Dad and get some used ones on the side and piece together a decent set until I can afford to upgrade with new stuff.

I think hybrid irons have been a godsend for the mid to high handicapper, since they usually cannot hit long irons with any consistency.

I'm a high handicapper. But I do hit my irons well. In fact, my best club as of late, besides my driver is my 4 Iron. I just can't get any more juice on that club. If I drive out 260 ... and it's a Par 5 ... I've got 250 left to the green ... my 4 Iron can get me within 30-40 yards, but no shot at getting at the green.

Now that's getting greedy ... but I just don't have a fairway option that gets me more than 210-220 yards (my 3 wood would, but I can't hit that damn thing haha)

I get really good distance on my clubs ... I just struggle with accuracy. I did, one time years ago, hit a Par 5 in two with a 250 yard 3 wood in the fairway ... but that was the one time out of ten that I don't top that 3W 50 yards, so that club has been retired from the fairway altogether haha

I think hybrid irons have been a godsend for the mid to high handicapper, since they usually cannot hit long irons with any consistency.

I'm a high handicapper. But I do hit my irons well. In fact, my best club as of late, besides my driver is my 4 Iron. I just can't get any more juice on that club. If I drive out 260 ... and it's a Par 5 ... I've got 250 left to the green ... my 4 Iron can get me within 30-40 yards, but no shot at getting at the green.

Now that's getting greedy ... but I just don't have a fairway option that gets me more than 210-220 yards (my 3 wood would, but I can't hit that damn thing haha)

I get really good distance on my clubs ... I just struggle with accuracy. I did, one time years ago, hit a Par 5 in two with a 250 yard 3 wood in the fairway ... but that was the one time out of ten that I don't top that 3W 50 yards, so that club has been retired from the fairway altogether haha

That's when you learn to hit your wedges. 

:)

110 lol

The average amateur (weekend) golf score is right around 100. I assume if you make a smarmy comment you are shooting in the high 70s and have finished in the top ten in at least one tournament.

I play normally once a month but work and family don't allow practice time I normally shoot 100-105, my best nine holes was 47. I play with a few guys who shoot in the high eighties consistently the thing that really separates us is mid iron and putting consistently.

110 lol

The average amateur (weekend) golf score is right around 100. I assume if you make a smarmy comment you are shooting in the high 70s and have finished in the top ten in at least one tournament.

I play normally once a month but work and family don't allow practice time I normally shoot 100-105, my best nine holes was 47. I play with a few guys who shoot in the high eighties consistently the thing that really separates us is mid iron and putting consistently.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that the average score is 100. It's pretty much inpossible to know that.

If you must know, I haven't shot a score like that in at least 15 years.

Let's play bad news/good news with Phil. Bad news: You're not winning

the Open Championship. Good news: You and all your fans don't have to

worry about a heartbreaking finish on Sunday. Bad news: The course is

not gonna get any easier over the weekend. Good news: You can continue

to blame the R&A for the setup and not face up to the fact you're

missing fairways with the club you DESIGNED to be more controllable than

your driver. I have an idea for you: Next time someone asks you about

the course setup, use the standard, "Well, we all have to play the same

course ..." answer. Then, when you play badly, the next day people can

sympathize with you.

:unsure:

Archived