Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordan Davis, the next Trayvon Martin? Is FL law the problem?

NoCalMike

Black, 17, and Shot Dead in Florida: Why Isn't Jordan Davis Getting the Attention Travyon Martin Is?

http://www.policymic.com/articles/54339/black-17-and-shot-dead-in-florida-why-isn-t-jordan-davis-getting-the-attention-travyon-martin-is

Agenda setting in the news has the power to leave news consumers in the dark about timely, relevant and important topics.

Take this developing story, for example.

In November, black youth Jordan Davis, a 17-year-old Jacksonville resident, was the only person murdered after Michael Dunn, 46, allegedly shot into the SUV Davis was inside several times after an argument about the volume of music playing.

According to Dunn's girlfriend, Rhonda Rouer, Dunn had three rum and cokes at a wedding reception. She felt secure enough for him to drive and thought that he was a good mood. On the drive back to the hotel they were residing at, they made a pit stop at the convenience store where the murder occurred. At the Gate Station, Rouer said Dunn told her that he hated "thug music." Rouer then went inside the store to make purchases and heard several gunshots while she was still within the building.

Upon returning and seeing Dunn put his gun back into the glove compartment, Rouer asked why he had shot at the car playing music and Dunn claimed that he feared for his life and that "they threatened to kill me." The couple drove back to their hotel, and claim they did not realize anyone had died until the story appeared on the news the next day. 

On the other side of the case, the defense (baselessly, it seems) argues that the teens in the car may or may not have had a weapon stashed inside of the SUV.

Dunn is being charged with first-degree murder, as well as three counts of attempted murder. Rouer described Dunn as "easy-going" but passionate about politics and gun control. 

The latest news on the case concerns the decision of Circuit Judge Mallory Cooper removing herself from presiding over the case. She is the second judge to leave, after the first judge, Suzanne Bass, was asked to step down in order to ensure a fair trial. Judge Russell Healey is now the third judge to be appointed to the case. The state will not be paying for Dunn's defense fees.

Without solid evidence from both sides and one surveillance video that only shows the story from the inside of the convenience store, this case has a long way to go.

It's more or less the same story all over again: a white man shooting a black teenager dead in Florida in a tragic dispute that perhaps could have been avoided. Yet, why is Jacksonville trial of Michael Dunn and Jordan Davis not receiving the same amount of media attention or criticism as the George Zimmerman vs. Trayvon Martin case?

Do the airwaves, newspapers and Twitter feeds have enough room for the prominence of one type of vaguely race-charged crime? Or crimes that could tie into the debate on gun control? Or goodness forbid, when both topics intersect.

Whatever the reason, there is no one to blame but the national media for more or less skipping this one over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems more clear case of straight up murder by a guy who might have been slightly buzzed, then the GZ/TM case, but once again, without a witness, how will "I felt my life was being threatened" be proven or not proven?

After further reading, I think maybe this case didn't receive the same attention because the guy was actually arrested and charged with 1st degree murder. 

Will be interesting to see if the trial itself though gets any attention based on the "my life was being threatened" defense that the guy will presume to use?

I don't see any similarities in the cases. Dunn could have simply got in his car and dove away. They were not physically touching him. The other vehicle was driving away. There were no direct threats to Dunn nor hs well being. He was dunk, didn't like thug mic, and popped off some shots at guys that pissed him off. He murdered a kid for no reason. Believe GZ or not, the evidence in the case failed to support murder. We don't need to twist every case involving black kids into "the next" Trayvon Martin. Ths case is pretty straight forward. Murder. Slam dunk.

The similarities are that the guy with the gun initiated the confrontation, shot an unarmed person, and is claiming self defense.

That doesn't mean every single detail of each case is the same or that one case doesn't appear more clear cut than the other.

agreed, very tenuous similarities... 

(and agree with the ".. the evidence in the case failed to support murder." assesment of zim, (as opposed to exonerated him).

Question... why the hell does the general public have the footage of interogation in an active criminal investigation??  (i didn't open thelink, but that is what it SOUNDED like was there)

The similarities are that the guy with the gun initiated the confrontation, shot an unarmed person, and is claiming self defense.

That doesn't mean every single detail of each case is the same or that one case doesn't appear more clear cut than the other.

Using that standard, I would imagine the majority of murders are similar.

Using that standard, I would imagine the majority of murders are similar.

Yeah every murder case with an unarmed underage black victim that is shot and killed by an older white adult in the state of Florida would be similar. 

agreed, very tenuous similarities... 

(and agree with the ".. the evidence in the case failed to support murder." assesment of zim, (as opposed to exonerated him).

Question... why the hell does the general public have the footage of interogation in an active criminal investigation??  (i didn't open thelink, but that is what it SOUNDED like was there)

Florida has a sunshine law(or something like it) that makes many records /documents public

I've been following this since it has happened back in Nov. I'm not sure when the trial is, but this is 1st degree murder in my opinion. This is not self-defense because someone was talking back to you. I would hate to see what happens if you make hand gestures at a person like this. 

Whatever the reason, there is no one to blame but the national media for more or less skipping this one over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems more clear case of straight up murder by a guy who might have been slightly buzzed, then the GZ/TM case, but once again, without a witness, how will "I felt my life was being threatened" be proven or not proven?

I think you answered your own question here as well in terms of the lack of national media coverage.

It doesn't sound remotely similar.

Zimmerman claimed that he was punched and beaten against the sidewalk for nearly a minute before he pulled his gun. This guy claims that there was loud music.

You can choose not to believe his story, but the claims are not similar at all.

I agree, I don't see any similarities at all. I hate thug music, too, but why did the guy feel threatened? Did he approach them and ask them to turn it down, and they threatened him? And how were there no witnesses, if there were other people in the SUV?

The similarities are that the guy with the gun initiated the confrontation, shot an unarmed person, and is claiming self defense.

There was no proof that Zimmerman initiated the fight.

Zimmerman claimed that he was punched and beaten against the sidewalk for nearly a minute before he pulled his gun. This guy claims that there was loud music.

I agree, I don't see any similarities at all. I hate thug music, too, but why did the guy feel threatened? Did he approach them and ask them to turn it down, and they threatened him? And how were there no witnesses, if there were other people in the SUV?

>The similarities are that the guy with the gun initiated the confrontation, shot an unarmed person, and is claiming self defense.

What is thug music?

>

>The similarities are that the guy with the gun initiated the confrontation, shot an unarmed person, and is claiming self defense.

>

What is thug music?
LOL I can't speak for anyone else, but I basically consider rap music of any kind to be thug music. I just think its crap, similar to how most black folks view country music (I don't like country either).

I think it's a mistake to try and compare any cases where a person or persons of one race, shoot and kill a person or persons of another race with the Zimmerman case.

There is no broad conspiracy to hide or brush aside any of them despite what the racewhores of the world want us to think.

The guy claims he approached the SUV asked them to turn down the music, and they complied, but then he saw a guy in the back (Jordan Davis) getting angry, and he claims he saw one of them "lift up a shotgun" and then says Jordan Davis exited the vehicle.

No gun was found in the SUV or on site

That doesn't mean every single detail of each case is the same or that one case doesn't appear more clear cut than the

other.

What is thug music?

I was actually going to ask that, but figured it would derail the thread.. So i refrained. I love ES 

>

>ockquote>There was no proof that Zimmerman initiated the fight.
What is thug music?
LOL I can't speak for anyone else, but I basically consider rap music of any kind to be thug music. I just think its crap, similar to how most black folks view country music (I don't like country either).

You called Country Music and Rap crap? We are not friends anymore BS lol

On second thought, I do think most mainstream rap is crap.

I think the biggest difference is that this killer wasn't a security officer in contact with the police.

this is a clown who initiated a confrontation and killed someone.

Now, if he is somehow not guilty due to stand your ground while the evidence shows no other weapons, then we can talk about a whole list of things. If it's a convenience store, there's likely video.

~Bang

Archived