Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Speaking of questionable hat choices . . . "Free Hernandez"?

Mursilis

The Pouncey twins were seen sporting "Free Hernandez" hats while celebrating their birthdays. 

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/07/14/the-pouncey-twins-going-out-attire-last-night-included-free-hernandez-hats/?sct=uk_t2_a6

Wow.  I think loyalty to a guy you played with in college is fine and even admirable, but loyalty should have limits.  If the evidence strongly suggests you were involved in one and maybe even multiple murders, I'm not going to argue you should be released just because we used to be teammates. 

That's something I don't really like, at all. Yes, according to our legal system (and I agree with this), everyone is innocent until proven guilty. But as soon as some high profile person, or in some cases just about anyone, gets arrested, there's a huge "free x" movement, no matter what they did.

Yeah, there are a lot of things wrong with the legal system. but not everyone is incarcerated unjustly. To make a mockery of the system like this is ridiculous.

That's something I don't really like, at all. Yes, according to our legal system (and I agree with this), everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Actually, you're presumed innocent.  If you actually did the crime, you're guilty as soon as you did it.  A jury may find you innocent, but you're still, in a factual sense, guilty, even if you're found legally innocent. 

Sometimes I see people do things.  And then I say to myself, "what made them possibly think this was a good idea?"

This is one of those times.

That's something I don't really like, at all. Yes, according to our legal system (and I agree with this), everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Actually, you're presumed innocent.  If you actually did the crime, you're guilty as soon as you did it.  A jury may find you innocent, but you're still, in a factual sense, guilty, even if you're found legally innocent. 

Semantics bra

Look, neither of these guys were elected or represent anything or anyone other than themselves. They were 1st rd draft picks because of their size and skill sets. Innocent until proven guilty is the said law of the land. So stupidly is not illegal. The case is over, like it or lump it the verdict is in. Remember, no one watches football to see how smart these guys are.

The Pouncey twins were seen sporting "Free Hernandez" hats while celebrating their birthdays. 

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/07/14/the-pouncey-twins-going-out-attire-last-night-included-free-hernandez-hats/?sct=uk_t2_a6

Wow.  I think loyalty to a guy you played with in college is fine and even admirable, but loyalty should have limits.  If the evidence strongly suggests you were involved in one and maybe even multiple murders, I'm not going to argue you should be released just because we used to be teammates. 

Yeah but if you're implicated in one said act as accomplices. Then yes, you give your unrestricted,unlimited,unabashed all to the guy who's already in custody possibly looking at life. Its amazing how time behind bars can really change that no snitching mentality.

I see no problem with this. It's not like Hernandez was a pedophile or killed the elderly. There is no shame in being accociated with Hernandez if you were just friends with him. I don't expect old white men to understand. Different people live in different worlds.

Now THIS is a hat thing I think it dumb as dumb gets.

I see no problem with this. It's not like Hernandez was a pedophile or killed the elderly. There is no shame in being accociated with Hernandez if you were just friends with him. I don't expect old white men to understand. Different people live in different worlds.

...He's a ****ing murderer, dude.

Please tell me this is sarcasm..

What do you have a free OJ hat or something? What's next, free Trevino hats? Hernandez is a scumbag and had I been friends with him in college... If I couldn't see it then I'd def see now I made a seriously bad judgement on his character. Just shows again how out of touch some of the youth is in their thinking that they can just do and say whatever they want without consequence. These two are complete idiots in all the worlds you mention. So, you think it's ok to publicly support a cold blooded murderer who ends people's lives for talking to the wrong people at a club? Or shoots them in the eye after being in a night club? Or was most likely involved in a drive by shooting and killing last summer? Yeah, let's free Hernandez.

First of all you guys are looking at the hats in a wrong way. Sure they would like for Hernandez to beat these charges and be set a free man, but that is not the main reason behind those hats. I look at it as them showing support for a friend that needs all the support he can get since everyone is looking down on him. I mean prisoners still get visits and recieve letters from friends and love ones. First Take said its a hip hop culture thing, but I think it's a "we are still here for you when everyone else is against you" kind of thing.

It is a cultural thing not to be taken too literal. It is a show of support/loyalty to a friend/family/some one you admire not really to be taken as "let a murderer go free". If you feel as though it is stupid I can see that train of thought but you may not be aware of the subtext so keep that in mind. However I do understand the subtext and I really don't think it was a wise decision. In the end  though it will not effect the Pouncey brothers one way or the other. And to the person who posted it's not like he was a pedophile are you insinuating that killing someone over something so trivial is okay ?????

It is a cultural thing not to be taken too literal. It is a show of support/loyalty to a friend/family/some one you admire not really to be taken as "let a murderer go free". If you feel as though it is stupid I can see that train of thought but you may not be aware of the subtext so keep that in mind. However I do understand the subtext and I really don't think it was a wise decision. In the end  though it will not effect the Pouncey brothers one way or the other. And to the person who posted it's not like he was a pedophile are you insinuating that killing someone over something so trivial is okay ?????

It will affect them in so far as they aren't getting any endorsement deals any time soon.

" I look at it as them showing support for a friend that needs all the support he can get since everyone is looking down on him. " 

Wow, burgundyrush, talk about being oblivious. Everyone is looking down on him because he murdered people and threw away a good life. Wearing hats is a stupid way to support someone and with such a case you keep the support private. Frankly he shouldn't even be supported right now, but after in helping him make amends for everything. I wonder how you'd have felt over "Free Vick" hats given your sig.

First of all you guys are looking at the hats in a wrong way. Sure they would like for Hernandez to beat these charges and be set a free man, but that is not the main reason behind those hats. I look at it as them showing support for a friend that needs all the support he can get since everyone is looking down on him. I mean prisoners still get visits and recieve letters from friends and love ones. First Take said its a hip hop culture thing, but I think it's a "we are still here for you when everyone else is against you" kind of thing.

If it's a "hip hop culture" thing, then hip hop culture sucks.  It's one thing to say you're going to visit a friend or family member in jail and maybe send them a care package or something as a sign of support, but to say you hope he beats a murder rap just because he's your "homey" is taking loyalty to the point of stupidity.  I've had relatives face minor charges, and I tried to help them out however I could, but I've never said they should be set free just because they're kin.  If you did the crime, you need to be prepared to face the consequences.  I'd only want to see Hernandez set free for one reason - because the evidence proved he didn't do it.  And that's not looking likely in this case, because the evidence points right at him.  Saying someone should be allowed to get away with murder just because he's your friend is idiotic. 

You're right, we should show support to a cold blooded multiple murderer. No reason to look down on a guy who kills someone execution style for talking to people he doesn't like, right? That's just "old white guy" thinking I guess. We need to embrace these guys and hope they get out. And I can't believe that you think killing a young guy is somehow better than killing an older person.

People are outraged that others are happy that George Zimmerman was found innocent (not turning this into a GZ/TM thread, just using it as an example), but all of a sudden it's OK to wear a "Free Hernandez" hat because that's "part of the culture"?

What about if they were wearing "Free Eric Rivera", "Free Venjah Hunte", "Free Jason Mitchell", "Free Charles Wardlow", or "Free Timothy Brown" (the guys who were charged with killing Sean Taylor) hats?

You're right, we should show support to a cold blooded multiple murderer. No reason to look down on a guy who kills someone execution style for talking to people he doesn't like, right? That's just "old white guy" thinking I guess. We need to embrace these guys and hope they get out. And I can't believe that you think killing a young guy is somehow better than killing an older person.

People are outraged that others are happy that George Zimmerman was found innocent (not turning this into a GZ/TM thread, just using it as an example), but all of a sudden it's OK to wear a "Free Hernandez" hat because that's "part of the culture"?

What about if they were wearing "Free Eric Rivera", "Free Venjah Hunte", "Free Jason Mitchell", "Free Charles Wardlow", or "Free Timothy Brown" (the guys who were charged with killing Sean Taylor) hats?

I like the comparison....If someone wore a hat that said "Free Zimmerman" is that just hip hop culture? If not then why not?

If it's a "hip hop culture" thing, then hip hop culture sucks.  It's one thing to say you're going to visit a friend or family member in jail and maybe send them a care package or something as a sign of support, but to say you hope he beats a murder rap just because he's your "homey" is taking loyalty to the point of stupidity.  I've had relatives face minor charges, and I tried to help them out however I could, but I've never said they should be set free just because they're kin.  If you did the crime, you need to be prepared to face the consequences.  I'd only want to see Hernandez set free for one reason - because the evidence proved he didn't do it.  And that's not looking likely in this case, because the evidence points right at him.  Saying someone should be allowed to get away with murder just because he's your friend is idiotic. 

Well this display of support was born from African Americans in the "stupid hip hop culture" being disproportionately represented in the prison system to a sickening level , being convicted and serving jail time for the same crimes at a higher percentage then other races, and serving heavier sentences for these same crimes. You may feel there are better ways to show support but this is where the "Free xyz" I'm here for you display comes from. 

To say it is stupid when in reality you do not understand is misguided ..at best.

Now in this specific situation where all the evidence keeps popping up that points to their friend being a serial killer that's being loyal to a fault. Maybe they really feel he is innocent in all this. That's the only way I can fathom  the unwavering support.

You don't see the difference between people being outraged that a man who admitted to killing an unarmed child has people that are happy he walked (no personal relationships)

and two guys supporting their friend who even though the evidence points to it may have not necessarily killed anyone? ( I think he did for the record)  If there had been people with no personal ties to Hernandez wearing those hats then I could see the comparison.

I am not saying what they're doing is right or okay but that comparison sucks 

You don't see the difference between people being outraged that a man who admitted to killing an unarmed child has people that are happy he walked (no personal relationships) and two guys supporting their friend who even though the evidence points to it may have not necessarily killed anyone? ( I think he did for the record)  If there had been people with no personal ties to Hernandez wearing those hats then I could see the comparison.

I am not saying what they're doing is right or okay but that comparison sucks 

Not really. Again, this is the last I'm going to say on this, but in one case the killing was in self defense, and the shooter was up front about what happened. In the other case, someone killed at least one guy EXECUTION STYLE, then tried to hide and destroy the evidence, and people are okay with saying the first guy needs to go to jail and the second guy needs to be free. How is that in any way understandable?

Also, how would you feel if someone wore a "Free the guys who killed Sean Taylor" hat?

A guy I saw had a "George Zimmerman is the Man!" t-shirt. I see no problem with this. It's not like Zimmerman was a pedophile or killed the elderly. There is no shame in showing support for Zimmerman. I don't expect angry young black men to understand. Different people live in different worlds.

Now it doesn't sound as good, does it?

Archived