Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quick probability question for math folks

drtdrums

I've had a couple questions like this in the past and received help promptly, so I figured I'd try again. Thanks in advance!

Physiological Condition 1 has an epidemiological occurrence of 0.00026/1.

Physiological Condition 2 has an epidemiological occurrence of 0.034/1.

Physiological Condition 3 has an epidemiological occurrence of 0.00008/1.

What is the epidemiological probability, stated as a percentage, that one person has all three conditions?

.00000007%?

I think you are missing two 0s...

You can calculate the probability of two or more independent events by multiplying their individual probabilities. 

P(A and B and C) = P(A) x P( B ) x P( C )

.00026 x .034 x .00008 = .0000000007072

The full answer reminds me of an old teacher I had...

She would have given me half credit if I didn't put the full answer because I didn't round up. Because of that I almost missed out on getting straight A's by 2 points but my mother went up and raised all kinds of hell lol....

.00000007%?

I think you are missing two 0s...

>You can calculate the probability of two or more independent events by multiplying their individual probabilities. 

P(A and B and C) = P(A) x P( B ) x P( C )

.00026 x .034 x .00008 = .0000000007072

The full answer reminds me of an old teacher I had...

She would have given me half credit if I didn't put the full answer because I didn't round up. Because of that I almost missed out on getting straight A's by 2 points but my mother went up and raised all kinds of hell lol....

I had a teacher like that. I learned to never round off the answer unless it specifically states you can. You'll never get partial credit for giving the complete answer. 

Would stating the correct probability as "1 in _____" format be:

1 in 1,414,027,149.32

?

Correct. To get the 1 in xxx format, just divide 1 by the probability.

Gawd I hate statistics! My worst class in college by far. My professor used to work for NASA on the Apollo project as a statistician. I always said that he was probably the sole cause of Apollo 13. His lectures were all over the place and he kept covering the same things using different terminology which confused all of us. My notes were a mess I ended up skipping lectures and doing all of my studying from the textbook.  By doing that I brought my grade from a B- to an A. 

Of course after that I did the same thing for the rest of my classes, only showing up for labs and exams, and raised my GPA by over 1 point. I think I have ADD and just couldn't focus in class.  :D

Gawd I hate statistics! My worst class in college by far. My professor used to work for NASA on the Apollo project as a statistician. I always said that he was probably the sole cause of Apollo 13. His lectures were all over the place and he kept covering the same things using different terminology which confused all of us. My notes were a mess I ended up skipping lectures and doing all of my studying from the textbook.  By doing that I brought my grade from a B- to an A. 

Of course after that I did the same thing for the rest of my classes, only showing up for labs and exams, and raised my GPA by over 1 point. I think I have ADD and just couldn't focus in class.  :D

Man, I can't even do that at my school. If we miss a certain amount of classes we get an automatic F. That is university wide. :(

Of course, observing that were all assuming that these three probabilities are independent.

Often when we're talking about medical conditions and a single person, they aren't.

But then, if they aren't independent, then you can't answer the question.

Archived