Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

House Broken into last night, Any Home Security System Suggestions?

Chew

Had the scare of my life last night, and this morning I need some advice on home security LOL.  Forgive me if there's already a similar thread, but the search feature isn't working and I need this thing installed by the weekend.

Wife nudged me this morning at 3:40 AM, saying she heard a loud bang, and 5 seconds later our dogs started going berzerk downstairs.  They hardly ever bark at all, and it went on and on for about 30 seconds without them stopping.  I started to get freaked out thinking it was something serious because I've never heard out dogs bark like that before.  Then we heard another bang.  oh ****, this is really happening.  there's somebody in our house.

I told my wife to get in the closet and handed her the .40 caliber and she called 911.  I grabbed the shotgun and went downstairs.  Now you may ask, why would I go down there instead of wait for the cops?  Well, we don't have any kids yet, so my dogs are my kids, and I'll be damned is some crackhead does them any harm LOL. 

Anywho, I crept downstairs and around the corner...coudln't see anything from the dim night light we have setup next to the dog's kennels.  I turned the lights on...nothing.  Basement doorway is so full of crap I knew he didn't go down there.  went through the kitchen to check the garage door...it was unlocked (we always lock it). I opened the garage, and the exterior garage door was open.  I looked in the cars, nothing.  Our garage light has a timer, it shuts off automatically 3 minutes after the door closes.  Well, the auto-light went off while I was searching through the garage, meaning the exterior garage door had opened within the last 3 minutes.  went outside and looked around.  It was pitch black, couldn't see squat. I was just standing there in the middle of the street with a shotgun in my underwear lol.   

A couple squad cars came, took our info, walked through the house with me.  Nothing was missing, I assume our dogs freaked out whoever came in our house and they hauled ass immediately.  We live in a very safe neighborhood, a new housing development with homes still being built up around us.  It's a secluded development too, our neighborhood is over a mile from the main road, and we don't get any foot traffic at all from non-residents.   I looked at the Sheriff's website and noticed several break ins/burglaries in our development and other developments within 2-3 miles of us within the last 6 months.  The cops mentioned that as well.  Sorry for the long-winded story, but man was it creepy.  I feel so violated.  :(

Not sure how/why our house was targeted, but regardless, the wife said she wants a security system installed asap.  She's also going to order some IP camers to place around the house. 

So anywho, ADT?  Lifeshield?  Front Point?  I have zero experience with this stuff.  Was hoping DirecTV might have some kind of bundle with a home security provider, but couldn't find anything.  Thanks in advance for any input, as I'm hoping to setup the install today.

I used ADT in the and it works pretty well. ( plus I got a discount on my homeowners insurance)

Your best alarm is the dogs though.  I would imagine they are what really stopped the burglar.

Be sure to check with your homeowners insurance regarding the alarm.   We ended up getting the alarm and smoke detector and both qualified for discounted insurance rates for our home. ( around ten percent I think)

Damn, that must have been frightening... good for your dogs, though! Scared the **** out of there.... I know you wanted to protect the dogs but before heading downstairs, you should probably rack that shotgun good and loud (if its a pump)- that would likely scare the bee-jeezus out of any crook, so there wont be a confrontation...

We have had a rash in our neighborhood, too... got into my car twice in the last 2 years (took my precious change and Sirius radios) and my neighbors basement was broken into... nothing taken, though and several other homes.

I dont have a security system but I do have some ADT stickers on my basement doors and windows - the most vulnerable spots in my house. Hoepfully they have helped.

ADT is pretty good. I would recommend, if you pan on staying in your house long term, that you buy your own equipment and have a wired alarm system installed, and then you can shop around for the best fit for monitoring. It will cost you more up front, but you own and can terminate monitoring with one company and jump to a better company if you aren't satisfied.

Go with a local alarm company.  They will be cheaper and work through a co-op of multiple mom and pops for monitoring.

Honestly though, your dogs are probably enough of a deterent.  Get some signs saying you have dogs, and some window stickers and yard signs for alarms.

There is also a stand alone system that works off of sound waves or some other type of wave.  Basically when you have in activated, you can move freely within the house, but it will go off if anyone opens a door, window, etc. 

I have Petitbon Alarm here in MD.  Richie Petitbon's son will come personally and give you a quote.

Most alarm companies sell the same equipment.  You should interview 3 companies and hire the ones that sound the most competent.  The ADT guy that came to my house was an idiot.

Sorry you had to go through with that youngchew.

I'm glad no one was hurt, the pups are in good shape, and nothing was taking.

That feeling of "violation" will go with time.  But the frustration of that feeling sucks, brother.  I can relate.

They probably dipped out when they heard the dogs barking.  Most of the time robbers don't like to **** with houses that have dogs, so these guys didn't do their homework very well.  They were probably in and out of there in a few seconds.

I don't know much about security systems... I was going to suggest a few weapons but it looks like you are in good shape there ;)

Just wanted to give you some support and wish you guys luck in the future.

See if you can order some window stickers or lawn signs that indicate you have a security system. WAY cheaper than actually paying for one. "This home is protected by ____" is a good deterent for potential criminals, just like your dogs proved to be.

I don't have an alarm system and I wanted to get a sign to put in the front flower bed.  I need to figure out how to make one. 

See if you can order some window stickers or lawn signs that indicate you have a security system. WAY cheaper than actually paying for one. "This home is protected by ____" is a good deterent for potential criminals, just like your dogs proved to be.

I don't have an alarm system and I wanted to get a sign to put in the front flower bed.  I need to figure out how to make one. 

Widely available on Amazon. Some very legit looking (might be OEM) ones from Brinks for a pretty penny. This looks good though:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-Security-Yard-Sign/dp/B0050IP0Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373474634&sr=8-1&keywords=home+security+signs

edit- here's the search, lots of options: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=home%20security%20signs&sprefix=home+sec%2Caps%2C119

You want one of the most effective things you can get from a cost/benefit standpoint?  Install motion-sensor flood lights outside.  Have one aimed at the garage entrance area, another maybe at the back door/side entrances.  Seriously, those are a great deterrent.  Most creepers want nothing to do with the place once those start coming on.

Glad everything is ok - I've heard great things about ADT, my house is wired for security (not sure by who but looks pretty legit) from when we moved it but we currently don't have it activated although there is still the beep anytime a door opens so that is nice.

I do have a follow-up question that I will post in the Zimmerman Trial Thread as I think it relates to that as I don't want to derail the thread.

Go with a multi-tiered approach. Security system is a good deterrent. 

-Secure all your entry points. No garage door openers unsecured in cars outside.

-Make your house less of a target, reduce shrubbery that can be used to conceal intruders. 

-Motion lights

-Cameras, even if they are just for show.

-Thing with security systems is that a pro will know how to disable or know how much response time is likely to be. If it's tripped, ADT will call first and all that. 

-Pumping the shot gun won't do much good—it really isn't that loud. Announcing you are armed is probably a better approach. I have a co-worker (ex-military) who now does home invasion scenarios and he recommends shotguns. Particularly if you have children, because the shot is less likely to pierce drywall. 

Stickers and signs don't work.  I have them all over my apartment and we still got broken into.  Most people stop using their alarm systems after a few months because they get tired of arming and disarming, unfortunately burglars know this and don't care if a home says it's protected.  Professionals are in and out before anyone has a chance to respond.  I was gone from my apartment for no longer than an hour and I guarantee the burglar was in our house for a total of maybe 90 seconds.  Just took electronics that fit into a backpack and was gone.  Since then I got a dog.  Dog's are definitely a good deterrent.  I would def get ADT or something, don't jsut rely on stickers.

Archived