Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 NFL Cap Tracker

TheREALJBird

Man, talk about a change. I must've looked through the top 10 (okay, top 5) teams multiple times thinking I'd missed us.

27?! Holy crap! I know we have players (Rak, Fred) that have expiring contracts that the team needs to make a decision on...but at the same time, we have plenty of cap room to do it!

Oh, and suck it Seattle. You'd better hope you win the SB this year because you're cap screwed next year.

Davis,Orakpo, and Riley come due next year I believe, in addition to any non-rookies from the secondary we'd like to retain. I think Trent, Kerrigan, Jenkins, and Hankerson come due the next year. The interesting thing will be Morris and RGIII, since they can technically renegotiate after year 3, which would be after the 2014 season.

Still, we have the money for it, which is awesome.

Cowboys are going to need to totally tear their team down. They need to replace all their aging stars and their QB. It's going to be fun to watch.

Orakpo, Davis and Riley are the highlights, though there are some other guys that should/could play key roles this year - Wilson (Hall too, right?), Biggers, Meriweather, Morgan, R. Jackson, Baker, Doughty that will be free agents as well. Along with Santana and Fletcher, of course.

Interesting that this is a make or break year for most of these guys. Also interesting that most of them already have a young guy in the wings that the coaches will have this year to evaluate.

Sorry, where are you getting the info that the cap is going to escalate in 2014? All accounts show that the cap will remain flat through 2015 and then escalate in 2016 and beyond.

Sports Business

I said I believed that was the year, I pulled this link directly off of ESPN. Regardless of the cap if it skyrockets or is just a moderate increase we are still in the bottom part of the league so we certainly have some leniency

And with what Bruce Allen has done with no Cap money, I am really looking forward to see what he can do with plenty of Cap space. Have

They counted D Hall's 9m cap hit for

Next year in these numbers or are they up to date with that no longer

Being on the books.

HTTR

Sorry, where are you getting the info that the cap is going to escalate in 2014? All accounts show that the cap will remain flat through 2015 and then escalate in 2016 and beyond.

Sports Business

I said I believed that was the year, I pulled this link directly off of ESPN. Regardless of the cap if it skyrockets or is just a moderate increase we are still in the bottom part of the league so we certainly have some leniency

Not a problem JBird, just trying to help keep the thread accurate. You are right that the Skins will have a ton of cap space next year.Almost a "Kid in a candy shop" type of money.

I love how we should have enough cap room to keep the core of this team together for years to come, but am I the only one concerned that the Cowturd's cap hell might help them become a better team down the road by unloading their "star" players (i.e. Romo sits to pee and his crazy contract)?

I love how we should have enough cap room to keep the core of this team together for years to come, but am I the only one concerned that the Cowturd's cap hell might help them become a better team down the road by unloading their "star" players (i.e. Romo sits to pee and his crazy contract)?

Even that situation is still a few years off. With Romo sits to pee's signing bonus, they not only can't afford the keep him, but they can't afford the cap hit it would cost to cut him.

Eventually? Sure, at some point they'll be so screwed that they'll have to suffer thru 2-3 years of actual cap hell that will give them lots of relief at the end. But for now, that's a long tunnel to be seeing any light at the end.

Mr. Jones: I cant see where Im going 

Romo sits to pee: Are we in a dark room?

Ware: I think we are in a tunnal.

Mr Jones: Then wheres the dam light at the end.

Romo sits to pee: Wheres the light at ? can I throw a interception to it ?

Mr Jones: Maybe, Try it!

Ware: *sounds like a great idea*

Mr Allen: Yo over here ! You need a light ?

Mr Jones: Yes we do, Who is that talking to me? 

Mr Allen: A real GM that helped the redskins get out of this very dark hole and drafted a very bad ass QB in RG3. So have fun running in the dark with no direction.

Mr Jones: .... 

Romo sits to pee: INTERCEPTION !!!! TOUCHDOWN !

O.o lol Sorry I had to do it...

And with what Bruce Allen has done with no Cap money, I am really looking forward to see what he can do with plenty of Cap space. Have

They counted D Hall's 9m cap hit for

Next year in these numbers or are they up to date with that no longer

Being on the books.

HTTR

According to SportTrac, D Hall counts for only 1M towards 2014 cap.

Research and GOOGLE is a good thing.

DeAngelo got released ... then re-signed. Remember, his cap hit for 2013 and 2014 prior to his release was NOT guaranteed, primarily because the first few years of his new contract were all guaranteed ... which is one of the reasons we got nailed for the cap penalty (him and Fat Al). DeAngelo being released wiped off the $9 million for 2013 and 2014, since there were not guaranteed portions in those years. I'm  not sure if he re-signed for more than 1 year though, so I don't think he would count toward 2014 at all.

We have a lot of space ... probably around $35 million when all is said and done. We have to set aside about $4.5 million to sign draft picks ... and we have a lot of guys coming out of contracts that we may want to re-sign ... not to mention who we may target in free agency ...

So a quick list of significant FAs:

Perry Riley (need to re-sign)

Brian Orakpo (need to re-sign)

Rob Jackson

DeAngelo Hall

Josh Wilson

EJ Biggers

Brandon Merriweather

Santana Moss

Joshua Morgan

Those are just off the top of my head. I doubt we bring them all back, but I think we do bring most of them back and that will dig pretty deep into our $35 million cap. We are also likely to target a RT and CB in free agency. I'm going to move forward assuming that safeties are either going to be groomed in house, or Merriweather will re-sign ... but I still think the team will go out and sign a top flight FA CB for big money to go along side David Amerson, Richard Crawford and probably EJ Biggers long-term (plus probably another early draft pick next year)

If the team ends up still having some money under the cap ... we are going to need to be creative with some of the contracts for Orakpo, Riley and any FA we bring in. If we can load them up front, that would be great ... take advantage of the space now so that when it comes time to re-up Trent, RGIII, Kerrigan, etc. we have plenty of money down the line to do so! It will help to have a bump up in 2015/2016 in the cap though.

Also ... we all read those articles this spring about how the Skins were being careful and didn't want to mortgage the future for the immediate. Meanwhile, Dallas was restructuring left and right just to get under the cap. Well, now we see the difference in the two strategies. Wow.

We have a lot of space ... probably around $35 million when all is said and done. We have to set aside about $4.5 million to sign draft picks ... and we have a lot of guys coming out of contracts that we may want to re-sign ... not to mention who we may target in free agency ...

So a quick list of significant FAs:

Perry Riley (need to re-sign)

Brian Orakpo (need to re-sign)

Rob Jackson

DeAngelo Hall

Josh Wilson

EJ Biggers

Brandon Merriweather

Santana Moss

Joshua Morgan

Those are just off the top of my head. I doubt we bring them all back, but I think we do bring most of them back and that will dig pretty deep into our $35 million cap. We are also likely to target a RT and CB in free agency. I'm going to move forward assuming that safeties are either going to be groomed in house, or Merriweather will re-sign ... but I still think the team will go out and sign a top flight FA CB for big money to go along side David Amerson, Richard Crawford and probably EJ Biggers long-term (plus probably another early draft pick next year)

I think of that list... I think only one person will end up paying top money for which is Orakpo... All of the other players on that list we should be able to play an average salary for their services...  So actually even if we sign them, I think we will have plenty of money to spend on the 2014 FAs. 

I have full faith in the Shanahan/Allen system to not to be overspending on any old players so I really think they will keep the major signings down to 1 to at most 2 players (not counting resigning such as Orakpo) so we will not blow all of our cap space in one offseason.

Remember at some point down the road, we need to resign RG3, Morris, Kerrigan and Trent Williams.

Archived