Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC- Siberia

Kilmer17

I kind of liked it and the like the premise (I think they'll tie it in to the Tunusgka Event), so I'll watch and see for a bit. I like predicting plot developments and it looks plenty of opportunity with this one. I certainly figure Harpreet & Berglind are not really gone from the show. They better not deprive me of seeing more of Berglind. 

I like the cinematography and it's technically well-done. I thought the theme hung together well enough but I was not watching it with the same investment I would a top notch show, yet.

NBC has also created yet another "reality" survivor/competition show with "Bear" Gryllis (sp) that seems essentially the same idea as "Siberia", but not limited to one locale and is an actual "reality" series. AND they plan to put it on the same night, right afterward. I know it's futile to wish for no more "reality" shows (a crippled term as they are ALL mostly, to almost entirely, scripted) because that's what sells. It's an interesting strategy to me, as the obvious idea is they both might feed each other's ratings if one or both are well-received, but I can see how it also might be counterproductive to either or both. If I live long enough, I may make a third career in Hollywood.  :P

Ok.... in an attempt to justify my naivete, last night was the 1st time I've watched any network TV in months (I usually catch up with everyone else via Netflix) and had only seen promos for this show on a TV at my neighborhood bar as background noise.

So, while cooking dinner last night I had NBC on checking out the American Ninja show, then decided to stay tuned for Siberia. I didn't realize it was a "fake" reality show until the end when the "staff" were being overly cavalier about a contestant death on the second day, and NBC airing the "raw" footage without even a "In Memory of..." blurb at the end.

So after a little Googling I got hip to the shows premise, but one thing has not been made clear (to me at least...). Are the contestants actors who are in on the whole script and this whole charade is basically a drama in RS format, or do they actually think they are on a reality show contest and we the viewers get to see them detiriorate mentally as it unfolds?

If it's the former, then I'm a little ****** that I wasted my time on it, but if the contestants are in real fear (until their "elimination" where they are let in on it), then I may keep watching, though the concept seems a little cruel.

Well a little more digging answered my question... It's 100 percent bogus. All the contestants are actors with their own pages and headshots. It's not an experiment on human reaction and sociology resulting from stressfull stimuli. Time... wasted... :angry:

I've already seen the Blair Witch, Lost, and Paranormal Activity. I don't need to watch it again.

I hate to break it to you but reality shows are scripted too. This one is just using better actors.

Hence, the reason why I don't watch much network TV because I never bought into "reality TV" but at least on most of them, the idea that someone "won" seemed legit. This one even has a scripted ending.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an odd show, not sure how I feel about it.  This is the first night I've watched it just because it came on after the new "Get Out Alive" show (which I admit, watched primarily to laugh gleefully at city girls decompensating while roughing it in the wilderness :lol:) and I was cleaning up after dinner.  I suppose I will keep watching to see where this goes...as long as there are dishes that need cleaning, ha

this show is a train wreck of horrid acting and dialogue.  After the death during the pilot i went to the net and saw all were actors....and god they are awful.   Off my list for sure.

As for Bear's show i've seen both episodes and actually like how HE is the only voter and he votes on merit only so it actually takes the cattyness and alliances on shows such as Survivor (which i dig too) where sometimes the best get ousted.  Here the worst always get ousted and that is a breath of fresh air.    watchable summer fare.

this show is a train wreck of horrid acting and dialogue.  After the death during the pilot i went to the net and saw all were actors....and god they are awful.   Off my list for sure.

As for Bear's show i've seen both episodes and actually like how HE is the only voter and he votes on merit only so it actually takes the cattyness and alliances on shows such as Survivor (which i dig too) where sometimes the best get ousted.  Here the worst always get ousted and that is a breath of fresh air.    watchable summer fare.

Lol.  I would agree that the show is pretty horrid in terms of acting and dialogue.  Lucky for them, there is nothing else on on Mondays @ 10pm.

I also totally agree with you about liking that Bear is the only one voting off contestants in the "Get Out Alive" show.  I suspect that the missions are so physically and mentally demanding, you can't entrust voting off decisions to the contestants.  Someone would probably get killed in Bear wasn't picking off the weak links each week.

This show is mindless, pointless, and a complete waste of time. In short, I love it.

Sort of like if Lost and Survivor had a baby, and that baby hooked up with Sharknado, this would be the resulting love child

The first episode I watched I thought was an actual reality show... I knew something was up when that guy died. I wish they'd done a better job of keeping this a secret from the public... If they could have kept us believing that this was an actual reality show, it would have been epic

Anyways, I've been watching and will continue to watch. Mindless fun. I like the Australian **** and the Montenegro jerk.

• 1 month later...

I hate the fact that i called "Tunguska event" during the first episode, and then the show turns out to be such a flop no one cares.  :(

Well duh. I thought they would tie it into something else that Siberia is famous for ... like when they hosted the Miss Tropicana pageant?

Well duh. I thought they would tie it into something else that Siberia is famous for ... like when they hosted the Miss Tropicana pageant?

I knew I was going to take **** on that--I should have added that at the same time I also said there'd be secret Russian installations with crazy science experiments on mutation genetics and/or reviving sabre-tooths and ESP and aliens etc. and lost tribes of wild people living in Siberia (really). still nothing, right?  knew i should have just remained silent and not posted in the thread again. stupid show anyway.

Archived