Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good News - John Keim Joins WP As Redskins Analyst

Dan T.

Good news for Redskins coverage... the Washington Post has hired reporter John Keim to its Washington Redskins beat.  Keim's been covering the Redskins for many years, most recently with the Washington Examiner, which stopped publishing last month. His coverage has always been insightful, accurate, and interesting.  

He'll be a welcome addition to the WP, IMO.  Here's a clip from his first piece for the Post:

For those who had not heard, The Post hired me to help supplement their Redskins coverage, starting today. I’ll partner with Mike Jones and Mark Maske — respected competitors in the past and now teammates. My presence will help Mike and Mark focus on their areas of strength while I handle the analysis, something I’ve enjoyed doing for many years at other stops.

And for those who don’t know me (and even for some who do), here’s a brief intro: I started writing about the Redskins in 1994 (and have written, or co-written, three different Redskins books and served as the correspondent for Sporting News and Pro Football Weekly, among others). I figured I’d cover a Super Bowl run, or two, and then get out.

So here I still am.

During my tenure I’ve covered more starts by John Beck (three) than playoff wins (two). Let that sink in for a second. I’ve seen a quarterback (Gus Frerotte) head-butt a wall, a defensive tackle lost for the season because he, uh, tripped on the stairs (Dana Stubblefield) and another who couldn’t pass a conditioning test (Albert Haynesworth). I’ve seen the start of one Hall of Fame career (Champ Bailey), the possible derailing of another (Donovan McNabb), and the end of another (Darrell Green). Maybe we’re witnessing the start of another with Robert Griffin III? Regardless, I have a front-row seat to watch a player who has energized a fan base as much as any I’ve ever seen. I’ve also witnessed the Deion Sanders show (entertaining) and several coaching eras that will never be applauded but also never forgotten (Steve Spurrier, Jim Zorn).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/07/01/john-keim-joins-the-posts-redskins-coverage-team/

It's just great to see hard work be rewarded.  Keim is one of the best.  Hopefully he can rub off on some of his new peers over there :)

Selfishly looking forward to what he does with more time on his hands to watch tape, etc.

The more Keim and less Wise, Steinberg and Reid at the Post....the better.

This.

I actually used to like Wise as a columnist writer until he started beating his war drum about changing the teams name & trolling fans on twitter. I wonder how he feels about whiteskin Johnny Depp playing Tonto? :)

Steinberg is a Bills fan that wound up at the WP who started off doing blog recaps. He's ok in small doses though he now tends to passive aggressively stir the pot/troll as well with some of his columns.

Reid? He's just horrible as he often has a negative agenda slant ie Shanny's a racist because he benched McNabb.

Maske is a guy I'm glad they took off the NFL beat & put back on the Redskins beat. He's by far the BEST Skins beat reporter the WP has had in the last decade.

Mike Jones is newer even though he's been around covering the team prior to joining the WP. And he's now paired with the right kind of guy in Maske as opposed to the Nunyo/JLC/Reid pairings of the past.

Now, if the Post could manage to add Tandler & maybe Elfin to the trio of Maske/Keim/Jones they'd be my powerhouse fantasy beat reporter team. :D

TK, I agree with that assessment 100%. I used to love reading Maske. I didn't realize he was back on the Skins beat, that's great news. I remember a simpler time (in the 1980s) when it almost seemed like the local networks and papers rooted for the home team.

Maske was actually back last year. ;)

Glad Kiem found a home.  As someone in the biz I can tell you it is hard out there.  He's very good at what he does and doesn't deserve to see the circling wolves.  Way too many shrinking or vanishing newsrooms.

Our Redskins coverage should improve.

The sheer amount of horrendous media members in this area, both in print, and on the radio, is just ridiculous.  Hell, there is basically an entire radio station who's entire purpose is to be anti-Skins.  

Question: Does the post still have those useless, rambling rants from Lavar, which they call "columns?"  Or was that a short lived experiment.

For my money, any member of the media that doesn't even know the record of the team is not worth listening to. I'm not sure how he still has a job.

I'm thrilled that Kiem/Maske are the helm of the 'Skins beat for the post.  Hopefully Jones can learn from them.

I'm not sure how Wise is good for business at the Post.  I'd love to see them can his sorry ass.  There would be dancing in the streets by a lot of people. 

And I'm personally going to throw a party when Lavar is canned.  It will happen. Question is, just when.

Love the new addition of Keim. I never really understood why the Wash Times or CSN Wash never really tried to amp up their coverage and market share of Skins coverage. The ONLY reason I visit the WaPo is because of the abundant / consistent coverage.

I cant hate on LaVar - he's a former playing doing his thing to earn a paycheck in a new environment. Yah, he's a lil' off from time to time but so is BMitch / Doc / etc.

can't say I'm excited for this, can't say I'm not... this might sound weird but I really have no opinion on any of the beat guys for the skins. but if you all are happy I'm happy.   I think they all do a good enough job for me. I can say though I was not a big fan of Frank Hanrahan. 

now, TK mentioned wise, and he is one guy who i use to enjoy reading, until he got on this crazy warpath ( ;) ) about our name ... way too over top. 

p.s. - really like Tandler, is he a beat guy or more of blogger. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Keim's stay at the (Com)Post didn't last long.

According to an article Haphazard put up in Breaking News section here:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/368594-wp-john-keim-is-leaving-the-post-for-espn/

Keim is going to be leaving the (Com)Post and becoming the Redskin Insider for ESPN.

Finally, somebody on ESPN I can watch outside of Clayton and Schefter. :)

The Post not being able to ante up and match ESPN's offer explains so much about the crappy coverage over there. EPSN is hiring Keim to cover the Redskins and the Redskins only -- the money can't be that great. The Post must either pay squat, or have someone in charge who is afraid to rock the boat and fire lesser reporters.

John Keim is the best Redskins beat guy by a mile. The Post could have locked him down and paired him with Maske -- it would have been great. To make the numbers work, I'm sure they could have simply fired Mike Jones or Tracee Hamilton or UnWise Mike or Jason Reid. Would anyone have given a damn?

Archived