Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7; Film Sessions; “Gimmicky” Robert Griffin III Runs The Same Offense as Rex Grossman and Matt Schaub

KCClybun

If the only way you get your football news is through ESPN and/or NFL Network, then chances are when you see the words “Robert Griffin III runs the same offense as Rex Grossman”, either your eyes bulge out of your head, or you laugh yourself into a coma. Rex Grossman is about as athletic after his ACL injury as a slug stuck in tar.

But what people get caught up in, naturally, is Robert Griffin III’s athletic ability and the read-option, which didn’t constitute as much of offense as people think. Ninety percent of our offense are the same plays we ran with Rex Grossman, John Beck and Donovan McNabb, only more efficiently. A highly effective run game and play-action passing have always been the basis of Mike Shanahan’s offense; RGIII’s athletic skillset only heightens and strengthens an offensive mindset that Shanahan has held since he was coaching Steve Young in San Francisco.

One of the plays that has become a bread and butter play since Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan is what I’ve called the “TE Leak” play. It is a great way to take advantage of team over-pursuing on the run.

http://httr24-7.com/film-room/film-sessions-gimmicky-robert-griffin-iii-runs-the-same-offense-as-rex-grossman-and-matt-schaub/'>Click here to read more.

Good write up, as always.

This is one example of many though.  It's a great way to illustrate how the offense IS the same and it IS a pro offense... the only difference is where the play action takes place OR the type of play action and maybe a little timing here or there.  Alignments and formations are different than offenses and schemes. 

Some people need blocks and pictures to see that though... which you've readily supplied in abbundance and I thank you. :)

Excellent piece, focusing on basic principles, distilling it down to core elements and expressing it well, you have been a summer school on the Skins, where do I send the check?

I have to believe that AlMo coming off a 1600yd+ season will draw even more attention and make plays such as this more viable. Ds will still have to respect Robert off the boot, so Freddy and/or Reed will get their chances, just gotta make 'em count. Really shows the importance noted in earlier conversations about the downfield blocking of the WRs.

I wasn't surprised that Grossman signed back with us last year but I'm surprised he resigned this year. Maybe he is comfortable with the team and area and gets a steady paycheck. But I would have figured he'd want the chance to play somewhere or at least by the primary backup and not third string.

I wasn't surprised that Grossman signed back with us last year but I'm surprised he resigned this year. Maybe he is comfortable with the team and area and gets a steady paycheck. But I would have figured he'd want the chance to play somewhere or at least by the primary backup and not third string.

I bet you are right. He must really enjoy being with the Skins. He has a playbook he knows pretty well, the coaches and locker room respect him and maybe he thinks he can get a job here afterwards as a position coach or something.

NLC, amazing connections you make of different QBs, packages, and teams.  Great write up.

I wonder why Griff pulled that pass down and ran it instead?  Did you see anything that would make him do it?

Kudos!

HTTR

I took a look at that play, and the only thing that came to my mind was that he saw the safety over top and thought that he might be able to make it over and pick it off. If you look at the picture, the safety is about 10 years deeper than Paulsen on the play.

NLC, amazing connections you make of different QBs, packages, and teams.  Great write up.

I wonder why Griff pulled that pass down and ran it instead?  Did you see anything that would make him do it?

Kudos!

HTTR

Only thing I could see on the All-22 watching it a few times is that he felt like the linebacker was going to catch up to Logan and recover. Still felt like he could've put that ball on the outside shoulder and lead him more towards the sideline if that was the case. But that's part of the reason he's such a high percentage thrower and why as he progresses as a progresison reader he'll be so deadly. He's not going to attempt a throw he doesn't feel he can make.

Still would've like to see him hit that back foot and then leave it up to Logan to make the play after that. 

You should show John Elway running this play to Shannon Sharpe

If I had All-22 access to that kind of thing, trust me, I would, lol.

First time I remember really seeing that play run is with Kyle, though. Then half the league copied it. That happens a lot with Kyle.

Archived