Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NJ: Left-lane highway hogs could see fines double for failure to move over

China

Left-lane highway hogs could see fines double for failure to move over

Left-lane hogs, beware.

You could be charged double for failing to keep right under a bill passed Monday by the Assembly.

Motorists who clog the left or center lanes instead of using them to pass another vehicle would see fines increase from between $50 and $200 now to between $100 and $300. The bill calls for $50 from each violation going toward signs reminding motorists who enter New Jersey about the
state’s stay-right law.

“On behalf of road rage, I move the bill,” said Assemblyman Gilbert “Whip” Wilson (D-Camden), a co-sponsor of the measure, which passed 69-7.

Aside from drinking and driving, failure to keep right is perhaps the most hazardous action on roadways, said Assemblyman Declan O’Scanlon (R-Monmouth), also a co-sponsor.

“One driver cruising along in the left lane can cause dozens of other drivers to become frustrated, leading to more incidents of aggressive driving and additional, unnecessary lane changes — which, in turn, lead to more accidents,” he said.

“You could drive up and down the Parkway or 80 or 78, and in any 15-minute period you can see people by the hundreds not practicing lane discipline,” O’Scanlon added.

State Sen. Donald Norcross (D-Camden), who encounters the irritating left-lane campers during his frequent trips on the Atlantic City Expressway, originated the bill in the Senate.

Norcross said in an interview last year that State Police told him drivers usually aren’t cited for failure to keep right unless they hang out in the lane for 3 miles.

“Some of them won’t get out of the left-hand lane until the lights of the state trooper cars are flashing — they are completely oblivious,” he said.

Although most states call for slower traffic to stay to the right, New Jersey is stricter about the practice.

Click on the link for the full article

Failure to keep right is the most hazardous action on roadways next to drinking & driving?  Sounds like this assembleman is a dick head speeder who thinks the left lane is for "fast" people. 

I hate drivers like that, had one come up behind me yesterday, I went to pass a car in the center lane, got into the left going 10kmh (6mph-15kmh over would get me a ticket) OVER the speed limit, the douche behind me rolls up around 40kmh (25mph) over my speed, barely manages not to hit me because he was texting, then has the nerve to cut me off and scream at me.

Left lane is for passing, not drving fast, and in fact it's those idiot drivers who want to drive fast in the left lane that cause all the problems, if someone is not driving as fast as they are in that lane, the slower driver is deemed an idiot, while the faster driver changes lanes like a mad man "trying to get to the front" (of what? traffic?) without using their signal. 

If people would just be more curtious on the road instead of treating every other car like the enemy, traffic would not be nearly as bad.

I agree with Artmonk above. Three or four lane highway, traffic in 2 right lanes going speed limit, I'm in the middle lane next to the left lane. I want to pass a car on the left and then get back over. I'm typically doing 10 miles over to pass them, but a car comes out of nowhere doing 15 plus mph over and gets pissed because I don't get over fast enough.

Failure to keep right is the most hazardous action on roadways next to drinking & driving? Sounds like this assembleman is a dick head speeder who thinks the left lane is for "fast" people.

I hate drivers like that, had one come up behind me yesterday, I went to pass a car in the center lane, got into the left going 10kmh (6mph-15kmh over would get me a ticket) OVER the speed limit, the douche behind me rolls up around 40kmh (25mph) over my speed, barely manages not to hit me because he was texting, then has the nerve to cut me off and scream at me.

Left lane is for passing, not drving fast, and in fact it's those idiot drivers who want to drive fast in the left lane that cause all the problems, if someone is not driving as fast as they are in that lane, the slower driver is deemed an idiot, while the faster driver changes lanes like a mad man "trying to get to the front" (of what? traffic?) without using their signal.

If people would just be more curtious on the road instead of treating every other car like the enemy, traffic would not be nearly as bad.

It sounds like you are the one who cut the guy off, if he was going as fast as you said he was, and you somehow managed to notice he was texting behind you, surely you should have gathered that he was moving much faster than you before moving over and you should have just waited for him to pass you before making the pass yourself. I don't see how the "fast drivers" are the ones causing the problem, in Virginia and many states that I've been through, the signs say Slow Traffic Keep Right, which implies that faster traffic will by nature keep left. Not being in the left lane unless you are activley passing should be common sense. i don't care if you are doing 5mph or 20 mph over, you should move over for faster traffic coming up behind you. It should be common courtesy. The real problem is people not getting out of the left lane when they are supposed to, speed really doesnt matter.

In Germany if you try and PASS on the right (i.e from the center lane) you will get a ticket

Traffic flow works best if the left lane is fast, as fast as the flow of traffic wants it to be and gets progressively slower as you go to the right

You should NOT be passing from the far right lane, and you should not be PASSED in the far left lane. If someone comes up from behind you in the left lane going significantly faster then you are, GTFO of the left lane. It is that simple. If they are speeding a cop will pull them over, however slowing down the left lane is extremely dangerous

Bravo NJ 

There are three kinds of drivers in this world.

Bad drivers.  Crazy driver.  And me.

Just a light joke for hump day.

And absolutely SkinsHokieFan.  Germany has it right.  Your comment is spot on.  It really is a SAFETY issue.

Failure to keep right is the most hazardous action on roadways next to drinking & driving? Sounds like this assembleman is a dick head speeder who thinks the left lane is for "fast" people.

It sounds like you are the one who cut the guy off, if he was going as fast as you said he was, and you somehow managed to notice he was texting behind you, surely you should have gathered that he was moving much faster than you before moving over and you should have just waited for him to pass you before making the pass yourself. I don't see how the "fast drivers" are the ones causing the problem, in Virginia and many states that I've been through, the signs say Slow Traffic Keep Right, which implies that faster traffic will by nature keep left. Not being in the left lane unless you are activley passing should be common sense. i don't care if you are doing 5mph or 20 mph over, you should move over for faster traffic coming up behind you. It should be common courtesy. The real problem is people not getting out of the left lane when they are supposed to, speed really doesnt matter.

That's not necessarily true about him waiting for the other car to pass before he can.  I've seen the same thing many times (speed limit 55-60 with cars going 20+ over the speed limit (I usually keep at 10 over).  when I go to pass someone, a car out of nowhere flies up behind you. 

Now, there are cars that attempt to pass a car but are basically keeping pace with them - in that case, I can see what you are talking about.  However, the idiotic drivers who speed/weave in and out of traffic are the ones who can cause the most harm.    They will speed around you (when you are already behind somebody) and swirve right between you and the car infront of you to the point that you have to slam on the brakes making it very dangerous.

I think they just need to enforce UNDER the speed limit more and start handing out more tickets - that will atleast get people up to the speed limit.

AMHOF, you are the guy who stays in the left lane, right above the speed limit out of a sense righteousness, aren't you?

I think you two missed the part where he said he was using the left lane to make a pass. 

For me its always been Right lane = enter/exit/merge, Middle lane = cruising, Left lane = passing.  If I'm in the middle lane and not passing people in the right I shouldn't get a ticket; people should just pass me on the left.

Again, traffic needs to flow as follows

Left lane: As fast as traffic wants it to go

Middle lanes (if there are): Cruising with the left middle lane a little bit faster then the right middle lane

Right lane: Slower drivers, merging onto the highway, exiting off the highway

It works to a T in Germany where there is no speed limit and far fewer accidents 

It's the rare trip to/through Maryland when I don't run into AT LEAST 2 or 3 people cruising in the left lane.

I have no problem at all with people driving slower than I'd like in the left lane, so long as they're active passing someone and will move back to the right once they've completed the pass.  I hold myself to the same standard.  But cruising in the left lane, not overtaking anyone, blocking people behind them in non-gridlock conditions?  Infuriating.

Worst by far is the self enabled cop-wannabe jackass who believes s/he can lock the cruise control in at 66 mph and cruise forever in the left lane, as if the fact that s/he's already exceeding the speed limit by the slimmest imaginable margin somehow obviates the illegality of that behavior and the annoyance of the growing train of drivers in the mirror.  Selfish arse orifices.

SHF has this nailed to a tee. Bottom line, get your ass over if someone coming behind you is faster. It's not your job to play traffic cop. If they are speeding, then let the cops deal with them. People driving slow in the left lane are putting others in more danger than the guy speeding.

Also, I would like to take this time to educate others about another problem I experienced last night. I was on a ramp entering the highway. As I'm getting close to merging on the highway, I notice that it's all clear. All clear except for the moron in the far right lane that is preventing me from entering the highway!!! Seriously why are people such idiots? If you see a car entering the highway and there are no cars in the other lane, then GTFO over a lane!

Middle lanes (if there are): Cruising with the left middle lane a little bit faster then the right middle lane

It works to a T in Germany where there is no speed limit and far fewer accidents 

People honestly don't know how to merge.  Baffles me every day here in Charlotte.  They want to merge "right away" and stop on the acceleration lane looking for an opening, instead of using the acceleration lane to pick up speed and slowly merge over.

People honestly don't know how to merge.  Baffles me every day here in Charlotte.  They want to merge "right away" and stop on the acceleration lane looking for an opening, instead of using the acceleration lane to pick up speed and slowly merge over.

Merging is seriously terrible in this area.

On a highway on ramp, if you are exiting you are too slow down and those getting on the highway should be speeding up. If people did this you wouldn't have those absurd backups 

Going back to my neighborhood, the exit is a two lane road that goes down to 1.  Right lane has to merge into left, but if they go- one, then one, then one- traffic will flow.  Inevetibaly, some jackass always "bumper hugs" the car in front of them and won't let someone in. Defiantly won't let anyone in.  I guess that one space makes them the king of the road or something. 

While we're talking about other traffic offenses: can't stand when idiots come to a stoplight and are turning right, yet wait for the light to turn green when there is no traffic coming. Unless it says you can't turn on red, then DON'T SIT THERE!

Happens in the morning coming out of my neighborhood.

Archived