Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Suns playing with fire going to a game 7 with Luka being the best player in this series. Having said that, home teams have won pretty comfortably all series. 

What a ridiculous T for taunting that was just called. Laughable. 

Just now, purbeast said:

LOL taunting.

League is soft as a mother ****er.

The elbow is somehow clean (which is using the off arm to fend off a defender), but the three words whispered after the dunk is taunting?  What?!  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

LOL taunting.

League is soft as a mother ****er.

I don't get how they can review for the elbow than decide to call a T for that. So weak. 

Reviewing in the NBA in general is ****ing stupid as ****.  I hate it.

Was listening to 980 earlier today and I loved a suggestion the host had.   He was talking about how he hates how nobody in the NBA thinks they ever commit a foul and always are spinning their finger in the air after every foul when it's clear as day that it was a foul.

His idea was to let the teams have unlimited challenges, however if a challenge is not won, the team loses a point.

I know it will never happened, but it was an interesting idea.  I do REALLY like how in the NHL if you challenge something and lose, you get a penalty.  His suggestion reminded me of it.

• Like 1

Brunson just got tackled by a ghost....

Somebody in the league office should buzz down and have the refs issue a technical. Another flop or embellishment and he's gone. 

Makes the game unwatchable. I wonder if it's the same in basketball as it is in soccer. Where the women play the game with more integrity.

Is Devin Booker Hispanic?  I’ve never noticed it before because his name doesn’t suggest it, but that dude looks really Latino.  

Dumb challenge that’s obviously a foul.  Luka pushes with the left hand, then jumps into him.  

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Is Devin Booker Hispanic?  I’ve never noticed it before because his name doesn’t suggest it, but that dude looks really Latino.  

That's so racist. 

Kidding. Yes. His mom. 

Just now, Hersh said:

That's so racist. 

Kidding. Yes. His mom. 

yeah I looked it up, he’s a quarter Mexican.  That quarter is showing through for sure.  Makes me like him more now.  ¡Vamos Booker!

I can’t believe that challenge was successful.  That’s some BS.

Posted (edited)

that challenge was successful cause they are in Dallas. Luke definitely jumped into him and did not go straight up. And it would've been 5 on Luka. 

Edited by Hersh

5 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Lowry has been ass. 

He is like 7 of 27 in the games he played. I think he only played like 4 games. 

I just checked he played 5. Is shooting below 30% from the field. 

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

If that happens, I could write a defense of Ernie Grunfeld's eye for talent that could skew the record on his tenure here for all time.

"Historic longevity over 16 years as Wizards GM"

"Brought in 5 time All Star John Wall and top five scorers Gilbert Arenas and Bradley Beal"

"Brought in championship role players Mike Miller, Jared Dudley, Otto Porter, Nick Young, JaVale McGee, Trevor Ariza, and Bobby Portis, who won ten rings combined."

"Drafted the Kareem Abdul Jabbar of Europe Jan Vesely"

"Arguably built a locker room with the most firepower in NBA history"

If I ever run for office, I want you to write my campaign commercials. 

6 hours ago, purbeast said:

Reviewing in the NBA in general is ****ing stupid as ****.  I hate it.

Was listening to 980 earlier today and I loved a suggestion the host had.   He was talking about how he hates how nobody in the NBA thinks they ever commit a foul and always are spinning their finger in the air after every foul when it's clear as day that it was a foul.

His idea was to let the teams have unlimited challenges, however if a challenge is not won, the team loses a point.

I know it will never happened, but it was an interesting idea.  I do REALLY like how in the NHL if you challenge something and lose, you get a penalty.  His suggestion reminded me of it.

i've said all along plays don't need to be reviewed in the last 2 minutes, what's the point? They also make it a dog and pony show too. AFTER REVIEW WE DETERMINED AN OFFENSIVE FOUL IS A DEFENSIVE FOUL. I get the theory of calling the game right but I preferred the "old day" when decisions like that would be determined by judgement and if the ref had flawed judgement so be it

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

i've said all along plays don't need to be reviewed in the last 2 minutes, what's the point? They also make it a dog and pony show too. AFTER REVIEW WE DETERMINED AN OFFENSIVE FOUL IS A DEFENSIVE FOUL. I get the theory of calling the game right but I preferred the "old day" when decisions like that would be determined by judgement and if the ref had flawed judgement so be it

Yeah the problem is when you slow it down from all these different angles, it looks different than it does at normal speed.

Oh and you also have them just completely getting it wrong like they did with Luka's 5th foul.  That was clearly a foul and maybe in super slow motion it doesn't look like he is jumping into Booker.  He clearly did.

And yeah, instead of them reviewing whether Ayton should be assessed something like a flagrant for an elbow, they instead give him a technical for taunting because he looked at someone for 2 seconds after an and-1.'

Yeah, let's referee the game in hindsight.  That is fun...

10 hours ago, Destino said:

Anyone still think Ayton was the right choice for the suns.  They could have had Luka…

I can't believe the Mavs sitting at 5 in that draft got him.  All they gave up was a 2019 protected first.  Ended up being Cam Reddish.

At least Phoenix still got a good player despite passing on him, and are a contending team.  It's not getting Hakeem Olajuwon, but it wasn't nothing.  Sacramento passed on him for Marvin Bagley.

What gets me is that Luka wasn't a difficult to see coming physical transformation away from who he is today like Giannis.  The basketball draft nerds who follow the Euro leagues were shouting from the hilltops in 2018 that Luka was the best European prospect ever and that he looked like the next Larry Bird.  And three different NBA front offices all said "Nah, we're good."  We knew on draft day that they had ****ed up really bad.

But to be charitable, Ayton looked special at the time too.  Had a little bit of David Robinson vibe to him in that you almost never see 7 footers with that kind of physique and speed, especially not at 18 years old.  You can do worse things than take a swing on the 7 footer with elite athleticism, as that has been one of the best paths to a championship you can take.  But a lot of those seven footers only end up winning rings for their second teams.

Bagley over Luka wasn't good at the time and seems bat**** crazy in hindsight, and it's a testament to the overwhelming inertia that H.S. recruiting and Duke hype has.  He's got to be one of the worst busts of the era, the new Sam Bowie.

Part of it is that the Suns don't really feed Ayton. He's averaging 17 on 12 shots. Up that to 16-18 shots and he's well into the 20s. Luka averages 20-22 shot per game. 

No, I'm not saying Ayton is anywhere near Luka's level, but Ayton is still only 23 and should be good for a long time. 

Now the 76ers....

They passed on Taytum and moved on from Jimmy Butler. They really should've moved Simmons last off-season. Unless they flip Harden for a package, that is gonna be a giant negative for them, again. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I can't believe the Mavs sitting at 5 in that draft got him.  All they gave up was a 2019 protected first.  Ended up being Cam Reddish.

At least Phoenix still got a good player despite passing on him, and are a contending team.  It's not getting Hakeem Olajuwon, but it wasn't nothing.  Sacramento passed on him for Marvin Bagley.

What gets me is that Luka wasn't a difficult to see coming physical transformation away from who he is today like Giannis.  The basketball draft nerds who follow the Euro leagues were shouting from the hilltops in 2018 that Luka was the best European prospect ever and that he looked like the next Larry Bird.  And three different NBA front offices all said "Nah, we're good."  We knew on draft day that they had ****ed up really bad.

But to be charitable, Ayton looked special at the time too.  Had a little bit of David Robinson vibe to him in that you almost never see 7 footers with that kind of physique and speed, especially not at 18 years old.  You can do worse things than take a swing on the 7 footer with elite athleticism, as that has been one of the best paths to a championship you can take.  But a lot of those seven footers only end up winning rings for their second teams.

Bagley over Luka wasn't good at the time and seems bat**** crazy in hindsight, and it's a testament to the overwhelming inertia that H.S. recruiting and Duke hype has.  He's got to be one of the worst busts of the era, the new Sam Bowie.

Technically it cost the Mavs Trae Young and that protected pick the Hawks selected Reddish with.

Young is no slouch. And if the Hawks and the other 25 teams had paired him up with someone like Jordan Poole who was taken 18 picks later than Reddish...they'd have had a nice front court. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

47 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Part of it is that the Suns don't really feed Ayton. He's averaging 17 on 12 shots. Up that to 16-18 shots and he's well into the 20s. Luka averages 20-22 shot per game. 

No, I'm not saying Ayton is anywhere near Luka's level, but Ayton is still only 23 and should be good for a long time. 

He's a key role player in a championship caliber machine, which is fine.  As long as you have all of the parts of the machine working, then you'd prefer that roster to what Dallas has.  I also think Defense and rebounding tend to be undervalued in the effect they have on producing wins, and that getting Ayton was just as big a key to the transformation of the Suns as getting CP3.

But there is also a problem with building a very finely tuned machine with elite role players when another key part of the machine turns 37 and suddenly looks his age.  Those 40,000 career minutes seem to have caught up with Paul and now their machine might be broken.

This analogy is getting away from me, but I guess Luka is the engine of his team's machine, and his team is better able to cope with parts breaking around him than Phoenix is.  Phoenix is like a racecar whereas Dallas is one of those Toyotas that Al Quaeda drove around the desert.  You want the transcendent scoring wing over anyone else for the resiliency he gives your team.

For history to look more kindly on the decision to pick Ayton over Luka, Ayton is going to have to prove that he can evolve into whatever his team needs him to be to keep winning as the roster goes through changes in era around him.  Who knows, he might be good enough to do that?

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He's a key role player in a championship caliber machine, which is fine.  As long as you have all of the parts of the machine working, then you'd prefer that roster to what Dallas has.  I also think Defense and rebounding tend to be undervalued in the effect they have on producing wins, and that getting Ayton was just as big a key to the transformation of the Suns as getting CP3.

But there is also a problem with building a very finely tuned machine with elite role players when another key part of the machine turns 37 and suddenly looks his age.  Those 40,000 career minutes seem to have caught up with Paul and now their machine might be broken.

This analogy is getting away from me, but I guess Luka is the engine of his team's machine, and his team is better able to cope with parts breaking around him than Phoenix is.  Phoenix is like a racecar whereas Dallas is one of those Toyotas that Al Quaeda drove around the desert.  You want the transcendent scoring wing over anyone else for the resiliency he gives your team.

For history to look more kindly on the decision to pick Ayton over Luka, Ayton is going to have to prove that he can evolve into whatever his team needs him to be to keep winning as the roster goes through changes in era around him.  Who knows, he might be good enough to do that?

I'm surprised there isn't a bit more screen and role action with Ayton and more two man games with him and Booker. Maybe that's the future, but he has a big advantage this series and it feels like they aren't using it. 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

Now the 76ers....

They passed on Taytum and moved on from Jimmy Butler. They really should've moved Simmons last off-season. Unless they flip Harden for a package, that is gonna be a giant negative for them, again. 

Trust the process.  All that losing about a decade ago is really paying dividends.