Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

Would that kill his HOF chances?

No, **** happens, and he's one of only 6 Black head coaches to win NBA title.  It's not like baseball hof were it's like pulling teeth to get in.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

Doc has lived off of one championship he won 14 years ago with 3 hall of famers. By far the most overrated coach in the NBA. This series is coming back to Philly. 

He did go to 2 finals with that group and lost one in 7 games against a refuse to lose Black Mamba (game 7 was in LA, they lost by single digits).

I feel really bad for the **** hand he kept getting with the Clippers with the injuries it seemed liked every year when he was out there and lob city.

I'm not against the overrated label...jus, he's not a bad coach and don't agree with keeping out the HOF.

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You trippin, I'd take him now, fire up the trade machine.

Would anyone be shocked if Sixers lost this series?  It's one game at a time, next one is in Toronto, Embiid banged up, Harden lookin more like Nets Harden the Houston Harden.

Game 7 could be a who wants it more toss-up.

Dur"Cant" is and has always been a loser unless he is on a stacked team buying titles like GSW.

14 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Dur"Cant" is and has always been a loser unless he is on a stacked team buying titles like GSW.

While averaging nearly 30 a game for his career. 😒

He was still with OKC when he won his MVP award, stop this, I know his legacy took a hit in the last 24 hours, but you are being ridiculous right now.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

While averaging nearly 30 a game for his career. 😒

He was still with OKC when he won his MVP award, stop this, I know his legacy took a hit in the last 24 hours, but you are being ridiculous right now.

IX pumps First Take into his brain constantly. He doesn’t even know what he’s become 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, PeterMP said:

I believe it is 3.  One years ago with Orlando, one with the Clips, and last year with the Sixers.

Can you really put a guy in the HOF that has 4 of the worse playoff collapses in history?

11 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

Doc has lived off of one championship he won 14 years ago with 3 hall of famers. By far the most overrated coach in the NBA. This series is coming back to Philly. 

most overrated coach ever. Probably will get the HOF but definitely shouldn’t. 

• Thumb down 1

managing this franchise… lol. Kyrie really does think he’s a superstar.  He was the distraction on the Nets this season and he’s talking like he’s a leader.  He refused the vaccine and he chased off James Harden.  Then he talks about outside distractions.  Incredible.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ben Simmons is a sad situation.  Mental health problems are real problema, and I think he has real mental health problems.

I never bought the idea that he was going to play for the Nets.  If was sent somewhere like Sacramento, I think he could have played.  At this point, there is so much pressure and national attention on him and it will carry over to next season, I wonder if he's ever going to play again.

41 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Ben Simmons is a sad situation.  Mental health problems are real problema, and I think he has real mental health problems.

I never bought the idea that he was going to play for the Nets.  If was sent somewhere like Sacramento, I think he could have played.  At this point, there is so much pressure and national attention on him and it will carry over to next season, I wonder if he's ever going to play again.

I want to be careful what I say here, in context to what I've brought up with my own struggles. 

I have a lot of respect for players like DeRozan and Kevin Love being open about their mental health struggles in part to encourage people to get the help they need, saying yea, it can happen to us NBA players, too. 

I feel bad for players like Delonte West, who was diagnosed Bipolar, and next thing we know Cuban is helping get him off the street.

I remember what Rui went through, never got into specifics about what happened or diagnosed with, but eventually came back as a contributor to the team and looks to be building for next year.

We haven't seen anything like that with Ben. 

No diagnosis, no clarity on treatment he's getting or even if it does involve meds (which is a constant struggle of getting the right ones and still having to change them occasionally).  We also have no clear indication that he really wants to play basketball again.

I want him to get the help he needs, and do hope he plays again, but I'm sorry, my gut is saying he's dragging this out as long as he can and is getting paid a lot of money until he "gets right mentally".  If you are actually diagnosed, you never "get right mentally", you are merely stable enough that your mental health issues aren't stopping you from living your life or doing your job.

This is going to come up in the CBA.  If he can't play basketball, it's one thing to be injured, but this seems like a grey era that is possibly being exploited.  I'm jus not buying it, it smells like total BS.

If his mental health issues are truly debilitating his ability to play, that needs to be clarified by somebody.  He doesn't have to say what meds he's on, but him being this tight-lipped on his treatment, what specifically he's going through, while we have examples of players playing through their's is a bad bad look.

What I don't want to see is a backlash against "supposed mental health issues" that negatively impacts players that actually do, are diagnosed, getting treatment, and playing.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

My issues with Ben and his mental health issues is that it didn’t come up until he wasn’t getting paid. Now we hear that Ben and his agent Rich Paul met with the Nets before game 4, after the Nets had already strongly implied that Ben was going to play. He has a lawsuit against Philly that probably involves his mental health claim. If he would have played, that most likely helps Philly’s case. I’m skeptical. 

• Thanks 1

I need mental health to be defined and diagnosed by a professional, because today everything is “mental health”.  If we said mental illness that would be different, but mental health is a catch all phrase.  Everything that upsets you is bad for your mental health if it persists.  This includes but is not limited to stress, fear, disliking your coworkers/boss, not getting enough sleep, feeling over worked, and being terrified of playing basketball again after choking in the playoffs.  Even Twitter can truly be bad for your mental health.  These are all valid things, I’m not saying they aren’t, but they’re reasons to change your life.  They’re not reasons to continue to collect on a contract that you’re not fulfilling.  

Retirement is an option.  Larry Sanders couldn’t deal, so he left.  Royce White couldn’t deal, so he left.  If Ben Simmons can’t get through it, he can go too.  

I’ll admit, I have doubts surrounding the timing of his mental health outbreak.  I have doubts about how much he actually loves the game too.  I could be wrong.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Destino said:

I need mental health to be defined and diagnosed by a professional, because today everything is “mental health”.  

To be fair, we can, like you noted, all go through mental health issues. 

We all go through different levels of anxiety on a day to day basis, good and bad.  Depression is not uncommon in the context of traumatic events or basically an era of our lives of it.

When it gets to the point of not only being debilitating, but chronic, and in some cases cyclical (like bipolar), that's when a mental health expert is supposed to step in and say someone possibly has a mental illness that talking through it or gutting it out isn't going to work. It can in many cases be biochemical in nature, and that's what many of the medications are for to help compensate for. 

Anyone is free to correct me on any of this as I'm speaking a lot from my own experience, research and talking with others that have done the same.

I cannot understate how frustrated I am that I cannot find anywhere that he had a psychologist that referred him to a psychiatrist for medication, or that he has one that does both (or even a nurse practitioner), jus outside the NBA help.

PTSD is an odd ball that can be jus as serious as any other mental health illness, in that people aren't typically born with the chemical imbalance in the brain that's causes it.  And I'm not buying he has PTSD from playing in Philly, either (not that he's claimed that yet, that i know of).

Edited by Renegade7

I doubt Ben Simmons loves basketball.  I suspect there are a lot of players that don't love basketball and even some really good players.  I suspect for many players it is a good paying job, and they couldn't find another job that would pay them anything near as much so they suck it up and stick with it.  Lot's of people do lots of jobs that they don't love and don't even really like because practically they don't have any other option.  I don't see why many NBA players would really be any different.

Other people that have had mental health issues have gone away because their contracts have gone away.  Not because they gave up millions of dollars to go away.  I don't know the legalities of Ben Simmons contract, but I've got no problem with him seeking payment based on a contract if the contract legally requires that he get paid even if he isn't playing.  If you don't want to pay people that won't play, don't sign them to a contract that requires you to do so.  That's on ownership/management.  I'm not going to say he should get paid because I don't know the legalities of his contract.  But if his contract legally obliges a team to pay whether he plays or not, then they should pay him.  If not, then he shouldn't get paid.  But that's something for the relevant legal entities to decide.  Not me.  And I don't really care how long it takes.  I just want/hope they come to the right/fair solution.

I'm also not going to hold it against somebody if they don't want to discuss their health with the general public.  Kudos to the people that are willing to discuss their struggles and can act as a role model and inspiration for others, but if somebody doesn't want the details of their situation known that isn't something I'm going to criticize them for.

However, other than mental health issues, I can't see another logical reason why he just wouldn't play.  By any reasonable logical course, the easiest thing for Ben Simmons is to just play.  He doesn't even have to play well.  The fact that he doesn't seem to see that alone suggest to me that there are mental health issues.

And even more generally, the fact that he's refused to shoot for years suggested issues.  When your coach and teammates are all telling you they want you to shoot, it seems like the logical and convenient thing to do is to shoot.  Repeated continued refusal to do so, which only brought stress to those relationships and resulted in him being publicly called out (years ago by Brett Brown), suggest mental health issues.  To me, he's demonstrated some sort of mental issue beyond what is normal for an NBA player for years, even before last years playoffs where his FT% plummeted.  And then last year's playoff performance was  a pretty clear indication of somebody that was dealing issues with stress/anxiety beyond that of a normal NBA player.  (Not that he was under more/different stress/anxiety than other NBA players, but that the processes he has for dealing with it are not the same or even similar to most other NBA players.)  Simmons has been demonstrating unusual and odd behavior indicating something was awry compared to other NBA players for years.  Not just the since this offseason or even last year's playoffs.

If the Sixers knew all of this and still signed him to a contract that requires them to pay him even if he doesn't play (and the Nets then traded for him with that same contract), that's on them.  Though I'll leave it for the legal process to determine if the contract requires that he get paid.

Edited by PeterMP

Not to demean and downgrade the issue of mental health but it ain take 20 months to recover from injury 

Simmons holding out like zion holding out is a pardon my French "**** move". This is the new nba. If you can play get your ass out there and entertain us. None of this load management bull****.