Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

18 hours ago, Hersh said:

Did you really type that LeBron shuts down Larry Bird in any way?

I said he shuts him down better than Kareem does in that matchup. 

but if I answer your question, Lebron would give Larry fits all day 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If you build a full 15 man team, Boston wins that all time roster.  The Lakers would have an awesome 8 man rotation, but Boston has a depth of Hall of Famers that provided them excellent seasons that goes beyond 15.

1: Cousy, JoJo White, Frank Ramsey

2: Hondo, Bill Sharman, Ray Allen

3: Bird, Pierce, Sam Jones

4: McHale, KG, Heinsohn

5: Russell, Cowens, Parish

That's a HoFer in a prime or near prime season at every single spot.  And it's balanced between all of the positions and between offense and defense.

how many of those guys dribble like Stanley from The Office?

image.gif.27bbc5ce4447690038706a6c66f155b7.gif

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Come on be serious. This isn’t blasphemy. Larry is all time great but he’s a stiff unathletic dude by comparison. He’s never seen the size, speed, and athleticism of Lebron in his face. Bird admitted Michael Cooper could shut him down. Bron could slow Bird in that series 

there is no reason to pretend otherwise aside from “get off my lawn” old man stuff 

The great players in a given era would be great in any era.  Prime Bird goes inside or out, rebounds and racks up assists. That plays against anyone. But this is why I don't compare players from different eras. The advantages Lebron has now compared to Bird when it comes to all aspects of training are huge. If Lebron was transported to the 70s/80s he would still be great but he wouldn't be the same type of player he is now. 

The fundamental difference between eras is the things you can do with a ball without being called for a double dribble.  Larry Bird would struggle today simply because he didn't grow up doing Euro steps and taking step back jumpers (things that would have been called when he played).

(Pretty much all of the dribbled like Stanley from the office because that's what you were allowed to do.)

The flip of that is if you made Lebron play with Bird era rules, he'd be called for a travel of a double dribble every other time he went to the rim.

Bird dunked the ball in games.  I'm not sure if Magic ever dunked in a game.

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

The great players in a given era would be great in any era.  Prime Bird goes inside or out, rebounds and racks up assists. That plays against anyone. But this is why I don't compare players from different eras. The advantages Lebron has now compared to Bird when it comes to all aspects of training are huge. If Lebron was transported to the 70s/80s he would still be great but he wouldn't be the same type of player he is now. 

i didn’t say Bird wouldn’t be great. But let’s not act like LeBron wouldn’t be able to make things difficult for him on D. 

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

I've heard it said that Bird never dunked a ball in a game, is that really true? 

Not at all, he just didn't do it often.

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

Bird dunked the ball in games.  I'm not sure if Magic ever dunked in a game.

How old are you?  Magic dunked in games.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember ****ting their pants about Ray Allen breaking the three point record the way they were for Steph last night.  I guess it's more a celebration of his career because he's really well liked.  Ray Allen was, too, but this is different.  Even though I don't really care for him, I recognize that Curry's beloved in a way that not a lot of athletes can achieve.  He's loved the way LeBron wants to be loved.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't remember ****ting their pants about Ray Allen breaking the three point record the way they were for Steph last night.  I guess it's more a celebration of his career because he's really well liked.  Ray Allen was, too, but this is different.  Even though I don't really care for him, I recognize that Curry's beloved in a way that not a lot of athletes can achieve.  He's loved the way LeBron wants to be loved.  

The crowd went crazy and he shared a moment with Reggie when it happened. Reggie and Steve Kerr were on the broadcast team for that game. I think sometimes it depends on the athlete and what they want out of the moment but it happens a lot when a major record is broken. 

• Like 2

Carlisle, for his part, doubted Smith could be a productive NBA starter, team sources said. He had wanted the Mavs to draft guard Donovan Mitchell, and had completely soured on Smith midway through his rookie campaign.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32861454/luka-doncic-rick-carlisle-dissolution-their-relationship-comes-next-dallas-mavericks

These two lines are buried in a hit job article detailing how Luka hated Carlisle because he was mean to some of his teammates.  Maybe that’s true, I don’t care.  What I want to know is why the Mavs ignored their coach and drafted bum Dennis Smith Jr instead of DMitch.  

Do you guys realize how good the Mavs would be right now?