Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

What everyone just needs to accept is that basketball is almost a different sport now.

The '87 Lakers attempted 447 3 pointers (which was relatively high for the league).

The '17 Warriors attempted 2,563 3 pointers.

Teams from even ten years ago would have to re-think their entire approach to defense. I mean, I suppose Kareem could score 50 on Draymond. But I imagine Kareem just punching a referee the first time he has to defend someone on the three point line.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

What everyone just needs to accept is that basketball is almost a different sport now.

The '87 Lakers attempted 447 3 pointers (which was relatively high for the league).

The '17 Warriors attempted 2,563 3 pointers.

Teams from even ten years ago would have to re-think their entire approach to defense. I mean, I suppose Kareem could score 50 on Draymond. But I imagine Kareem just punching a referee the first time he has to defend someone on the three point line.

The reverse is true which makes it interesting. Who guards Magic? Who guards Worthy? These were not small teams we are talking about in the 80s and 90s. 

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Russell deserves to be considered one of the best ever, but there's no way he's close to #1. There were guys at Rucker Park who could've been in the NBA back then.

41 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Can you imagine a player like Jason Smith playing in the 50's. He'd destroy them? And that's Jason Smith. lol

I am not one of those old school is the best types. Not even close.

Saying all of that, Hakeem Olajuwon considered a 7 footers because he reached that height in shoes. (he was really like 6'10" and a half)Bill Russell, and most every other player until the early 80s, were measured barefoot. Id wager Bill Russell is closer to 7 feet tall than most think. He also had a 7'5" wingspan.

He was also hyper athletic as well.

His offensive game was limited, but defensively he would have the Draymond Green mind mixed with height and athleticism.

Jason Smith would get eaten alive by Bill Russell in the low post.

33 minutes ago, Hersh said:

From back when?

Any era.  I know for a fact there has never been a shooter as good as Steph, nor does there exist a defender in history that could stop a seven footer that moves like a guard and can shoot from anywhere on the court.  Golden State has two MVPs under 30, already set the wins record, and are a win away from becoming the only team ever to sweep the post season entirely.  There is no question that this team is historically good.  The team they are playing in the finals was considered a super team.

When has one of the all time greatest players had two healthy allstars under 30 with him and still been beaten so badly the collective reaction is "well he can't do it alone"?  The Warriors made Lebron's super team look like AI trying to take on Kobe and Shaq. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The reverse is true which makes it interesting. Who guards Magic? Who guards Worthy? These were not small teams we are talking about in the 80s and 90s. 

Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson.

The Warriors are actually taller and longer than the 80s Lakers were, minus Kareem. And could you even play Kareem against the Warriors? Imagine what would happen if Kareem got switched on to Curry? He'd either flagrant foul him or tear every fiber in his leg.

This is Curry putting Gobert in the blender a few weeks ago

I think Durant would have enough to handle Worthy. (he better than Worthy and would probably dominate him)

Like @Lombardi's_kid_brother said earlier, the bball of the 80s isnt close to the same sport of today. Players didnt even get into real defensive stances back then, let alone have defensive concepts. And thats not even touching that 3>2 and the Warriors hit a lot of 3s.

The Warriors would wash the Lakers of any era. Wash the Bulls. Wash the Celtics. Wash them all.

Oddly enough, the one team I think could give them some issues is the championship Rockets of the 90s. That team could play in this era. And Hakeem was athletic enough to not get embarrassed on switches. They were one of the first teams to rely on the 3 point shot heavily too and had Robert Horry who could play stretch 4. (rockets were one of the first teams to even use a stretch 4 with Horry and Pete Chilcutt)

Ultimately there is a big talent gap between the two teams and the Warriors would wash them, but Hakeem is the type of center that would give this team problems and they surrounded him with shooters.

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson.

The Warriors are actually taller and longer than the 80s Lakers were, minus Kareem. And could you even play Kareem against the Warriors? Imagine what would happen if Kareem got switched on to Curry? He'd either flagrant foul him or tear every fiber in his leg.

This is Curry putting Gobert in the blender a few weeks ago

I think Durant would have enough to handle Worthy. (he better than Worthy and would probably dominate him)

Like @Lombardi's_kid_brother said earlier, the bball of the 80s isnt close to the same sport of today. Players didnt even get into real defensive stances back then, let alone have defensive concepts. And thats not even touching that 3>2 and the Warriors hit a lot of 3s.

The Warriors would wash the Lakers of any era. Wash the Bulls. Wash the Celtics. Wash them all.

Oddly enough, the one team I think could give them some issues is the championship Rockets of the 90s. That team could play in this era. And Hakeem was athletic enough to not get embarrassed on switches. They were one of the first teams to rely on the 3 point shot heavily too and had Robert Horry who could play stretch 4. (rockets were one of the first teams to even use a stretch 4 with Horry and Pete Chilcutt)

Ultimately there is a big talent gap between the two teams and the Warriors would wash them, but Hakeem is the type of center that would give this team problems and they surrounded him with shooters.

Sorry, but you are in your own basketball world with your love for the Warriors. Blinded if you think this team would just handle all others no problems except the Rockets in the 90s. 

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Sorry, but you are in your own basketball world with your love for the Warriors. Blinded if you think this team would just handle all others no problems except the Rockets in the 90s. 

No, I think they handle the Rockets too.

Matchups make battles.

The Lakers took five three-pointers a game in the 86-87 season. Kareem was a terrible rebounder after 1982. 

Curry takes about seven three-pointers a game himself and the Warriors take 31 a game hitting 12 on average.

I used to believe the 86-87 Lakers were the GOAT team. But Durant on this Warriors team changes all of that. You all can be nostalgic and cling to the old days all you want, and that is fine. But there is no rational answer for a guy like Kevin Durant. Especially since defenses are so afraid of Curry that they allow layups. What is Byron Scott gonna do when he sees Curry pull up and wet a 35 footer?

The Rockets at least have some elements of todays NBA in their tactics plus a big man who is super athletic.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

Any era.  I know for a fact there has never been a shooter as good as Steph, nor does there exist a defender in history that could stop a seven footer that moves like a guard and can shoot from anywhere on the court.  Golden State has two MVPs under 30, already set the wins record, and are a win away from becoming the only team ever to sweep the post season entirely.  There is no question that this team is historically good.  The team they are playing in the finals was considered a super team.

When has one of the all time greatest players had two healthy allstars under 30 with him and still been beaten so badly the collective reaction is "well he can't do it alone"?  The Warriors made Lebron's super team look like AI trying to take on Kobe and Shaq. 

The teams from the 80's, 90's and 00's were not smaller nor less skilled. It's delusional to think, as a couple on here apparently do, that this is some all world team that would run circles around all other teams because they are bigger (they aren't) or faster (they aren't) or can guard everyone else (they can't). You drop this team in another era when the rules are different and they aren't as good as they are in this era. They would adjust their style of play and still be great but this, they are better than all others is just comical. 

35 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Given the current rules, they'd kill them.

They'd collapse and rotate (just like they do know if a team has a good post player) and force the older teams to beat them from the perimeter, which they couldn't do (unless you start claiming that the old teams would be better shooters than they were at the time they played).

Put Worthy in the post and they'd double on the catch and have a 3rd person sag into a position to help at the rim if he put the ball in the floor.  Worthy would be playing 1 on 3.

The biggest thing with the Lakers is there is no way you can trap today.  Given the players and the rules, you'd get killed if you tried to trap.

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The teams from the 80's, 90's and 00's were not smaller nor less skilled. It's delusional to think, as a couple on here apparently do, that this is some all world team that would run circles around all other teams because they are bigger (they aren't) or faster (they aren't) or can guard everyone else (they can't). You drop this team in another era when the rules are different and they aren't as good as they are in this era. They would adjust their style of play and still be great but this, they are better than all others is just comical. 

Its not comical. 

Durant, Iggy, Draymond, Livingston, and Klay can guard four positions and Draymond can guard all five. They are long as heck.

Tell me, how would those great teams stop the Warriors?

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

23 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Naw... the 00's Lakers can get at them. Ain't nobody hanging with Shaq and I think they have enough pieces to at least contain the Warriors. I didn't even mention Kobe until now. That should tell you something.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

No, I think they handle the Rockets too.

Matchups make battles.

The Lakers took five three-pointers a game in the 86-87 season. Kareem was a terrible rebounder after 1982. 

Curry takes about seven three-pointers a game himself and the Warriors take 31 a game hitting 12 on average.

I used to believe the 86-87 Lakers were the GOAT team. But Durant on this Warriors team changes all of that. You all can be nostalgic and cling to the old days all you want, and that is fine. But there is no rational answer for a guy like Kevin Durant. Especially since defenses are so afraid of Curry that they allow layups. What is Byron Scott gonna do when he sees Curry pull up and wet a 35 footer?

It's not about being nostalgic, it's about pretending that all these teams have to play Golden State in this era or that great athletes from any era wouldn't adjust or play differently. Who on this team is guarding Jordan, especially without hand checking? GS would adjust to other eras just as those teams would adjust to now. 

Just now, CrypticVillain said:

Naw... the 00's Lakers can get at them. Ain't nobody hanging with Shaq and I think they have enough pieces to at least contain the Warriors. I didn't even mention Kobe until now. That should tell you something.

The Lakers 3rd option was Derek Fisher.

It's not happening.

And Shaq couldnt guard PnRs back then. Imagine now?

The only centers in history that I think could handle the switches would be Hakeem and DRob. Everyone else would get put in that blender.

• Like 1

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Lakers 3rd option was Derek Fisher.

It's not happening.

And Shaq couldnt guard PnRs back then. Imagine now?

The only centers in history that I think could handle the switches would be Hakeem and DRob. Everyone else would get put in that blender.

I hear ya, but on the flip side, Shaq can have his way with anybody on that team. I think by slowing the game down, they'd be able to defend a little better.

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

It's not about being nostalgic, it's about pretending that all these teams have to play Golden State in this era or that great athletes from any era wouldn't adjust or play differently. Who on this team is guarding Jordan, especially without hand checking? GS would adjust to other eras just as those teams would adjust to now. 

But you can't do this. The Lakers of that era was great because of THAT playing style. You can't say "well, they would take more 3 pointers and learn how to shoot jumpers." You can't do that. 

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Its not comical. 

Durant, Iggy, Draymond, Livingston, and Klay can guard four positions and Draymond can guard all five. They are long as heck.

Wait, Klay Thompson can now guard four positions? Iggy can now guard four positions. LOL Sure. 

Just now, CrypticVillain said:

I hear ya, but on the flip side, Shaq can have his way with anybody on that team. I think by slowing the game down, they'd be able to defend a little better.

They would run Shaq off the court. Im convinced of that. Either foul trouble or just exhausting him.

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Its not comical. 

The Bulls have Harper 6'6, Jordan 6'6, Pippen 6'8 and Rodman 6'7 for starters. I'm sure you'll tell me how all these great Warrior defenders would shut down Jordan and everyone else. 

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

How many of these past teams the Warriors are supposed to slaughter with three pointers can't defend the three point line?

That's a weird sentence.

The only all-time team with a hope of playing modern defense is the 90s Bulls because Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman were such versatile defenders. But I don't know what you do with Rodman in the modern game. He wasn't interested in doing anything on offense other than crashing the boards. A modern defense wouldn't have to worry about 2 of the 5 positions on the Bulls. And - as we have all witnessed - the triangle looks like something out of the 1940s in the modern NBA.

Teams in the 80s barely played defense against each other. It would be incomprehensible for them to play this way.

I actually think the 80s Celtics would be interesting because I think they would punish the hell out of the Warriors inside and McHale in his prime was capable of guarding nearly anyone - even guards.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Just now, Hersh said:

Wait, Klay Thompson can now guard four positions? Iggy can now guard four positions. LOL Sure. 

We have seen Klay on Kevin Love in the post, and we have seen Klay handle him. That was just a couple of days ago.

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Bulls have Harper 6'6, Jordan 6'6, Pippen 6'8 and Rodman 6'7 for starters. I'm sure you'll tell me how all these great Warrior defenders would shut down Jordan and everyone else. 

Defensively, but the problem is the Warriors shoot 3s while they shoot 2s.

Also, Durant has 4 inches on Pippen.

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That's a weird sentence.

The only all-time team with a hope of playing modern defense is the 90s Bulls because Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman were such versatile defenders.

Teams in the 80s barely played defense against each other. It would be incomprehensible for them to play this way.

I actually think the 80s Celtics would be interesting because I think they would punish the hell out of the Warriors inside and McHale in his prime was capable of guarding nearly anyone - even guards.

This is the problem with comparisons. People seem to be making assumptions that all things being equal, the Warriors would crush teams. Well, teams played defense like they did back in the day because that's how the game was back in the day. If Steph Curry played in the 80s and 90s, he wouldn't be the prolific 3-point shooter is he today. He may still be a great, great player, but the style and rules and the way the game was coached/played would dictate differences.