Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I just don't see the shoe company/athlete endorser relationship as being exploitative like you do.  For the most part the shoe companies do a great job marketing their athletes and they give them a ton of exposure and compensation.  There is enough competition in the industry that athletes can walk if they want a better deal, like Steph Curry did.

I have an issue with the idea that LaVar thinks he can make more money for Lonzo through his brand than he could through a deal with Nike/Adidas/UA.  That is such quixotic foolishness, I honestly think the guy is delusional.

Also, I still think it's gross that LaVar has explicitly turned his sons into brand assets to try and make money off of.  That is not something that a normal, healthy person does to their children.  I think it's gross that he is so shamelessly trying to ride his son's basketball career to personal fame.  And if he ends up making a Kardashian style show, that'll be gross too.

I don't think it's gross because everyone else does it.

I don't think shoe companies are exploiting athletes as much as I think it's interesting thinking for players and their families to establish a brand and ask for the shoe companies to lease their rights instead of owning everything.

the problem with Lavar is his bombastic nature and he being a complete idiot as evidence by his shoe concepts.

like what if a parent has a big time, one and done player and they get the son to wear their brand to games and whenever they on tv and sell stuff? It's a gray area that could have the athlete and family make a lot of money in college off their brand while skirting NCAA rules, and why would that be a bad thing? 

Lavar Ball is on to something but someone else will have to execute it better than that guy.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

That's because Lavar wants them to play that way. It's a mess.

I'm not sure about. If true he is setting up his kid to fail at playing college ball. 

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Still not a bad as being up 3-1 and losing the series.  It's one game.

Cling on to this while you can. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I'm not sure about. If true he is setting up his kid to fail at playing college ball. 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/stephan-gilling-relieved-lavar-ball-fired-chino-hills-coach-lamelo-lonzo-liangelo-ucla-high-school

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/lavar-ball-lamelo-liangelo-lonzo-chino-hills-high-school-coach-stephan-gilling-ucla

Edit:  This one is the best example of what a **** head Lavar ball is.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/lavar-ball-stephan-gilling-chino-hills-coach-lonzo-lamelo-liangelo-ucla-high-school

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

9 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

he got the last coach fired and got this one hired.

He wants the team to be centered around his sons. His younger sons are not even that good, especially the middle child.

• Like 1

Ball should be banned from all levels and leagues of basketball as punishment for his sons ugly ass jumpshots. They still shoot like 5 yr olds do. How do you not attempt to fix that. 

Some obvious child neglect went on there. 

• Like 2

Went to this game. Looked like a sellout, but the crowd never really got into it to help out the Spurs.  Kwahi can't do it all every night. He needs help! He can't be the PG,  SG, SF, PF and C.  Aldridge is softer than wet tissue. Spurs just got outhustled and punked.  Gotta stop the dribble penetration and have better perimeter defense, if they wanna get back in this series.

I said it before, but Kawhi is the MVP.

That Spurs team is not good without him being him. Their roster is close to what Lebron had at the end of his first Cleveland run. They win 60 games but its fools gold. Their guard play is atrocious.

LeMarcus Aldridge is a trash bin player too.

15 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It's a lot to ask Kawhi to be their best offensive player and also lock down the opposing teams best player on D. He does need help. 

to be fair, Danny Green tends to guard the best perimeter player for most of the game. They put Kawhi on him in the 4th.

Also, teams stop even running their offense through that player if Kawhi is on them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I don't think it's gross because everyone else does it.

I don't think shoe companies are exploiting athletes as much as I think it's interesting thinking for players and their families to establish a brand and ask for the shoe companies to lease their rights instead of owning everything.

the problem with Lavar is his bombastic nature and he being a complete idiot as evidence by his shoe concepts.

like what if a parent has a big time, one and done player and they get the son to wear their brand to games and whenever they on tv and sell stuff? It's a gray area that could have the athlete and family make a lot of money in college off their brand while skirting NCAA rules, and why would that be a bad thing? 

Lavar Ball is on to something but someone else will have to execute it better than that guy.

The problem with this approach by Lavar is this isn't purely a business venture. He's their father, so no matter how hard he may try, it's business and personal. And he immediately makes it difficult for his sons to say no, give constructive criticism, or hey....FIRE HIM, because he's also their dad and it's a conflict of interest. 

I feel like he has to know this, and know the position he's putting his sons in. I also don't know how he is representing Lonzo in these negotiations, as I recall, an agent for a NBA player needs to have a law degree and be certified. Does Lavar have these credentials? Now that doesn't come into play with Nike, adidas, and UA, but if he has an agent to negotiate his NBA contract, that guy needs to help Lonzo disentangle his career from Lavar. 

18 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

This one, showing how he cost Lonzo millions of dollars in shoe deals.  

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/lavar-ball-lonzo-ball-cost-shoe-deal-endorsement-nike-adidas-under-armour-nba-draft-043017

LOL, good luck releasing some garbage ass shoe from China that nobody is going to want to buy.  

To be fair, they're all made in some sweat shop in China. 

8 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

The problem with this approach by Lavar is this isn't purely a business venture. He's their father, so no matter how hard he may try, it's business and personal. And he immediately makes it difficult for his sons to say no, give constructive criticism, or hey....FIRE HIM, because he's also their dad and it's a conflict of interest. 

I feel like he has to know this, and know the position he's putting his sons in. I also don't know how he is representing Lonzo in these negotiations, as I recall, an agent for a NBA player needs to have a law degree and be certified. Does Lavar have these credentials? Now that doesn't come into play with Nike, adidas, and UA, but if he has an agent to negotiate his NBA contract, that guy needs to help Lonzo disentangle his career from Lavar. 

yeah, I am not defending Lavar Ball. I have to keep making that clear.

What I am saying is the line of thinking is interesting. I think a person with a better business sense will take advantage of it in the future and could make a lot of money.

Star college players get branded by shoe companies and the university. If a parent can figure out a way to get thier cut, build their brand, and use that as leverage in negotiations with a shoe company I think that would be VERY interesting.

Lavar Ball is just not smart enough to do that as we have seen.

The pace of that game last night was insane in the first half. It was the fastest basketball game I've ever seen...

And if that's the pace of this series, the Spurs don't have a chance. They're going to have to find a way to slow it down. They won't be able to keep up with that... 

If they don't slow it down...

NG5sr3.gif

Pops got it though. He's going to pull something out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MLSKINS said:

The pace of that game last night was insane in the first half. It was the fastest basketball game I've ever seen...

And if that's the pace of this series, the Spurs don't have a chance. They're going to have to find a way to slow it down. They won't be able to keep up with that... 

If they don't slow it down...

NG5sr3.gif

Pops got it though. He's going to pull something out.

The Spurs play 90s basketball.

The Rockets are playing present time basketball.

If the Rockets continue hitting 3s, the Spurs will be out in 5 or 6. (i give Kawhi and Pop that much respect)

53 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

To be fair, they're all made in some sweat shop in China. 

Right, all of the three bigs (Nike, Adidas, UA), the product is primarily made in Asian countries.  Was speaking more to the "brand name" itself and not the product materials or how they are made.  Mainly that he might have to settle for a Chinese brand (say OEM - yes I had to google it lol) and cost his son millions of dollars with Nike, Adidas and UA.  

Image result for oem shoes

I don't see him maxing out his son's revenue going overseas and striking a deal with some Chinese brand.  That is even if they are able to strike the deal he wants.  He may end up with no deal anywhere, which is shame for his son.  I know it's his father, but Lonzo's nuts need to drop and he should stand up against his dad now before he costs him any more multi-million dollar endorsements. 

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Mainly that he might have to settle for a Chinese brand (say OEM - yes I had to google it lol) and cost his son millions of dollars with Nike, Adidas and UA.  

Isn't DWade with Chinese shoe brand Li-Ning?