Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Yeah, Miami being the first "super team" is overblown. Boston got KG and Allen to join Pierce. And the other examples people have listed of teams using more than just drafting, to get big talents...

Up 3-1 losers, unite! Hahaha, will be interesting to see if there are enough jumpers to go around now...

And these "superteams" are always top heavy, and filled out with cheap and available guys because they usually have to gut the roster. GS doesnt really have to do that though. The bulk of their roster stays intact.

• Like 2

The difference is, Barkley was aging at that point. Past your prime sure, ring chase all you want. But its sad when someone in their prime does it.

But why wait to do it when you can do it now? I don't get it. Legacy? Who cares?

Lebron did it and he got two rings out of it. I doubt he cares about that when he thinks about those two rings.

sarcasm? after what Lebron did in Miami?! Bron, Wade, and Bosh all agreed to meet/stay in miami. Barf.

It's only kd going to GS. the current big names in GS were 100% drafted.

Miami was a mid seeded playoff team that had 3 great players join, sacrificing a lot of cap space, and filling the roster with old ass veterans like Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and spent that entire run vulnerable at C and PG. There was no rising salaray cap. There was no championship ready team already here. We didn't just beat the team our guy came from after being down 3-1, only for his squad to choke. Bosh/Lebron didn't leave teams very capable of winning titles in their own right.

This is SO much different than what Lebron did in SO many ways, but naturally people will reach for that. This year is going to suck.

#MakeBasketballFunAgain

• Like 4

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-durant-nba-free-agency-announcement/

From the man himself...

The primary mandate I had for myself in making this decision was to have it based on the potential for my growth as a player — as that has always steered me in the right direction. But I am also at a point in my life where it is of equal importance to find an opportunity that encourages my evolution as a man: moving out of my comfort zone to a new city and community which offers the greatest potential for my contribution and personal growth.

Can y'all stop defending this beta male behavior? LOL

This isn't like your job. This is a game and he's supposed to be a competitor. Talking about his livelihood and quality of life like he isn't already a multi-millionaire, and poised to make many more millions no matter what decision he made is pointless.

Come on GB don't be like that. This is exactly like our jobs it's just that the scale of money is different. A regular person taking $5-8k less a year for a better company, situation, city or overall happiness, is the equivalent of him doing the same just in terms of millions.

He's still a competitor and that's why he wants to win. This might be a Game to us but to them it's their job where they have to put forth effort 365 days a year just like the rest of us.

Would any of us take a job that pays about the same, in a better city, with better coworkers, better management, where I can achieve my goals more easily and I don't have to do as much work? Um yes I would

The Wizards aren't the Golden State Warriors.

My point is if this move or offseason made he Wiz into some juggernaut, I doubt you'd be complaining

Just like if Snyder has bought us a few Super Bowls with all the free agency stuff of the early 2000s. I'm sure we would all be so upset at the somehow dishonorable approach we took to those titles haha

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Yeah, Miami being the first "super team" is overblown. Boston got KG and Allen to join Pierce. And the other examples people have listed of teams using more than just drafting, to get big talents...

Up 3-1 losers, unite! Hahaha, will be interesting to see if there are enough jumpers to go around now...

It's like no one remembers when Barkley and Pippen joined Hakeem and Clyde in Houston. Or when Malone and Payton joined Shaq and Kobe (and Phil) in LA.

The only difference I see is that those guys did it at the end of their careers.

• Like 2

No it hasnt. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Isiah thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon, these guys were all drafted by a team and they built those teams into champions, they didn't take the path of least resistance by creating a superteam.

In the past teams were built, you never saw big time superstars forming all star teams through free.

?

Look closer

• Like 1

It's like no one remembers when Barkley and Pippen joined Hakeem and Clyde in Houston. Or when Malone and Payton joined Shaq and Kobe (and Phil) in LA.

The only difference I see is that those guys did it at the end of their careers.

So.eone mentioned the Lakers and Bulls and Pistons teams

Aguirre

Kareem

Wilt

Rodman (Chi)

Kerr

Thats just who I can think of off the top of my head. Players on those teams were not all grown and watered at the same time in a Field of Dreams or some other mess.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

At the end of the day people count the rings. It's only been a few years and people don't hold it against Lebron for leaving like they used to.

History will look back fondly on both Lebron and Durant (given the situations aren't similar both in teams left and teams joined) for the championships they've won, no matter how they got them.

Just like people dont care that Magic and Bird somehow ended up teams surrounded by HOF talent. As if Bird was drafted by some **** team he wouldn't want to go to a better situation. He just didn't have to.

This is SO much different than what Lebron did in SO many ways, but naturally people will reach for that. This year is going to suck.

It is. LeBron was the alpha dog on those Miami teams. Durant just agreed to become Steph Curry's sidekick. At best, his legacy is now as Scottie Pippen. At worst, Mark Aquirre or Adrian Dantley. He gave up his chance at being in Bird or LeBron's class for good.

I'm disappointed he proved out to be such a ****. I thought he wasn't but he is.

• Like 1

It is. LeBron was the alpha dog on those Miami teams. Durant just agreed to become Steph Curry's sidekick. At best, his legacy is now as Scottie Pippen. At worst, Mark Aquirre or Adrian Dantley. He gave up his chance at being in Bird or LeBron's class for good.

I'm disappointed he proved out to be such a ****. I thought he wasn't but he is.

When Lebron left people were saying it was Wades team and he went to be Wades Robin. See how this plays out.

It's not a **** move though IMO. It's just unprecedented for a team as good as GS to be in this position but the crazy cap situation has allowed it and Durant is taking advantage of it

There ar tons of stars we would consider "alpha" type guys that would love to do this. The stars just aligned for Durant this offseason

Miami was a mid seeded playoff team that had 3 great players join, sacrificing a lot of cap space, and filling the roster with old ass veterans like Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and spent that entire run vulnerable at C and PG. There was no rising salaray cap. There was no championship ready team already here. We didn't just beat the team our guy came from after being down 3-1, only for his squad to choke. Bosh/Lebron didn't leave teams very capable of winning titles in their own right.

#MakeBasketballFunAgain

Cavs were the 1 seed and got knocked out by the celtics who eventually lost in game 7 in the finals. The previous three years, they got knocked out in ECF, lost to eventual champs Boston, and lost in Finals to Spurs. To say that Cavs had no shot at the title, especially considering aging Boston is a bit much.

GSW undoubtedly presents a better situation than Miami, but Miami was odds on favorite going into the season too (and came damn close to winning it).

This year OKC had GSW on the ropes, but we could all see Curry wasn't himself post injury in the playoffs. LeBron and KD both left their teams in search of a better chance at a championship despite already being on contenders. Admittedly, KD found a better situation, but the core of what they did is the same.

History will look back fondly on both Lebron and Durant (given the situations aren't similar both in teams left and teams joined) for the championships they've won, no matter how they got them.

The situation isn't comparable to LeBron's. LeBron was the key to building a super team from the ground up, and was the clear cut best player and leader of that team. It was his in the way that the Bulls were Jordan's and the Celtics were Bird's.

Durant just joined a pre-built juggernaut that was already maybe the second greatest team in NBA history. A team that is led by a player who is better and more accomplished than him. It was a sad beta move. And he left a team where he already had an MVP caliber sidekick playing beside him.

Say what you want about LeBron, but unlike Durant in OKC, his situation in Cleveland was truly hopeless whereas OKC is loaded and they are one of the best run organizations in the league. And LeBron would never accept going to a team where he is not the alpha dog and leader. That would be an impossibility. There is no more alpha player in the league than him any more. Durant just ensured that he will never be celebrated like LeBron.