Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Wow. A good series. No game was close until the final game, but nonetheless they played a equal. This series is more about James winning a championship than Golden State blowing it imo.

If the Warriors hadn't set a wins record and gone up 3-1 in the series I'd agree with you.  But they did... and they choked.  The Patriots are the only team that compares and they never held a near insurmountable lead in the superbowl against the giants.  They did lose for the same reason though, the other team was way more physical. 

This loss changes the narrative on the Warriors and Curry.  They went from an all time super team lead by a super star, to chokers that only beat the Cavs the first time because of injury, lead by the softest MVP since Steve Nash.  It might not seem fair, but this is pro sports and the fallout from failure this significant is rarely kind.

There is no getting around the fact that Curry got punked.  Failed to show up last year and this year Lebron the Cavs made a point to dump him on his ass several times, swat his layups, and talk trash in his face.  I saw Kyrie out there getting physical with him and treating him like an easy match up.  In game seven he shrank and scored 17 on 19 attempts.  That is a world of ugly to live down.  

Only way back from this is to continue to win, pile up the championships, and make this season the aberration instead of the defining moment.  Good luck with that.

• Like 3

People have no reason to hate on Curry. He is still the skinny kid with no expectations. Lebron was packaged as the new GOAT before he was out of HS - then a choker who never took the shot or stepped up in big gamess and - got soft rings with DWade.

Only Lebron would get the "doing it for good press" reaction to returning to Cleveland... no other player has chosen to go back and bring a ring to his hometown. The SI cover will probably read LE-DEMPTION or something along those lines.

James is up there but Jordan never lost in the Finals. Just didn't happen.

Jordan also didn't get there several times. Is losing in the playoffs better than losing in the Finals? Jordan didn't make it out of the first round until his fourth season and couldn't get past Detroit 3 years in a row to get to the Finals. Jordan (after 7 years) finally got to the Finals to beat a recently diagnosed with HIV magic Johnson in the last year of his career. The competition for Jordan fell off when he took off. No more Magic or Bird. No more Detroit "Bad Boys". No other real superstars to play against. Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and Patrick Ewing, while all great players, we're the best he faced. I'm not saying LeBron is better, but he's playing in a different era, and his career is far from over. When it's all said and done, he could retire with as many or more championships, and already has more Finals appearances.

Edited by ddub52
  • Like 1

San Diego

That doesn't count. He only cares about cities that have at least 3 major sports teams.

He got his badge of honor I guess

Not a GS fan, but this is exactly why I wished that GS won.

I'd say act like they've been there before but damn they never have lol

Who knows what this next year is going to be like with a Cleveland champion

That doesn't count. He only cares about cities that have at least 3 major sports teams.

He got his badge of honor I guess

I'd say act like they've been there before but damn they never have lol

Who knows what this next year is going to be like with a Cleveland champion

Sucks that we won't be able to talk bad about them anymore.

We'll always have the Wizards though... But even that feels like picking on the special needs kid.

Jordan also didn't get there several times. Is losing in the playoffs better than losing in the Finals? Jordan didn't make it out of the first round until his fourth season and couldn't get past Detroit 3 years in a row to get to the Finals. Jordan (after 7 years) finally got to the Finals to beat a recently diagnosed with HIV magic Johnson in the last year of his career. The competition for Jordan fell off when he took off. No more Magic or Bird. No more Detroit "Bad Boys". No other real superstars to play against. Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and Patrick Ewing, while all great players, we're the best he faced. I'm not saying LeBron is better, but he's playing in a different era, and his career is far from over. When it's all said and done, he could retire with as many or more championships, and already has more Finals appearances.

C'mon, Magic hadn't been diagnosed yet, that is completely inaccurate.  That season, he averaged 19.4 ppg, 12.5 apg and 7.0 rpg.  To act like Jordan beat a diminished Magic to win his first title isn't accurate at all.  Magic, that year, was the same age as LeBron is this year.  Definitely a veteran but by no means over the hill or unproductive.  That, and he finally beat the Pistons that year to get to the finals...they weren't as strong as they were in previous years but they were still formidable.

In the finals, he faced Barkley the year that Barkley won the MVP and faced Malone the year he won the MVP, too.  I'm not sure what your argument is here.  Barkley and Malone are two of the top 5 power forwards of all time.  

Jordan also did it in on teams with no center in an era where having a dominant center was completely crucial to winning it all.  Magic had Kareem, the Celtics had Parrish and the Pistons had Laimbeer...who wasn't in the same breath as the other two but was still better than anyone Jordan played with.  The years Jordan stepped away to play baseball, the league was dominated by Hakeem Olajuwon who faced Shaq and then Ewing in back to back finals.  The fact that Jordan won 6 rings without a dominant 7 footer in an era where dominant center play was pretty crucial to teams success is one of the things that never gets talked about.  

Clearly you never watched Bulls vs. Knicks in the playoffs, those were physical battles that we'll never see again.  To act like Jordan faced inferior competition during his title runs is such an off base argument it's not even funny.  He played in an era with harder defensive rules and less teams which means the teams were deeper.  

• Like 1

They have no choice, they have a lot of expiring contracts. This loss is a big one for them that can change the entire Warriors narrative. They could have just gone from one of the best teams ever to the Mavericks. We won't know until we see what the team looks like next season. How much the team changes remains to be seen.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/GSW.html

I see what you're talking about. In my head, if that's the real Harrison Barnes we saw in the finals, that's really not that bad. I don't see anyone expiring (outside Barnes, but he's a dork in my book right now) that can't be replaced with a couple ring hunters.

Well done Cleveland. I gave them no chance when they were down 3-1 to win 2 in GS, including a game 7. They certainly proved me wrong.

The big 3 earned their money in the final minute. Kyrie with the clutch 3. Kevin Love has never played defense that good in his life. lol One on one against the MVP and GOAT shooter and a great ball handler on the perimeter and he rose to the occasion. Hats off.

Edited by justice98

You're probably a Curry fan or a Wall fan. Bottom line is he delivered be you boys couldn't! They dream of having handles like Kyrie. Why not just witness what you saw and appreciate it. And bow down to King James. 73 wins, was a failure. Last years championship was because of injury to the Cavs. Poetic justice served!

Stuff like this is what ruins sports for me.

Spiff, I ask this because I have thought about it many times. So bear with me. 

Did the teams really need a dominant center back then ? 

Seriously, Kareem was not dominant at that point of his career, Parrish was not, Laimbeer was not. 

Those guys were good defenders...not great all time defenders at that point of their careers. 

A big center is always great to have to clog up the lane, challenge shots, rebound. Scoring was put backs and dunks. The footwork made made them good, none of them were really that dominant at that point. Thus the reason the Lakers and Celtics needed good passers and shooters. Not to mention supplementary defenders. 

Edited by Kosher Ham

Jordan also didn't get there several times. 

This is as ridiculous as arguing that LeBron can't be the best ever because he lost the 2007 Finals. Nobody was getting past Bird-McHale-Parrish and he didn't have a decent teammate until Pippen, who didn't become Pippen really until his third year in the league. Harping on him losing to teams filled with  Hall of Famers is unfair. Just as unfair as harping on LeBron  for losing when his teammates couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Last night was a sensational accomplishment for LeBron. When he retires, it's going to be him and Michael at a dinner for two, and then everyone else. Who is 1A and 1B we can debate until the cows come home but it's irrelevant at this point, this isn't an NHL situation where Gretzky put so much separation between him and everyone else. 

The pettiness on both sides of the debate shows how much we really can't just appreciate greatness in sports. I mean I really dislike LeBron, but the guy is an amazing basketball player and worthy of Mt. Rushmore.

The Jordan bots can hug all the nuts they want. He never played a team as good as GS. There is no sane argument to convince anyone otherwise.

As for "Deeper teams," all I can say is that the league u derwent major expansion during that Bulls run. Not to mention a lot of young stars getting injured, and the stars of the late 90's/'00s being young pups, on top of bad team management *coughloadedBulletssquadcough* There were no deep teams. The NBA sucked.

The NBA is as competitive and globally integrated as its ever been, and the Warriors lapped the field. Then Lebron went Super Saiyan and dropped that spirit bomb and made history.

Back to back 40 pt games, and a triple double in the 7th game, and lead all players in every statistical category.

Sorry, MJ. Sit the **** down.

This is as ridiculous as arguing that LeBron can't be the best ever because he lost the 2007 Finals. Nobody was getting past Bird-McHale-Parrish and he didn't have a decent teammate until Pippen, who didn't become Pippen really until his third year in the league. Harping on him losing to teams filled with Hall of Famers is unfair. Just as unfair as harping on LeBron for losing when his teammates couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Last night was a sensational accomplishment for LeBron. When he retires, it's going to be him and Michael at a dinner for two, and then everyone else. Who is 1A and 1B we can debate until the cows come home but it's irrelevant at this point, this isn't an NHL situation where Gretzky put so much separation between him and everyone else.

The pettiness on both sides of the debate shows how much we really can't just appreciate greatness in sports. I mean I really dislike LeBron, but the guy is an amazing basketball player and worthy of Mt. Rushmore.

I agree with this Edited by Mr. Sinister

He never claimed it, but I'm curious to the extent of Curry's injuries. Not being able to seperate from or drive by Love in the 4th has to make people wonder about that ankle and knee.

Also, not an excuse.

Also also..as much as Lebron carried that Cavs team through the playoffs, he doesn't get a ring this year without Kyrie hitting the big shot and his own above average primo flopping skills. Got to give credit to both when it's due.

Edited by The Evil Genius

He never claimed it, but I'm curious to the extent of Curry's injuries. Not being able to seperate from or drive by Love in the 4th has to make people wonder about that ankle and knee.

One thing that does need to be mentioned. The Warriors never reached their peak this series and that includes Games 1 and 2. They whooped them but they got to 73 because Steph was AMAZING this year in the regular season. He was a shell of himself during this series which opened the door. If Steph played like he was  the unanimous MVP, Golden State is walking away with another trophy. He left a lot to be desired. Missing shots is one thing, but the carelessness was inexcusable.

Also, not an excuse.

Also also..as much as Lebron carried that Cavs team through the playoffs, he doesn't get a ring this year without Kyrie hitting the big shot and hiw own above average primo flopping skills. Got to give credit to both when it's due.

I thought Stephs flopping was admirable in Gm 6

But he was obviously hurt, no question about it.

Edited by Mr. Sinister