Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Indy is 33-4 at home this season, 19-17 on the road. They need to get their crap together because they desperately need to get the first seed.

But Miami also desperately needs to make sure Indy doesn't get the first seed. Both of these teams are kind of backsliding into the postseason, but this is going to be an interesting finish.

There's no doubt in my mind that Miami can win a big game in Indy. Indy WILL NOT win a game 7 in Miami.

I admit, I was wrong about Indy. I thought they had the mentality to take Miami this year, but as soon as they're #1 guy started kneeling down to LeBron, I knew they weren't ready.

which part?

i like the "lock the draft order" part better than the "play-in round for sucky teams" portion... but i like both..

The draft order part is fine but people make too much of the "tanking" issue in the nba. In every other sport it's called "rebuilding" or simply "terrible management". Is the 6ers winning percentage that much worse than the Houston Texans or, sadly, the Washington Redskins? No. Yet the nfl has no draft lottery. They flat out reward the worst team with the best pick.

I think it all comes down to the nba's plague of front running fans and the terrible media that covers the nba. They don't like a team, they like good teams and have no shame in jumping to the latest winner. The media is essentially made up of only these types of leeches. What bothers them isn't that the 76ers are bad, it's that they could land a good player and they don't want that. They want good teams to be "rewarded" which is to say they want super teams to root for.

The new commissioner needs to understand that these front runner fans and the star worshipping idiots in the media want what is bad for the league. The NFL with parity is better than it was at its time if dynasty teams for the average fan. The super team model is outdated as is the idea that more games = better. The two things that make sports exciting, both of which the nfl has, are single elimination tournaments and parity. The idea that anyone can win, and that we have no idea who that is, along with games that mean everything as opposed to 1/7th of everything or 1/82nd. There is no question that a seven game series ensures the most talented teams advance.... but sports drama isn't about making certain of that. It's about underdogs having a real chance and shocking the world. The nba lacks that.

• Like 1

I haven't thought about potential unintended consequences yet, but I too like the sound of locking the draft order at the AS break.

Teams know pretty quickly when their seasons are over though. It wouldn't stop tanking up until the AS break. But it would probably stop it afterwards. Build more momentum for the league heading into the postseason when the season is in it's dog days and people are getting tired. Also, maybe you'll stop bad teams from dumping even more of their talent at the trade deadline that way.

The tournament wouldn't be as exciting as you'd think. You know none of those teams are going to do anything in a seven game series against a one seed. It would just be a nifty weekend of basketball that people would probably forget about immediately after.

But people love gambling and filling out brackets though. You could drum up interest in the even for that alone.

It's a total gimmick, but I'm for it.

There's no doubt in my mind that Miami can win a big game in Indy. Indy WILL NOT win a game 7 in Miami.

I admit, I was wrong about Indy. I thought they had the mentality to take Miami this year, but as soon as they're #1 guy started kneeling down to LeBron, I knew they weren't ready.

Indy may not get out if the first round the way they've been playing. They've been mediocre for a month and they don't have much time to turn things around.

Destino people are pissed at the 76ers because they're obviously not trying, not because they're bad. They aren't pissed at the Pistons or Kings or any of the other teams that are just bad. Failing to compete undermines the credibility of the entire league. You can't make fans care about or respect a game that one of the competitors doesn't even care about.

I'd be more OK with teams tanking if they made their home games free.

this comes down basically to a welfare dependency question :)

once a bad team knows its season is basically over---  the way  to end the death spiral (for next season) is to shake things up a bit, strive to figure out who on their team has a future, build up some momentum and cohesion amongst the people with a future on the team, and learn how to win together....

but then there is the draft.

so bad teams get all sorts of terrible incentives that move them away from establishing a winning culture in their locker rooms.  Instead, they try to do all of the above... but make sure they lose enough games so that the can get teh best possible next piece for their team.   It doesn't work (unless there is a Tim Duncan or a Lebron James waiting in the off season)-- but they have to anyway. 

i want bad teams to STRIVE to knock off as many wins as possible at teh end of seasons.  Learn how to win, and carry that momentum to the next season.    Right now fan-boards on bad teams are dissapointed if their team beats another poor record team (not only did their team fail to lock up another "high-quality" loss for draft positioning-- but they faild to weasel out a "win" for their dreaded  competition in the bowl game for leaguewide supremacy in sucking.)

anyhting that can get rid of that mentality is a win-win fo the league... and if the 76-ers/Kings/Bucks are incentivised to actually TRY to beat the Mavs/Clippers/Spurs  in the last week of the season, and actually succeed in knocking one of the "big-boys"  down a few post-season ranking slots.. then all the better.

the "play-in" tourney would be a sideshow with no real impact on the meat of teh playoffs.... but it might be interesting anyway (and again, goes towards bad teams having incentive to play their hearts out in a meaningful game, and possibly learn how win big games)

Edited by mcsluggo

How worried should the Pacers be?  They've got 7 games left after tonight and are currently losing to San Antonio 48-35 at half time (35 points in a half!).  In March they've gone 8-9 and other than the Heat lost to every team with a winning record they played in addition to losing to Cleveland and the Knicks.  This wouldn't matter if they were just coasting but all year long they've been saying they wanted home court in the playoffs and the Heat are just one game behind them in the standings.  They should be motivated right now but they aren't.  Their offense has collapsed and their defense isn't what it was either.  

Will they be able to just flip a switch and win when the playoffs start?  

which part?

i like the "lock the draft order" part better than the "play-in round for sucky teams" portion... but i like both..

Teams may not put good rosters together, but they don't tank. NFL and other leagues don't have lotteries. NHL just recently in the past 10 years or so just put in the lottery. I think it Le terrible. Worst gets first in my book.

Teams may not put good rosters together, but they don't tank. NFL and other leagues don't have lotteries. NHL just recently in the past 10 years or so just put in the lottery. I think it Le terrible. Worst gets first in my book.

I agree. Teams have to rebuild and rebuilding in pro sports is ugly. When you put a bunch of expiring contracts a young players on the floor the results are going to be bad. When you have guaranteed contracts however, what choices do these teams have?

How worried should the Pacers be?  They've got 7 games left after tonight and are currently losing to San Antonio 48-35 at half time (35 points in a half!).  In March they've gone 8-9 and other than the Heat lost to every team with a winning record they played in addition to losing to Cleveland and the Knicks.  This wouldn't matter if they were just coasting but all year long they've been saying they wanted home court in the playoffs and the Heat are just one game behind them in the standings.  They should be motivated right now but they aren't.  Their offense has collapsed and their defense isn't what it was either.  

Will they be able to just flip a switch and win when the playoffs start?

Very worried IMO. They don't look good at all. I don't see them being able to just flip the switch in the playoffs but at least they'll get a bunch of home games to try and get energized.

No bull right. If we can get Nene healthy, I REALLY think we might could make a, little noise in the playoffs.

If Nene doesn't get healthy, I don't give us much of a chance. We haven't been playing that great either. If he does get healthy though, I almost like our chances against an imploding Indy team better than a streaking Bulls or Raptors team.

• Like 1

Told people the Spurs would be at least as good as last season and got the same boring "they are old" garbage talk back.  Yet again, proving to be the best franchise in the league.  19 and counting.

I don't think I remember a team being written off as often as the Spurs and people being so wrong. Weren't they supposed to be "too old" like 3 or 4 years ago?