Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Part of that Laker aura of superiority/invincibility was in how they were never awful, never had to really rebuild. They've never been a laughing stock before, not that I can remember anyway.

you aren't that old

I remember when James Worthy was the man for them on one leg during the end of his career.

They were terrible with Chris Mihm and Smush Parker in their starting 5 too.

The Lakers brand is a brand. Bigger than a season or two.

As for the contract, Kobe deserved it. End of story. The problem with the Lakers isnt just Kobe's contract. Jim Buss being a nutter is a bigger problem.

Edited by JoeWolf990

you aren't that old

I remember when James Worthy was the man for them on one leg during the end of his career.

They were terrible with Chris Mihm and Smush Parker in their starting 5 too.

The Lakers brand is a brand. Bigger than a season or two.

As for the contract, Kobe deserved it. End of story. The problem with the Lakers isnt just Kobe's contract. Jim Buss being a nutter is a bigger problem.

The Lakers aren't just bad, they're historically bad. This is how brands are destroyed. Imagine if they finish worse than the Sixers? Or if they're a threat to match the 72-73 Sixers' 9 wins? How do they rebound from that?

It's been easy to rebound in the past from bad teams but they weren't this bad. It's been easy to rebound because they've had great owners, that's not true anymore. And it's been easy to rebound because LA is arguably the best place to be a professional basketball player and there was no REAL alternative. Now the Clippers have a better team with better players, a better coach, a better owner and a better future.

It's really ugly man. Has there ever been a time in Lakers history where the draft, and specifically the lottery, was their ONLY hope?

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

The Lakers aren't just bad, they're historically bad. This is how brands are destroyed. Imagine if they finish worse than the Sixers? Or if they're a threat to match the 72-73 Sixers' 9 wins? How do they rebound from that?

It's been easy to rebound in the past from bad teams but they weren't this bad. It's been easy to rebound because they've had great owners, that's not true anymore. And it's been easy to rebound because LA is arguably the best place to be a professional basketball player and there was no REAL alternative. Now the Clippers have a better team with better players, a better coach, a better owner and a better future.

It's really ugly man. Has there ever been a time in Lakers history where the draft, and specifically the lottery, was their ONLY hope?

the Lakers play in LA and have 17 championships

The Yankees lost 90+ games in 1990 and 1991 when Baseball was king. Brand wasnt effected.

The Celtics were terrible for most of my sports viewing life, and are still a marquee team. Same for the Knicks.

It only matters if its like 20+ years of awfulness, like our football team, but a terrible season will not hurt the Lakers brand as much as people want it to hurt. (which is really what a lot of this is. People WANT it to suffer.)

If the Lakers suck for four or five years (which is what I think will happen), I think the brand takes a fairly substantial hit. I think it already has to some extent. People don't trust their ownership any more and FAs don't want to sign there. But for people to stop watching, that'll take a while.

That's the thing, the suck feeds on itself and becomes an ugly, undying cycle. The team sucks because nobody wants to go there and nobody wants to go there because they suck. Thus the draft, where players don't really have a choice, becomes their only hope. And relying on the draft can get really, really ugly. Luck is such a huge part of it. Us Wiz fans know better than anyone.

And I'm 100%, absolutely convinced that Stern would rig the lottery when he had good reason to do so, like one of his premier franchises being in an ugly rut. For some reason, I don't see Silver doing the same.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

That's the thing, the suck feeds on itself and becomes an ugly, undying cycle. The team sucks because nobody wants to go there and nobody wants to go there because they suck. Thus the draft, where players don't really have a choice, becomes their only hope. And relying on the draft can get really, really ugly. Luck is such a huge part of it. Us Wiz fans know better than anyone.

And I'm 100%, absolutely convinced that Stern would rig the lottery when he had good reason to do so, like one of his premier franchises being in an ugly rut. For some reason, I don't see Silver doing the same.

Yep. Marquee players flee Kobe's teams rather than flock to them. It's not just Kobe, their ownership has to be scaring players away too. The fiasco of a coaching situation is Redskins-esque. But Kobe is absolutely one of the biggest factors killing their FA draw. I don't think it can be overstated how significant it is that Dwight Howard walked away from 30 million dollars and his own TV show to leave LA for Houston. He must have hated Kobe.

Even Melo wasn't desperate enough to leave a situation in NY that's almost as bad to try and chase a ring with Kobe. And I guarantee that Russell Westbrook or Kevin Love or any other pipe dream FA won't sign in LA.

The Wizards have a better chance at signing marquee FAs than the Lakers do now... :lol:.

So yeah, it's going to be the draft. Which means they're going to be bad for a while. Even if they pick the right players and/or have the right players available to them. It takes years for young players to get it going when the cupboard is bare. And unless you've got Sam Presti running your draft, it's definitely hit or miss.

Re: Jahlil Okafor to the Lakers,

Is Okafor good enough to be the franchise in LA? Everything I've read and seen about him screams Al Jefferson 2.0. He's good. A high quality player but not a franchise cornerstone. Also, wouldn't he and Julius Randle form the worst defensive front court in the NBA? Coach K doesn't teach defense to his teams any more. I guarantee Okafor comes out not knowing dick about that side of the court, and even if he did, as slow as he is, he wouldn't be a great defender anyway.

Yeah, I would hate a Randle/Okafor front court. What I'd like to see is a Noel/Okafor front court and a Randle/Embiid front court. If LA ends up with the #1 pick and takes Okafor, they should make a straight up Noel for Randle swap with Philly. Both teams win.

Even Melo wasn't desperate enough to leave a situation in NY that's almost as bad to try and chase a ring with Kobe.

I'm with you on everything in the post, but Melo wasn't desperate enough to turn down the contract the Knicks could give him and chase a ring anywhere, I don't really think he fits with your examples.

So on the same day that I read this article on how ****ed the Nuggets are...

http://es.pn/1uFpMKe

They're up 10 on the Cavs late in the 3rd. God I hope they don't choke line the Celtics did.

It's on NBATV if anyone wants to watch

Oh yeah, and Dwight Howard abused his kid

http://tmz.com/#Article/2014/11/17/dwight-howard-abused-child-doctor-abuse-victim-belt-buckle

****s be ****s

Thank ****ing God we traded McGee. I've never understood how someone could come from such a basketball family as his could be so ****ing stupid on the court. That's why I never had much hope for him. Growing up with those parents and that ****ing basketball dumb, there's no hope. Watching him now, I was right

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Up 12 halfway through the 4th

LeBron pissed, slamming the ball, yelling at teammates. Cleveland fans booing. Come on Denver, don't blow this.

This is the third Cavs game I've watched this year and I swear to God Kevin Love is absolutely invisible. And they're not even pretending that Kyrie is the point anymore. It's all LeBron. Hell he's even guarding Lawson

Up 15, under 4 minutes.

We should absolutely stomp Cleveland this week

Lmao. Lawson let the inbounds pass roll, very slowly, all the way to the half court line, while LeBron and Blatt scream at the ref.

Anyway, lead down to 9 with a minute-30 left.

Yes!! That's game. Lmao @ Cleveland. Good way to close out the day.

Wall should seriously eat Cleveland alive. If Ty Lawson, God bless him, can do it, Wall should destroy them

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

It's kinda ****ed how depressed the NBATV folks seem to be over the Cavs sucking and choking. And I was about to post something about how far NBATV has come and how much better it is

The Mavs are taking the Hornets straight to the woodshed. They're gonna be a real test for the Wiz on Wednesday.

The great AL Jefferson with 6 points and 5 boards and TOP free agent signing Lance Stephenson with 6 points and...6(!!!) boards. Where art thou BS? Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

LeBron is learning that you can't turn losers into winners just because you're awesome. Wade and Bosh were proven studs who carried some pretty sorry ass teams on their backs just like LeBron.

Love and Irving are champions of driving the lottery train. It will be interesting to see if they buy into defense and hustling at all this year.

I was looking at some stats, it's looking like the Suns wildly overpaid Eric Bledsoe.  I think most people saw it that way when his deal was announced, but 13.3 points and 5 assists is not what you want to out of a 5th year player that just got a 5 year 70 million dollar deal. 

LeBron is learning that you can't turn losers into winners just because you're awesome. Wade and Bosh were proven studs who carried some pretty sorry ass teams on their backs just like LeBron.

Love and Irving are champions of driving the lottery train. It will be interesting to see if they buy into defense and hustling at all this year.

ESPN's power rankings for this week were ridiculous..  It was based more on last year and projections of what may be, then how teams are currently playing

ESPN's power rankings for this week were ridiculous..  It was based more on last year and projections of what may be, then how teams are currently playing

They were stupid. Not as stupid as the week two rankings though. Cleveland as the #1 team in the East was laughable. Chicago as #2 is wrong too. Marc Stein has a poor feel for the conference and has been consistently behind the curve on both Toronto and Washington. I bet he's only watching the national TV games for both teams... if that. The TNT guys are so much better than the ESPN guys.

• Like 1

John Hollinger is the worst. I've hated his ass for about a decade now. I haven't read him anytime lately so maybe he's switched it up, but in the past, it's like all of DC slept with his wife AND his daughter. Always seemed like it pained him to say something positive about the Wizards no matter what (think a non-moronic, NBA-focused UnWise Mike).

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 1

John Hollinger is the worst. I've hated his ass for about a decade now. I haven't read him anytime lately so maybe he's switched it up,

Hollinger is VP of Basketball Operations for Memphis now so I don't think he's doing too much writing these days.

Nice win by the Bulls tonight, but still laughing at Butler's minutes. 45 tonight. I hope Thibs doesn't break him before he has a chance to get the max deal he's playing for.

Hollinger is VP of Basketball Operations for Memphis now so I don't think he's doing too much writing these days.

Nice win by the Bulls tonight, but still laughing at Butler's minutes. 45 tonight. I hope Thibs doesn't break him before he has a chance to get the max deal he's playing for.

I'm absolutely positive I saw him and his rankings in some giant collection of NBA power rankings earlier today.

Thanks for letting me know that though. I've been wanting a new WC team to follow and hate. Memphis it is.