Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

But they are a big market, didn't you know that everyone wants to play there? That's why the Knicks are always so good.

/Stephen A Smith

Yeah the whole "Big Market" thing is one of the chief reasons I no longer watch any of the sports talk bs. Its for the sole purpose of self deluded star wannabe media hacks that don't wanna cover a game 3 miles from Farmer Ned's field.

If you build it, they will come. That has always been true in regards to sports. If any athlete thinks otherwise, they are in this profession for all the wrong reasons. A city/market alone is not going to cut it.

Millionaire athletes can live wherever they want, in the offseason. If I'm Russell Westbrook and I want to go to a club in Prague, I'm hopping the next flight to Prague. If I'm marketable enough to move some product, my phone will be ringing off the hook from my agent to get me to take the next flight out to LA.

It really does not matter.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Big Fat Boris Diaw never looked more like Big Fat Boris Diaw than right there.

Where does Diaw rank on the all-time list of Fat Athletes?

He's moved ahead of Bob Horner right? Still behind both Cecil and Prince Fielder and Charles Barkley (who wasn't always fat but when he got fat, was still good).

Diaw is either #1 or #2 for fat NBA players depending on your stance on Zac Randolph. (His fatness, not his ability).

Babe Ruth

/thread 

Edited by Predicto

Im surprised Manu didnt get fined for his flop also.

Did they ever show a replay? There were a lot of plays that weren't replayed that they normally would have. I just assumed the league wanted less questioning of the refs on non-calls from their tv partners.

Simmons was talking on a podcast last week that the big three in Miami could feasibly opt out and take a little less and bring in Melo. It's not likely but they think Riley has a big plan knowing their roster needs to be retooled while they can stay ahead of the curve. Again he probably won't hit that plan but geez, say it ain't so

I am serious. The greatest PF of this generation would have Mailman's offense, Duncan's defense and Garnett's talking to himself intensity. I don't hold it against Malone that he had to face Jordan all the time. I had this debate with my co-workers... perhaps we think it is closer than everyone else.

I am serious. The greatest PF of this generation would have Mailman's offense, Duncan's defense and Garnett's talking to himself intensity. I don't hold it against Malone that he had to face Jordan all the time. I had this debate with my co-workers... perhaps we think it is closer than everyone else.

Duncan is the greatest PF ever, man. It's really not even debatable.

Duncan is the greatest PF ever, man. It's really not even debatable.

Sure it's debatable.  25 points, 10 rebounds and 4 assists per game over 18 seasons makes it debatable.   Second most all time career points behind only Kareem makes it debatable.  

Duncan is a better defender, Malone was better on offense.  The rings ultimately break the tie in favor of Duncan, IMO.  

But it is not a slam dunk.

Im not that guy that holds rings above all else.

Duncan is great, and has an amazing team around him.

I don't believe Malone had the caliber of players around him, yet always had his team in contention. 

I'm no expert, but the two are practically interchangable in my mind.  Malone would have just as many rings as Duncan does, if he played for the Spurs in the same time frame.

That is the question I ask myself, could he replicate or increase the production in the other one's shoes.

To me he could have, so I say tie.

Duncan is a better defender, Malone was better on offense.

Malone was not better than Duncan on offense.

I know you will point to the stats, but when the Spurs needed a basket in Duncan's prime, he got it. The same was not true for Malone.

Duncan was just a better player than Karl Malone.

Duncan is great, and has an amazing team around him.

I don't believe Malone had the caliber of players around him, yet always had his team in contention.

check the 1999 and 2003 Spurs rosters.

The 1999 Spurs probably had the worst pair of starting guards to ever win an NBA title and a declining rapidly David Robinson. (he was never near the same player after that back surgery)

The 2003 Spurs had a finished David Robinson. Speedy Claxton was taking big minutes away from Tony Parker (who was in his 2nd year and was seen as expendable that summer) and Manu Ginobli was a crazy rookie who they did not rely upon.

Tim Duncan>>>>>> Karl Malone.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Karl Malone was going to score 8 points off the pick and roll, 8 points off that nice little jumper, and 8 points in transition in every game he ever played from now until the rest of time. That kind of consistency is remarkable, but - at the same - time, that's all he did. If you needed 30 to win, you were getting 8 points off the pick and roll, 8 points off that nice little jumper, and 8 points in transition. If you needed him to just annihilate the guy defending him, you were getting 8 points off the pick and roll, 8 points off that nice little jumper, and 8 points in transition.

To his credit, every coach in league history would love a guy on their team who was going to score 8 points off the pick and roll, 8 points off that nice little jumper, and 8 points in transition in every game he ever played from now until the rest of time. You'd take that guy. I'd take that guy.

I think the problem with Duncan is that he has been THIS Tim Duncan for so long, we have forgotten what he was like from '97 to '07. He was like a mix of Kevin McHale and Olajuwan in his prime. Just a monster on offense and defense who could do EVERYTHING.

Karl Malone was going to score 8 points off the pick and roll, 8 points off that nice little jumper, and 8 points in transition in every game he ever played from now until the rest of time. That kind of consistency is remarkable, but - at the same - time, that's all he did. If you needed 30 to win, you were getting 8 points off the pick and roll, 8 points off that nice little jumper, and 8 points in transition. If you needed him to just annihilate the guy defending him, you were getting 8 points off the pick and roll, 8 points off that nice little jumper, and 8 points in transition.

I'm a big Malone fan.  In my opinion, there is no question that Malone was a better player then Barkley.

I'm not sure he's better than Duncan though.

But this just isn't true.

This Day In History (1.27.90): Karl Malone scored 61 points on 26 shots in 33 minutes of a 48 point victory

http://ballislife.com/this-day-in-history-1-27-90-karl-malone-scored-61-points-on-26-shots-in-33-minutes-of-a-48-point-victory/

Oh and:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/page/BestFinalsGame-Individual-5/best-single-game-performances-no-5-karl-malone

Edited by PeterMP

Duncan is better than Malone. Malone needs Stockton and Sloan to be Malone because the PnRs are such a crucial part of his success as a player. Duncan doesn't really need anyone to be Duncan. He really didn't have any incomplete parts of his game in his prime. He's also a better defensive player than Malone was. Duncan's one of the greatest defenders ever.

The one big advantage Malone had on Duncan is durability and stamina. Duncan's played 17 seasons and has 43,605 regular season minutes + 8,808 postseason. 52,413 minutes in 1,485 games which is about 35.3 minutes a game in about 87.4 games a season.

Malone's minutes are crazy. He played 62,759 total minutes in 1,669 games in 19 seasons. 37.6 minutes a game for 87.8 games a season.

Duncan has missed a lot more time in the regular season than Malone did and he hasn't been a big minutes player the past few years. Aside from that final, sad year with the Lakers, Malone never missed more than two games in a season before. Duncan had prime years where he missed 10+ games.

37 MPG for 19 years is absolutely crazy for a true big man like Malone. In a pretty brutal era too. I feel like Malone gets crapped on more than he deserves and doesn't get celebrated enough for just how amazing his dependability and longevity was. There are bigs like Roy Hibbert that struggle to play 30 MPG for an entire season. Malone was playing superstar perimeter player minutes in a running offense without ever missing games for 18 straight seasons. He was as much a freak of nature as the league has seen.

I think the problem with Duncan is that he has been THIS Tim Duncan for so long, we have forgotten what he was like from '97 to '07. He was like a mix of Kevin McHale and Olajuwan in his prime. Just a monster on offense and defense who could do EVERYTHING.

Duncan is also a very selfless player. HE never averaged more than 20 shots a game in a season. In fact the most was 18.

37 MPG for 19 years is absolutely crazy for a true big man like Malone. In a pretty brutal era too. I feel like Malone gets crapped on more than he deserves and doesn't get celebrated enough for just how amazing his dependability and longevity was. There are bigs like Roy Hibbert that struggle to play 30 MPG for an entire season. Malone was playing superstar perimeter player minutes in a running offense without ever missing games for 18 straight seasons. He was as much a freak of nature as the league has seen.

I always say that Lebron is Larry Bird in Karl Malone's body. And that is a major compliment to both of them.

The key to everything Malone did was just how ridiculously durable and consistent he was. He didn't make the finals until he was 31 and 32....and was still in his prime. I'm not sure he ever did not have a prime. I don't think he was as great as his numbers say, because he basically played every possible minute of every possible game during his career with a coach and point guard who were put on Earth with one goal - get Karl Malone buckets.

This is really all you need to know about Malone.

At age 38, he played 80 games, average 38 minutes per game, and scored 22 per game. The guy may was one of the biggest physical freaks in the history of sports.

In comparsion, Garnett has not played more than 70 games only once since he turned 32. He hasn't played more than 38 minutes since he turned 31.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

What does Patrick Ewing have to do to get a head coaching job?  He's got to be seething after seeing the contracts both Kerr and Fisher have gotten.

Well, if I were him I wouldn't feel bad about Kerr. Kerr has been involved with pretty much every part of basketball. But Fisher, yeah that would piss me off.

I agree, Ewing must have some sort of enemy somewhere. He's actually a pretty cool guy and he seems like he'd be a good coach. I'd take him over Randy Wittman.

He's got a lot going for him other than basketball, but I'd also like to see David Robinson get into coaching one day. I think he could be a fantastic head coach at either the college or NBA level.

Well, if I were him I wouldn't feel bad about Kerr. Kerr has been involved with pretty much every part of basketball. But Fisher, yeah that would piss me off.

I agree, Ewing must have some sort of enemy somewhere. He's actually a pretty cool guy and he seems like he'd be a good coach. I'd take him over Randy Wittman.

He's got a lot going for him other than basketball, but I'd also like to see David Robinson get into coaching one day. I think he could be a fantastic head coach at either the college or NBA level.

I'm sure I'm missing someone, but what centers have ever become coaches?

Kareem has never been able to get a coaching job at any level despite going into SI and begging for a gig. Is there a bias against hiring centers?

I'm sure I'm missing someone, but what centers have ever become coaches?

Kareem has never been able to get a coaching job at any level despite going into SI and begging for a gig. Is there a bias against hiring centers?

Bill Russell and Dave Cowens off the top of my head.

Good calls. They did start as player-coaches though under Red Auerbach, who really liked that model. That may have given them a bit of an advantage on their peers. I'm curious to hear more. I'm sure there are, but I just can't think of any.

Willis Reed is another, but there may be a bias against centers.