Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2019-2020 NBA Season Thread***


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

To answer your question, it probably is.  They werent gonna make any more money stateside standing up to China.   And they wont lose enough in the US that wont be made up by the Chinese market.  The NBA in China is worth $4 billion.  They're not losing $4 billion in the US.

 

Some things are bigger then money, some costs are, too.

 

Either way, the china deal is spread out over 5 years.  The NBA is in middle of a 9 year TV contract with American broadcasters worth about $24 billion.  They can afford to lose that market, and might anyway if China decides not to player regular season games either.  

 

NBA is being told unconditional surrender to keep that market, one they want but dont need.  This may work itself out without the need to protest the NBA, I dont see Silver capitulating after his latest statements on this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

Some things are bigger then money, some costs are, too.

 

Either way, the china deal is spread out over 5 years.  The NBA is in middle of a 9 year TV contract with American broadcasters worth about $24 billion.  They can afford to lose that market, and might anyway if China decides not to player regular season games either.  

 

NBA is being told unconditional surrender to keep that market, one they want but dont need.  This may work itself out without the need to protest the NBA, I dont see Silver capitulating after his latest statements on this.

 

That's $4 billion they're trying to grow.  So the loss would really be more than that in the growth potential if it all went south.

 

When the Lakers and Clippers tip off on opening night, no one will care about this, AT ALL.  When they tip off in a couple week, this will be ancient history.  

 

We can talk about things being bigger than money, but in reality, we wont put our money where our mouths are and back it up.  So the NBA wont either. 

 

Edited by justice98
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Not to multinational corporations and the wealthy. History has told us that.

 

I'm not saying you wrong, I'm saying it's not right nor sustainable.

 

I'm going to avoid taking over this thread on this issue, I already made a different thread about it for going beyond the NBA.

 

Far as I'm concerned, I dont need to wait to see what the NBA is going to do, theyve already cost themselves the market I expect that contract to get killed at this point because Silver has made up his mind to say no to them in censoring his league.

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

When the Lakers and Clippers tip off on opening night, no one will care about this, AT ALL.  When they tip off in a couple week, this will be ancient history.  

 

We can talk about things being bigger than money, but in reality, we wont put our money where our mouths are and back it up.  So the NBA wont either. 

 

 

I disagree and that's big reason Silver said he wont censor his league.  I'd wait for the first national rockets game to say thisnqojt come up again, or if any signs get taken during the regular season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not saying you wrong, I'm saying it's not right nor sustainable.

It’s not right but it’s capitalism.

 

Look at how this country bends over backwards over the Gulf States. It’s not new, it probably isn’t sustainable, and this form of capitalism probably isn’t sustainable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I think they know exactly who they're doing business with.  They just hope this kind of stuff blows over (which it will) and they can fly under the radar as the money continues to roll in. 

 

Judging from the incompetent way they've fumbled through this controversy, I don't think they have a clue.  They never expected China to put them in this position.  And it's also clear to me that the players and coaches (AKA the league's most visible and media-accessible members) who are getting asked to comment on this haven't got the first clue about China, their recent history of human rights abuses, and the sensitivity of the domestic and foreign politics of doing business for China.

 

Sure they hope this is going to blow over, but it won't because whose going to change here?

15 minutes ago, justice98 said:

When the Lakers and Clippers tip off on opening night, no one will care about this, AT ALL.  When they tip off in a couple week, this will be ancient history.  

 

I am definitely not sure about this.  Again, whose going to change here?  If the league caves to China, that will trigger a boycott in the US and probably even congressional involvement.  If they don't cave to China, will the CCP just let this go?  This is only beginning, the media is not going to forget about this story, and non-traditional outlets have already begun covering it.

 

The only way this goes away quietly is if China caves, and I don't really see that happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Lebron think that through?  Does he think he can just say Morey wasn't educated on the situation and then not elaborate and people are just going to accept that at face value?  What does Lebron think Morey got wrong?  Why does he think that?  These questions are obvious and practically ask themselves.  Lebron is more than smart enough to know it. 

 

The truth is as obvious as it is disappointing.  Cash rules everything.  Never doubt it.  These players have been telling us they are all about their brands for years, and now we know just how true that is.  Not even genocide is worth risking profits. 

 

Edit:

 

When China says to "shut up and dribble" all that "More than an athlete" **** gets put on hold. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Congratulations, human race. We've finally figured out how to get capitalism and authoritarianism to coexist in broad daylight.

 

Capitalists have always loved doing business in foreign markets ruled by authoritarians.  It makes business easy for them because there is no concern for human rights.

 

LeBron's comments paint a picture of a sheltered NBA athlete who is barking up the wrong tree.  Maybe he should be pissed at China instead of Morey.  It seems completely lost on him and the league and ESPN that if an act of political speech as innocuous as that Morey tweet put people in genuine fear for their safety in the course of conducting their China business, then maybe you shouldn't be tripping over your dick to do business with those barbarians.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, he should be pissed at Morey because Morey is a coward. He backed off his statement immediately and then went ghost. Now he has nba players speaking on his mess. (And I say that not agreeing with Lebron)

 

In the state of Texas, another black person was killed by the police in their own home minding their business, is anyone going to talk about human rights there? Morey, as far as I know, has never uttered a sentence about that. LeBron doesn’t say but the bare minimum himself.
 

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Congratulations, human race. We've finally figured out how to get capitalism and authoritarianism to coexist in broad daylight.

This was figured out a long time ago and was done out in the open. Do not give the Chinese credit for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Nah, he should be pissed at Morey because Morey is a coward. He backed off his statement immediately and then went ghost. Now he has nba players speaking on his mess. (And I say that not agreeing with Lebron)

 

I think you're barking up the wrong tree too.  Do you really think Morey put a muzzle on himself?  Be mad at the NBA, not the players and GMs.  It was the NBA's decision to depend so heavily on commerce in China that they're willing to abandon their values and effectively censor the speech of Americans in America for the CCP.  It was the NBA's decision to let someone like Joseph Tsai buy a team.  Be mad at the Chinese government and business community for acting like thugs and then censoring the speech of, not just their own people, but of foreigners abroad.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

I think you're barking up the wrong tree too.  Do you really think Morey put a muzzle on himself?  Be mad at the NBA, not the players and GMs.  It was the NBA's decision to depend so heavily on commerce in China that they're willing to abandon their values and effectively censor the speech of Americans in America for the CCP.  It was the NBA's decision to let someone like Joseph Tsai buy a team.  Be mad at the Chinese government and business community for acting like thugs and then censoring the speech of, not just their own people, but of foreigners abroad.

Morey is NBA management, so I can say him and the NBA. James Harden having to speak on behalf of Morey and the Rockets is disgusting. Lebron having to make a statement on behalf of the nba is gross. The players didn’t do this, the NBA did. Morey is a coward, end of story.

 

And lol at “abandon their values.” The NBA is a capitalist entity. This is capitalism. You can’t be that naive of how the world works? They only values they have is making money.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

James Harden having to speak on behalf of Morey and the Rockets is disgusting. Lebron having to make a statement on behalf of the nba is gross. The players didn’t do this, the NBA did. Morey is a coward, end of story.


benning meat benning

 

None of them are speaking on behalf of Morey or the NBA. Total garbage take. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

 

This was figured out a long time ago and was done out in the open. Do not give the Chinese credit for this.

 

This feels different, and credit I'd want to give to Corporate America for lifting their skirt so blatantly like they are defending authoritarianism to make more money.  I preferred Jordan's approach of jus say little as possible on stuff like this and assume he doesnt care because they buy shoes, too.  This is disturbing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:


benning meat benning

 

None of them are speaking on behalf of Morey or the NBA. Total garbage take. 

Wtf is you talking about? That’s literally what that hostage statement he made last week was? 
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-james-harden-apologizes-for-gm-daryl-moreys-controversial-tweet-about-hong-kong/


how you gonna throw around that you reside in higher education circles and can’t even do a proper google search or better yet look at the context of situations.

 

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

This feels different, and credit I'd want to give to Corporate America for lifting their skirt so blatantly like they are defending authoritarianism to make more money.  I preferred Jordan's approach of jus say little as possible on stuff like this and assume he doesnt care because they buy shoes, too.  This is disturbing.

 

Nothing has really changed except China is powerful. If anything, this is corporate America realizing they not the big dogs anymore. They can’t bulldoze nations like they used to. (Again, not defending China. No one is good here and I wish people would start understanding that)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...