Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

42 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

21 assists is awesome.

20 points on 8-23 shooting is extremely meh.

20 rebounds for a stat-padding poacher like Brick is amusing.

Congrats on running it up against the Lakers B-squad!

Stop it

We saw something that has only been done once before. No need for any amount of shade or hate on this one.

Dont be that guy

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

"That Guy" is literally Beal's vanity plate

6 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Stop it

We saw something that has only been done once before. No need for any amount of shade or hate on this one.

Dont be that guy

Did y’all know that Kirk Cousins broke all of Sonny Jurgensen’s Redskins passing records?!?!?!

#thatguy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The Houston Rockets will win the 2019 NBA Championship.

I have spoken!

This needs to happen, for the good of the league.  Either them or Toronto or Milwaukee.  Really, anyone but Golden State.

I think everyone, from fans to players to team presidents, needs to be reminded that the NBA is still a legitimate competition.  We need a trust buster.

And then after the Warriors' run ends and they get broken up, we need CBA reforms that ensure that another Golden State can't happen again.  I want to see an end to max contracts and the installation of a hard cap.  I do not want to see Anthony Davis taking his talents to Milwaukee or anything of that sort.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The NBA is and always has been dominated by dynasties.

It seems like every year, we are getting better and better athletes and a growing number of elite players in the league. With modern analytics also making niche role players really valuable, I am no longer buying that the NBA will always be dominated by dynasties.

The current problem is pretty much one of how teams are allowed to be constructed. A soft cap is absolutely terrible for the competitiveness of the league.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The current problem is pretty much one of how teams are allowed to be constructed. A soft cap is absolutely terrible for the competitiveness of the league.

It is, the NBA marketplace is so artificially constrained.  Max contracts are terrible.  Exceptions are terrible.  Players are locked into this world where the majority of them are either an exception or a max deal, and in both cases, they can end up earning much less than they would in a football style hard capped free market.

But another issue is that the NBA is pretty damn terrible at developing its young talent.  There is a really long gestation period for a young player in the NBA, where the development curve is far steeper than it is for the NFL and MLB.  And yet the NBA is the league with no legit minor league system nor forced NCAA development through lengthy age restrictions.  You get 60 young players coming into the league every year, almost all of whom are absolutely unready to contribute to a winning rotation.  And almost no team is capable of carrying more than two or three guys on rookie contracts without torpedoing their depth and ability to compete.  So, draft picks lose almost all of their value immediately after they get spent on a player, and you end up with a situation where decent developmental talent is routinely traded for salary dumps long before it actually has a chance to mature, and the lack of stability stunts the growth of said player.  The lucky ones end up in the journeyman pool.  The rest of them end up in China or Europe or out of basketball altogether.  It is a tremendous waste that is awful for competition because it destabilizes second and third rate franchises with zero free agent draw by making it extremely unlikely for them to lift themselves up via drafting.

The growth of the G League is a promising development, but the NBA needs a much more formal and substantial minor league system than what's in place now.  And it needs a prospect contract system similar to baseball where teams can retain control over draft picks for longer, and thus aren't forced to salary dump them in their early 20's.  Something like both first and second round draft picks ensure four years of team control to begin upon the player making an NBA roster for long enough to qualify for a year of veterancy.  Three quarters of a season, or something like that.  That way you could actually take your time with them in the minor league before calling them up and starting your team control.

I think this would help with the tanking problem too.  It wouldn't be as necessary to tank for a top three pick if you didn't need a damn transcendent talent to have  a chance at him seeing a second contract and lifting your team up enough to get to the playoffs before the firings start.

So in short, getting rid of max contracts, instituting a hard cap, adopting a true minor league system, and extending team control on young players would make the league so much better.  The owners are going to have to be willing to spend money to formalize and improve the G-League and pay out much larger minor league payrolls in order to compete with European and Chinese leagues.  But they're already wasting so much money on busts, and I bet you can get the money for a minor league by pooling existing revenues and modernizing the broadcasting revenues.  It's the kind of investment that pays off down the road by strengthening the league.

I think people can deal with repeat champions, even three peat champions, but the last four seasons have seen the same two teams in the title game each time.  In the last 30 years the only rematches that have taken place in consecutive years happened once.  Never four times in a row.  The real danger of players all forming their own super teams is this.  Not that one team might win three in a row, but that only two teams will have any chance at all and make the entire NBA season a pointless endeavor. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The only caveat is that I truly believe teams that draft well shouldn't be punished when their own picks become stars (and demand star level contracts).  

If they draft well, then they can continuously replenish talent.

If you strengthen the player development system with a legit minor league, you'll also strengthen the free agency pools by increasing the supply of talent.  It'll make contracts more egalitarian.  You won't need to pay one of your guys 8 to 10 times more than others if the market wasn't so constipated.  Only the very best players would be likely to make 1/3rd of the cap or more.

What about two minor leagues: one for the Western Conference, one for the Eastern Conference.  Team affiliates for everyone and in the same market, or very nearby.  Combine it with the function of the Summer League and run two seasons a year--a winter and summer season.  End the Summer season in the dead sports period of June/July with something like an intra-league March Madness style tourney.  Give it stakes with something like awarding compensatory draft picks at the end of the first round for champions.  Create a trophy for it that people actually want to win.

Use the end of the winter season as a call up period for the NBA's dog days of January and February, where NBA teams can expand their rosters to add like five guys from their G League teams until the G League starts back up in March.

5 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If Milwaukee can somehow Super Saiyan Giannis  past the first two rounds, they may get several players back and be able to make a second push towards the Finals. Cuz that's probably what it's gonna take.

Malcolm Brogdon was in the middle of the famed 50/40/90 season

i knew he was good, but I didn't know it was like that

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Malcolm Brogdon was in the middle of the famed 50/40/90 season

i knew he was good, but I didn't know it was like that

Yeah, he was really good.

If Milwaukee makes it to late May, hopefully he can be to the Bucks the opposite of what Jameer Nelson was for the Magic, when he came in and replaced Skip a decade ago, and it killed their momentum a bit in the Finals.

The most interesting thing for me now is the potential passing of the torch.  It's all set up for Giannis to have a cataclysmic playoffs.  He just has to be healthy to do it.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

For an athlete I bet it matters a lot. For me, getting my vision corrected changed everything. But it doesn't really mean he'll get even historically better. In fact it may be the same or slightly worse, if he relied on things besides vision, having a more natural feel for things on the court.

For me it's simply about what he was able to do before this.

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

You might see blurry double lines occasionally or lens flare might be real life to you.

I didn't know that these were not normal things that people see.  I didn't know what the symptoms of astigmatism were.  Interesting to think about how this might have shaped my aesthetic sensibility.

Giannis vs Embiid is good basketball.  Battle of the highly skilled giants.  

Ben Simmons is getting bullied by Giannis, but Embiid is showing his size and power.  Giannis has tried to power through him a few times tonight and run into a brick wall instead.