Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I'm with you on this.  They have concerns that are not normal.  I enjoy watching Embiid, but late in games I swear his legs start to wobble.  Freaks me out.     

He has poor biomechanics and poor balance.  Derrick Rose had the same issue and he wasn't 7'2.  I hate to say it, but I don't think he's going to have a long career.

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

they do, his conditioning isnt there yet and he needs to learn how to land properly.

I'm not sure you can replace a lifetime of fundamental kinesthetic habit that governs the way you run and jump.

59 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He has poor biomechanics and poor balance.  Derrick Rose had the same issue and he wasn't 7'2.  I hate to say it, but I don't think he's going to have a long career.

Derek Rose had the very bad habit of landing on one leg and not falling to the ground.  Basketball players fall constantly precisely because of the injury risk of trying to stick off balance landings.  His game was also centered around running full speed in one direct stopping on a dime and jumping in another direction.  It's like the man hated his knees and wanted to destroy them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not sure you can replace a lifetime of fundamental kinesthetic habit that governs the way you run and jump.

THe key isnt to reteach movement, its strengthening the areas that are causing problems.

The Warriors did this with Curry. The Suns used to do this with that old gang they had in the late aughts/early teens.

AC Milan's lab was all about this in the aughts.

You don't re-teach, you strengthen. Its biometrics.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Just out of curiosity, Shaq used to brag about learning how to fall from doing action scenes in one of the movies his did (think it was Steel).  Is that in anyway similar to what you're talking about?

59 minutes ago, Destino said:

Derek Rose had the very bad habit of landing on one leg and not falling to the ground.  Basketball players fall constantly precisely because of the injury risk of trying to stick off balance landings.  His game was also centered around running full speed in one direct stopping on a dime and jumping in another direction.  It's like the man hated his knees and wanted to destroy them.

Embiid moves like Derrick Rose did.  Which is remarkable.  But also alarming.  Because he's also awkward like Rose was.  This video does a pretty good job of breaking down his injury history and the issues with his biomechanics:

Compare it to this depressing video:

The misplaced hopefulness at the end is what gets me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That Rose video is intriguing, but it's also pretty easy to cherry pick 6 minutes of highlights from a guy who shot the ball 30 times a game for years. What would be interesting is like 50 side by side comparisons of similar plays between him, Lebron, Westbrook, and few others.

It does give one a respect for the old man game that Pierce played and that Wade adopted in his later years.

Discussion point: Lebron hasn't had to break out his old man game yet, but you know it's in there lying dormant. He's going to play until he's 50, isn't he? I fully expect him to add 20 pounds to his butt when he is 38 or 39 and suddenly play like a taller Charles Barkley for 5 or 6 years.

Yeah if LeBron doesn't get any serious injuries, I could see him being a 2nd/3rd wheel low post PF  for a team in 5 or 6 years. May not make it though. He may be an athletic marvel unlike anyone we've ever seen (people say Brady, but he moved like a drunk sloth years ago, and is a pocket passer anyway), but he's still human (I think).

The Grim Reaper comes for us all in the end...

Edited by Mr. Sinister

LeBron will play at a high level until he's 40.  I think he'll outlast the Golden State dynasty and play at a high level after Curry and Durant both fade.  He's got fantastic biomechanics and a ton of lean musculature (especially in his legs, unlike top heavy players like Durant/Davis/Embiid, etc.) to absorb shock on jumps and contacts without also carrying a bunch of sloppy weight around when he's walking/running.  His cardio endurance is legendary.  I remember reading a story from his early Miami days that mentioned he'd run/bike to American Airlines Arena before games.  I would argue that he has the best legs in the history of the league.

He's also tall and has long arms so he doesn't have to jump as high (and fall as far to land) when he plays above the rim.

He basically has the same feet as Russell Westbrook.  He shuffles them quickly on landing whenever he's flying for power dunks and big blocks to diffuse his momentum.  Most big guys don't have the foot quickness to do it.

Another thing is he's so powerful that guys don't foul him hard when he takes it to the rim because they know they're going to get the worst of the collision and they're scared.

He's like Karl Malone except he doesn't also have to bang in the post like Malone did.  All of this is why he can play crazy minutes without ever getting hurt.

So long as LeBron can avoid freak collisions like a knee to knee or useless human extrusions like Zaza Pachulia and Patrick Beverly and Gerald Wallace diving into his legs, he'll be fine.  And honestly, he's got such a paranormal awareness of what's going on around him that I believe he'd spider-sense the danger coming from a clumsy, out of control player in his vicinity and avoid it.  LeBron is immortal and his foot will always be placed firmly on the windpipe of our dreams.

• Like 1

Am I the only one waiting for McQueen to start preaching about eugenics at this point? You're about two steps away from a Jimmy the Greek moment, dude. Just take a deep breath. It will be okay.

(Though you're probably right about everything).

My beloved Rockets have a very real chance of going something like 8-1 in the first two rounds of the playoffs facing the likes of the Jazz and Thunder while the hated Warriors might have to play 6 or 7 games to long series with the Spurs and Blazers.

Are any of you prepared for how truly insufferable I will be if Harden wins the MVP and a title in next two and a half months? You will all have to leave the board and maybe stop watching the NBA.

• Like 1

Nah, it would be totally worth it to see you cry like a baby with tears of joy.

Then I'll finally know you're real, and not some AI fusion of Tars (Interstellar) and Marvin (Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy), set to "Destroy all humans with cynical one liners"

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Also, life...loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I just want there to be no injuries m, so we can get an epic WCF, and potentially very good 2nd round as well.

It seems apparent that yet again, the East may crumble before LeBron. Lost cause

I don't completely understand what he is doing the last month. It's like he's decided that 15 years into his career and on the worst team he's been on in over a decade....now is the time to really let all his talents loose.

Like, has he just been messing around for the last decade and a half and finally decided that it's time to take basketball seriously?

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Also, life...loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.

I don't completely understand what he is doing the last month. It's like he's decided that 15 years into his career and on the worst team he's been on in over a decade....now is the time to really let all his talents loose.

Like, has he just been messing around for the last decade and a half and finally decided that it's time to take basketball seriously?

Seeing his head nearly smash into the glass on a dunk at the AS game really got my attention. Now this (the game the other night). I was thoroughly convinced someone was gonna take them down. Then they go and beat Toronto. A game they Should've been smashed to pieces.

Games like that can win or lose a series long before the playoffs even start.

Here is a fun game that McQueen will write a 16 paragraph response to.

In my lifetime,

Most physically dominant player - Shaq

Most mentally dominant player - Jordan

Most athletically dominant player - Lebron

Lebron might be second on the physically dominant list and Jordan might me second on the athletically dominant list, but I think this is fun.

Top five physical: Shaq, Lebron, Howard, Garnett, Kidd?

Top five mental: Jordan, Bird, Magic, Duncan, Kobe

Most athletic, Lebron, Jordan, Hakeem, Kareem (even old man Kareem had unreal feet for a 7 footer), Westbrook (controversial but he is an alien)

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Seeing his head nearly smash into the glass on a dunk at the AS game really got my attention. Now this (the game the other night). I was thoroughly convinced someone was gonna take them down. Then they go and beat Toronto. A game they Should've been smashed to pieces.

Games like that can win or lose a series long before the playoffs even start.

It's weird that he is suddenly jumper higher than ever while also making passes that no human being has ever made. That weird no-look pass against the Lakers was like a magic trick. I'm still not convinced he didn't throw the pass to Love for the clinching three with his butt cheeks.