Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I should have clarified--the 1960-1961 Warriors. They got swept by the lower seeded Syracuse Nationals in the first round. They were favored in that series and Wilt just shut down.

Wilt's teams were favored in '65-'66, '66-'67, '67-'68, and '68-'69 and only won in '66-'67. In '67-'68 and '68-'69 they were heavily favored, Russell was on his last legs, and those are famous choke jobs.

That makes sense.  I thought you were talking about vs. Russell only so I went looking for the years he played the Celtics.  Should have checked '60-61.

I don't want to get into this too much really, but it doesn't look like Wilt did so badly at least in the '61 playoffs.  He averaged 37 points and 23 rebounds- slightly below his season averages with a slightly worse shooting percentage.

The second leading scorer on the teams shooting percentage fell significantly.  Just based on his numbers, I wouldn't say that Wilt shut down.

I generally don't like to talk about players that I didn't see, but I'm almost always ignore the championships person.

Sanders and Smith to me is Sanders all the way.  I had this argument with a brother of mine when they were both playing.  I never understood how he couldn't see that Sanders on the Cowboys would have killed it- if you gave Sanders those holes, he would have run forever.

I think Marino is the best QB I've ever seen play.  I don't know how he was as a leader, in the locker room, how well he responded to stress, or how much time he put in off the field to get better, and I don't know those things for any of the greats.  But to me, Marino is the guy that could make all of the throws the best.

With respect to basketball, I've gotten to the point the difference between James and Jordan is so small it is indistinguishable.  Jordan is the best small scorer (non-center), and probably the best scorer period that I've seen, and in his prime, he was a great defensive player.  Maybe the best defensive SG I've ever seen.  But realistically, he never was asked to do as much as frequently as James, and I don't think he could have done it (and in my mind on a championship level team the only player that comes close is Hakeem where he had to essentially be the best half court offensive and defensive player on the floor, but without the ball handling/play making responsibilities, and Hakeem did not do it a high level for as long as James has).

I used to buy the Jordan was a better player because he was more competitive argument, but after the finals this year, I can't even see that.

(Though, honestly if I had to win a single game, and I could take a guy in his prime and he was going to take the game seriously, I'd probably still lean towards taking Shaq.)

Edited by PeterMP

A worthy jersey when talking about overrated.

God damn you sticks...I try to like you I swear...

So some of you think that Aikman was great ?

He was a great and top QB compared to most others in

the league during the time that he played but historically he doesn't sniff the all timers

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Big lineup

PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: LeBron
PF: Duncan
C: Kareem

Small ball

PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: LeBron
PF: Bird
C: Russell

Those are the two best teams I can think of. It's kind of a boring proposition because the top players at PG, SG,  PF, and C are so obvious and uncontroversial and there are only two names in play at SF.

Here is a more difficult challenge:

Make the best team you can out of two all timers and a collection of role players, including a sixth man.

Role player is defined:

1 - Can never have been one of the two best players on a 50 win team

2 - Only one of your Role Players can have made the HoF.

And if you really want to make it interesting, don't use either Jordan or Kareem as your All Timers.

EDIT: I changed rule #1 to a 50 win team instead of playoff team.  It's too damn hard to find guys who weren't, at some point in their careers, one of the two best players on some crap 40 win team that snuck into the postseason as a low seed.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Gonna need some criteria

We talking non two best players on a playoff team by general obviousness (like no Zo/Tim Hardaway) or like some Einstein level sabremetrical statistical breakdown?

General obviousness is the guideline.  BUT, you can also make a case that a guy wasn't one of the two best players on his team based on him having a combination of lower sabremetric stats like win shares.

Damn, I was gonna go with Olajuwon. Can't go with Kareem, soooooo

Mark Jackson

TracyMcGrady (not al All Timer, but not a role player type either)

Tayshaun Prince

Dirk Nowitzki

Vlade Divac

6th man: Robert Horry

Great length, decent balance of offense, defense and rebounding. Athletic wing in Prince who can defend multiple positions, good distributor in Jackson who can get the ball in the hands of Dirk and T Mac and let them do their thing

• Like 1

So some of you think that Aikman was great ? 

I actually agree with you. He could do it all.

Was he any better than Thurman Thomas? Another back that could do it all.

Magic, Bird and Bron on the same team - serious question, who's the best passer, that's not a clear cut question.  That would be artistry to watch.

They didn't call him Magic for nothing.