Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Curry (Magic was a greater all around player, the best point guard of all time, but Curry's shooting range would warp defenses beyond the breaking point, meaning you had to guard Jordan or LeBron one-on-one.  Good luck with that.  Besides, I would have LeBron running point-forward most of the time))

Jordan (duh)

LeBron (Point forward offense.  He's rolling to the hoop again - do you double?)

Tim Duncan (fundamentals and defense)

Kareem (hardest position to fill, but the best combination of offense and defense overall.  Prime Wilt, Hakeem or Shaq would work too).  

Edited by Predicto

/enddiscussion

One through four I would pick without any questions asked, you beat me to it. As far as center, I think you could plug in Shaq or Wilt in place of The Dream, though he fits perfectly too.

And same on offense, Triangle is a no brainer imo. If you want to trade a tad of offense for better defense with Magic, I think The Glove should get some consideration.

I was actually thinking of Gary Payton or Steve Nash as my PG first, but I must go with the Master of the Bunny Hop

• Like 1

I was actually thinking of Gary Payton or Steve Nash as my PG first, but I must go with the Master of the Bunny Hop

BOOOOOO!!!!

I have never liked Steve Nash with his BS game and flopping. He did make some pretty nice shots here and there...but NEVER would I have him as my starting PG on an all-time team, never...over Magic...haha, yeah right. 

Curry (Magic was a greater all around player, the best point guard of all time, but Curry's shooting range would warp defenses beyond the breaking point, meaning you had to guard Jordan or LeBron one-on-one.  Good luck with that.  Besides, I would have LeBron running point-forward most of the time))

Damn. Too soon sir, too soon. 

Magic was LeBron before LeBron. He would have disrupted Curry so much that he would be virtually useless. 

Would be interesting to see a run and shoot type offense with:

Lebron (PG)

Jordan

Glen Rice

Shawn Kemp

Ralph Sampson( before injuries)

Thats a lot of Advil and ice packs needed

BOOOOOO!!!!

I have never liked Steve Nash with his BS game and flopping. He did make some pretty nice shots here and there

Yeah, but in truth, with that lineup I could've put anyone there. Needed a more all around (both sides of the ball) PG though. Edited by Mr. Sinister

I love your hot takes, especially when they are completely wrong.

Russell's TEAMS beat Wilt's TEAMS because Russell's teams had better depth, coaching, and most of all, 12 straight years of roster continuity with 5 other hall of famers.

Head to head Wilt dominated Russell.    They played each other 142 times, and in those games, Wilt averaged 28 points and 28 rebounds.   Russell averaged [/size]14 points and 23 rebounds.   [/size]

You have always been wrong about Wilt and Russell, we rehash this debate every time. Russell almost always beat Wilt. Wilt putting up a bunch of points against him doesn't change that. Russell absolutely lived in his head. And when push came to shove, Russell got it done and Wilt usually shrank from the moment.

But one last thing, you know Wilt played on stacked teams full of HoFers too right?

I know you enjoy mellow iconoclasm, but your opinions on Russell are slanderous.

Damn. Too soon sir, too soon. 

Magic was LeBron before LeBron. He would have disrupted Curry so much that he would be virtually useless. 

Magic was not LeBron's equal on defense, not even close.   Magic was not nearly as quick as Lebron, and could not possibly have kept up with Curry's off the ball movement or quickness.   Magic never guarded the opposing point guard for precisely that reason.  

• Like 1

Magic was not LeBron's equal on defense, not even close.   Magic was not nearly as quick as Lebron, and could not possibly have kept up with Curry's off the ball movement or quickness.   Magic never guarded the opposing point guard for precisely that reason.  

Certainly not. I am thinking size and versatility. Surely you don't think Curry could play at the 5. 

And Russell was their best player and leader.

He was not the best player. The most utilized, but not the best. He was also not the leader. That team was led by their coach. 

You have always been wrong about Wilt and Russell, we rehash this debate every time. Russell almost always beat Wilt. Wilt putting up a bunch of points against him doesn't change that. Russell absolutely lived in his head. And when push came to shove, Russell got it done and Wilt usually shrank from the moment.

But one last thing, you know Wilt played on stacked teams full of HoFers too right?

I know you enjoy mellow iconoclasm, but your opinions on Russell are slanderous.

Romanticized Bill Simmons rubbish.   

And no, Wilt did not play on stacked teams full of HoFers.  That's more SImmons bull****.   Most of the time his supporting cast was clearly inferior to Russell's and what's just as important, Russell's supporting cast rarely ever changed.  Russell always played with 3-4 other hall of famers, every single year, and they knew each other like the back of their hands, and they had Red Auerbach coaching them.     

"Russell's teammates alone were worth approximately 11 more wins than Chamberlain's per regular season... And in the playoffs since 1957, teams with 10-12 more regular-season wins than their opponent won 71 of 85 series (83.5%). So should it have been any surprise that Russell and the C's were coming out ahead of Chamberlain's Warriors & Sixers?"

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=4229

And Russell was their best player and leader.

Yes, he was.   Doesn't make him the best player, just the top player on the best team.

This man said Ralph Sampson...of all players ? Come on man. 

I would have taken Zo all day, every day over Sampson. Especially with that offense. 

I mentioned those same Celtics as the first ever true "Super team" and everyone got mad at me. :(

I think it was only LeBron haters that said that. 

• Like 1

He was not the best player. The most utilized, but not the best. He was also not the leader. That team was led by their coach.

Setting aside that Russell actually coached the Celtics to two of their championships, players absolutely lead their teams. You will not find a single NBA coach who would disagree with that. Good leadership from within the roster is absolutely essential to a functional and successful team.

Since you don't think Russell was the best player on his teams, who was? This I want to hear.

Romanticized Bill Simmons rubbish.   

And no, Wilt did not play on stacked teams full of HoFers.  That's more SImmons bull****.   Most of the time his supporting cast was clearly inferior to Russell's and what's just as important, Russell's supporting cast rarely ever changed.  Russell always played with 3-4 other hall of famers, every single year, and they knew each other like the back of their hands, and they had Red Auerbach coaching them.     

"Russell's teammates alone were worth approximately 11 more wins than Chamberlain's per regular season... And in the playoffs since 1957, teams with 10-12 more regular-season wins than their opponent won 71 of 85 series (83.5%). So should it have been any surprise that Russell and the C's were coming out ahead of Chamberlain's Warriors & Sixers?"

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=4229

I wonder if you've actually read Bill Simmons's book. I suspect that you've never bothered to learn the context of all those playoff disappointments of Wilt's. You know that Wilt's teams were favored in several of the series he lost? Specifically 1961, 1966, 1968, and 1969. And yes Wilt did play on teams loaded with HoFers: Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham, Chet Walker, Nate Thurmond, Guy Rodgers, Tom Gola all HoFers. But he was an underachiever whose individual dominance didn't translate into team success for the entire first half of his career. And you want to complain about the lack of stability on Wilt's teams without acknowledging the role he played in destabilizing them? Or the role that Russell played as being the glue holding his dynasty together? Wilt was a selfish headcase who undermined his coaches and frequently alienated his teammates.

This is dumb. There was absolutely no doubt that Russell was the greater player when the two of them retired. None. It was totally uncontroversial. All of this inaccurate revisionism about them has only come about a generation after people observed their careers play out first hand. It's based on Wilt's counting stat averages and his size and the scoring skills he possessed and it's completely ignorant of the truth that Wilt was an inferior competitor and a headcase and Russell owned him.

You know that Wilt's teams were favored in several of the series he lost? Specifically 1961, 1966, 1968, and 1969.

Out of curiosity, where you are pulling NBA playoff odds from the 1960s from?

Just looking at 1961, that a team that won 49 games would have been favored over the defending champions whom won 60 games just does not seem believable to me.

**EDIT**

Even worse, the Celtics had a bye before playing Wilt's Warriors, and the Warriors won the series to get them to play the Celtics 3-2.

They'd just played 5 games of playoff basketball, were going up against a rested defending champion that won more games, and they were favored to win?

This is dumb. There was absolutely no doubt that Russell was the greater player when the two of them retired. None. It was totally uncontroversial.

I'm also dubious of this.

Russell is 1st team C in in '58-59.  Next year, '59-60 is Chamberlain's first year in the league and he supplants Russell and Russell goes to 2nd team.

Then through '67-68 Chamberlain and Russell are both 1st or 2nd team all NBA C with Chamberlain being 1st team 6 times and Russell being first team 2 (and so Chamberlain being 2nd team twice and and Russell being 2nd team 6 times).

I seriously doubt the guy that was voted 1st team all NBA C more times in his career, many of the being a head-to-head competition was uncontroversially considered to be not as good as the guy he was beating to win those selections when they retired.

I seriously doubt the people that were voting for Chamberlain over Russell, upon their retirements decided they were wrong about for voting for Chamberlain over Russell all those years.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 4

I mentioned those same Celtics as the first ever true "Super team" and everyone got mad at me. :(

Yep, Russell's accomplishments are tainted and he will never be considered an all time great because he played on a super team, in an extremely small team league mind you. He wasn't an alpha male. He never wanted to do it on his own.

It was so disappointing that he just stayed on the same stacked team and took the easy way to championships instead of moving to a different team and starting his own legacy

Bill Russell is the most overrated athlete in the history of professional sports.

I can agree with this

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2