Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

RT @WojYahooNBA U.S. trailing Turkey 40-35 at half. Turkey coach Ergin Ataman delivering a clinic. Also, they didn't let USA's coach bring ACC officials.

There is no reason the USA should even lose a game in basketball especially when they are leaps and bounds better than the other team. The USA team under Coach K has pretty much been Dream Team 2.0 and 3.0 :laugh:

So, i had nothing to do for the past hour or so and decided to watch this for no reason whatsover. Here are my thougts:

* USA has no point guard who actually looks to pass the ball. Terrible decision from Coach K to bring only 2 pg's. 1 who is a glorified SG and the other who is coming off 2 years of not playing due to severe injury.

* There are times that 3 or more players on the court have zero defensive ability. Harden+Iving+Curry..... Come on.

* Rudy Gay looks terrible out there. Only person who looks as bad as him is Rose. They couldnt have brought someone else? You cant tell me that after Lebron, Durant, and George the next best is Rudy Gay.

* I like Rose as a guy. But he looks bad out there. ( as a point guard).

On a side note: i am happy that wall and beal are not on the team, as i would rather them rest and work on their own game rather than play with a bunch of ballhogs and jumpshooters that play no defense. We already have Nene risking it all out there. Cant accidently lose Wall or Beal. Though im just being selfish.

Davis is coming up big for us. Faried was a monster too. We lose yesterday if not for Faried. And Klay Thompson was awesome the game before.

Bad shooting and fundamentally unsound D hasn't killed us yet, but it almost led to a loss yesterday. We're getting turnovers galore. But it's just way too easy for the other teams on the perimeter and they're getting free lanes to tee off on our bigs and get us fouling.

The bad defense was predictable. I think Coach K stopped caring about defensive basketball years ago. But the bad shooting is a bit of a surprise. Cutting Lillard in favor of keeping Rose looks bad. I agree that Coach K and Colangelo ****ed the dog at the PG position. That was the most talented position group at the beginning of camp and now they're in Spain and running out of options?

We beat Finland with only Klay Thompson shooting well because Finland only had one player that might be able to make an NBA team and they got eaten alive on the glass and turned the ball over a million times. They had to play us man to man and couldn't keep up in transition at all. Turkey was a lot better and actually punked us on the glass for a while, which was a major issue for us. We have to be able to run fast breaks, we don't have anything close to a coherent half court offense with go to sets and plays. It was all Davis and Faried making stuff happen for themselves, mostly with hustle points.

This is not a great Team USA squad by the standards of what we've put out there the past 8 years. If France's team from last year was there this year, I think they beat us. I don't think Spain or Brazil will beat us, but they certainly could.

I have no idea why this thought popped into my head.

I sometimes read a Beach Boys message board, because I am that big a nerd. And the mythology of the group is completely fascinating.

In Beach Boys fandom, the most beloved member of the group may be Dennis Wilson. He is the troubled drummer who died by drowning. He is basically the angel of the group. (Which is weird, because he was a junkie alcoholic who was married 60 times and let the Manson family take over his house).

Mike Love is the devil. Even people who admire his talent as a songwriter or frontman think he is the biggest ass who ever lived. (Which is weird because he is a tea-totaling workaholic who basically kept the group alive in the 70s while the Wilson brothers were battling any number of personal demons).

One of the many many reasons Mike Love is hated is because he was very mean to Dennis Wilson. (Dennis was mean back at times and actually physically attacked Mike Love on stage once but that is largely forgiven because who wouldn't want to attack Mike Love).

One of the legends of the Beach Boys is that Mike Love had finally had enough of Dennis' drug use and nonsense (which included giving cocaine to the mentally ill, drug-addicted Brian Wilson) and sent his brother and brother's friend to "straighten Dennis out." Mike Love's brother is a 6'9'' monster named Stan Love who spent some time in the NBA. His friend was a former college football player named Rocky. Stan and Rocky broke into Dennis' house during a drug-fueled party and beat the hell out of Dennis, breaking his palette, I believe. Shortly after this beating, Dennis drowned.

This all popped into my head as I was thinking of Stan Love's son - Kevin Love.

Maybe one of the reasons that Kevin Love has never made the playoffs is he is a surly dude who came from arguably the most dysfunctional family in recorded history. (Did I mention that the Loves and Wilsons are cousins who grew up on the same street?) I'm a Kevin Love fan, but this year will be the test of what kind of teammate he is.

• Like 2

This FIBA stuff is boring.

And Robert Caro could write a 4 volume history of the Wilson/Love families and I would read every word of it. Seriously, Carnie Wilson is maybe only the 15th most interesting person in these families. And she is a world famous train wreck of a human being.

It really dawned on me that I don't know THAT much about Kevin Love's childhood aside from the sportswritery stuff like the Bill Walton game tapes and such. But the guy is the nephew of the second biggest, money grubbing prick in rock music history (behind Gene Simmons) and his father openly bragged about breaking the face of his rock star junkie cousin (seriously, read the articles about his arrest and conviction for the fight). And apparently the Love brothers were as vicious towards each other as they were towards the Wilsons (who generally seemed too stoned to really be violent).

It's really amazing when you stop to think about it. Kevin Love may only be the sixth or seventh most famous person....in his own freaking family.

1. Brian Wilson. Absolute musical genius. Basically lived in a catatonic drug haze in the 70s. Had a father who made the Great Santini look like Fred Rogers. Is so famous that he opens concerts with a song called "Brian Wilson" that was a hit for a band that he has nothing to do with.

2. Mike Love. Might very well be worth half a billion dollars considering how he grabbed control of every piece of the Beach Boys machine in the early 70s and monetized the ever-loving **** out of it. Will tell everyone that he has written a #1 hit without Brian Wilson while Brian Wilson never wrote a #1 hit without him. Literally tells how he came up with the idea of "Back in the USSR" in every single interview he has ever given over 40 years. Is a non-drinking, non-drugging, Buddhist pacifist who probably beat up all 17 of his wives. Invented the fashion of wearing Navy baseball caps because he is ****ing miserable about being bald.

3. Carnie Wilson. Fattest member of the biggest-selling pop act of the late 80s/early 90s. Hosted her own talk show. Spent the last 20 years famous for being fat, then skinny, then fat again. Posed in Playboy - something I saw for reasons I cannot fully explain. (By the way "interesting" and "famous" do not equate. I do not care about Carnie. I would watch a ten part mini-series on Dennis.

4. Dennis Wilson. Only surfer in band. Legitimate crazy person. Had the Manson Family live at his house and rewrote a song by Charles Manson that he later released. May actually be somewhat responsible for Sharon Tate's death. (Dennis introduced Manson to Terry Melcher who owned the house that Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate were renting when the Manson Family murdered her). Somehow managed to write "You Are So Beautiful To Me" while drunk with Billy Preston at a party. Drowned trying to find stuff he threw off his yacht while drunk some other time.

5. Carl Wilson. Not Brian Wilson, but a better singer. Probably not really that famous, but the dude sang "God Only Knows" and "Good Vibrations" and the only non-objectionable part of "Kokomo." So, go to hell. You go to hell and you die.

6. Kevin Love. Lebron's new teammate.

7. Murry Wilson. Father of the three Wilson brothers, and a man who makes Marv Marinovich seem reasonable. Beat Brian Wilson so badly that he permanently lost hearing in his right ear. Sued by his kids for screwing them over in business one two many times.

8. Stan Love - an NBA #1 pick with a four year professional career. Perhaps more famous for beating up people on behalf of Mike Love. Is more or less responsible for getting Eugene Landy out of Brian Wilson's life at last.

9. Wendy Wilson. Imagine being a gorgeous singer who sold tens of millions of albums....and barely cracking your family's top ten fame list.

10. The Other Love Brother. He beat up Dennis Wilson occasionally too and may have been sued by Mike Love at some point, but I can't remember. Everyone has been sued by Mike Love at some point so it seems like a good guess.

How did I not know any of this.

mind=blown

Kx0iXYP.gif

Keep in mind that I've been banned from this board at least 4 times. Imagine what you would be missing if any of those bans stuck.

I saw the Beach Boys on their 50th anniversary reunion a few summers back. As someone on a messge board wrote, only The Beach Boys could conclude a heartwarming successful reunion and tour of arguably the single most important American rock band with the promise of pending litigation, because Mike Love and Brian Wilson immediately started suing each other the second it ended. This is how fascinating that band is: The fifth most important member is Al Jardine. Jardine plays guitar and is the lead vocal on Help Me, Rhonda. And Al is known for being the guy who got sued by Mike Love the one time that everyone on Earth absolutely agreed that Mike Love was in the right for suing someone because he toured as "The Beach Boys and Friends" when 1) he was the only Beach Boy and 2) had absolutely no logical claim on Earth to that name. I believe he left the tour and immediately began touring as "The Beach Boys and Friends" which caused Mike Love to immediately sue him....again.

The concert was pretty amazing actually. Mike Love is a hell of a frontman and I actually liked the songs he and Brian wrote together on the new album they recorded before the tour.

By the way, the 6th member of the group is Bruce Johnson who joined the band in 1965, making him the new guy. He is famous for replacing Glen Campbell on guitar because Glen Campbell had to leave the group to become Glen Campbell. The first notes he ever sang with the band was on California Girls, which seems like a pretty good first day at the office. They let him sing his kind of okay, but really creepy song "Disney Girls" song in every concert. He apparently wrote the song when he was 14, and it would be fine coming from a 14 year old. It's really bizarre hearing a 70 year old sing it. At some point in the 1970s, he apparently took a dare to write the worst song in human history because this guy - the sixth member of the Beach Boys and the one literally no one except fanatics knows exist because he never sang lead on any important song - sat down and wrote goddamn "I Write the Songs."

Yes, he wrote "I Write the Songs," Barry Manilow's massive, awful hit. A song written from the point of view of God that is sung in the first person. Somehow, this dude is the least interesting person in the entire Beach Boys extended crazy family.

Did I mention that Glen Campbell played bass on all the early tunes and sang Brian Wilson's parts in concert when Brian didn't want to tour? I feel like I should mention that.

Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever. That is the least controversial opinion I've ever uttered.

How many questions do you now have for Kevin Love that you did not have before?

And did the US play last night? Did we win?

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

. Mike Love is a hell of a frontman 

I agreed with everything until this.  

I love the Beach Boys' music, but nothing is duller than watching Mike Love do his patented "lean slightly forward, lean slightly back, take one step forward, hold up one finger, point at crowd, turn around, shuffle back two steps and repeat" lead vocalist thing.   Horrible.

Edited by Predicto

I agreed with everything until this.  

I love the Beach Boys' music, but nothing is duller than watching Mike Love do his patented "lean slightly forward, lean slightly back, take one step forward, hold up one finger, point at crowd, turn around, shuffle back two steps and repeat" lead vocalist thing.   Horrible.

He's not Mick Jagger. But I've been pretty harsh to him and wanted to say something nice.

I was at a black tie benefit in 2007 and the special musical guest was Brian Wilson. He sort of shuffled out to the stage, sat the piano, and did not move or (seemingly touch the piano) for the next 90 minutes. Every now and then, he try a little banter, but mostly he stared straight ahead and sang his parts of the songs. This meant we were primarily watching a seemingly otherwise catatonic man sing harmony for 90 minutes. Still, it sounded kind of amazing.

Compared to that, Mike Love is James Brown.

Anyone dying for the season to start yet?

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother