Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

He is small and a bad defender. 

he'll always need a strong rim protector on his team. He can't change the size thing, so his best bet is to have active hands for playing passing lanes. his offensive potential is worth the lack of defense IMO.  Boston went along way covering up IT

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Definitely giving off that "Perennial All Star-Superstar/Team Won't Win ****" vibe.

thats more a Devin Booker IMO. I think a team can win with Trae because of his playmaking abilities. It will be interesting to see how ATL goes about building around him.

on a different note, Andrew Wiggins is actually good now?

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

The best part about all of this is the Knicks continue to flounder in purgatory. Missing out on sooo many prospects. Gonna dump your best player some old bubble gum and paper clips.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

I'll reserve judgment until the AS break. I'm not yet a believer

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

he'll always need a strong rim protector on his team. He can't change the size thing, so his best bet is to have active hands for playing passing lanes. his offensive potential is worth the lack of defense IMO.  Boston went along way covering up IT

He's not that small.  All you really need from guards to have a fairly decent team defense is for them to have enough lateral mobility to stay in front of their assignment and not to get hung up on screens.  Well that and a coach that doesn't continue to switch everything when it's clear the opposing team is trying to choose their defender before going into an iso play (looking at you Steve Kerr).  

There aren't a lot of great two way point guards in the league right now anyway.  Chris Paul was the last great offensive point guard to make a lot of NBA defensive teams.  Lillard, Curry, Westbrook, Irving... none of them are stoppers. 

30 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Can we just immediately start doing his retirement tour.  Don't even ask him, just start hitting him with gifts and intro videos around the league.  He'll get the message. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I've said this before.  Wiggins biggest issue has been how they were using him.  He was being asked too much to be an isolation scorer and as a ball handler in the PNR.  What they are doing with their offense is a much better fit what he does well now.

Though, I'm still not sure he's worth his contract, but he's been a good off ball scorer for a while (as a catch and shoot 3 point shooter and as a slasher, playing with pace and more ball movement plays to his strengths).

Edited by PeterMP

31 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Why?

Never really liked him.  Glorified scorer that couldn't do much else and from what I can recall he wasn't a really efficient scorer, either.  I think he came into the NBA at an interesting time along with LeBron and that raised his profile a little bit.  Never was good enough to get a team to the next level, was never good enough to join a superteam and get a ring that way either.  Not a good defender.  Not a particularly good rebounder.  Not good enough for his buddy LeBron to reach out to him and join the Lakers while he's in the twilight of his career.  Never lead the league in anything except scoring once.  In a day and age where scoring efficiently is valued more than just straight up scoring, he doesn't work.  

And so when he got old, he just stopped being good, he lost a step and pretty much lost all effectiveness.  Look at a guy like LeBron...even when LeBron loses a step (he already has a little), he'll still be effective because he can do everything well.  He can still pass and he'll always be one of the smartest players in the league, he is a floor general.  Steph Curry will lose a step of quickness but he'll always be able to shoot.  So if by all accounts he's lost what's made him great...why would a team reach out to him while he's been out of the league for over a year?  Maybe they try to catch lightning in a bottle and he can recapture some of what made him great but that's hope, not a plan.  And if he can't score as well as he used to, what's he really bringing to the table?  He's not going to be a lockdown defender.  He's certainly not a distributor or a tenacious rebounder.  Is he revered as a leader, good lockerroom guy?  Even then, you've already got those guys on the team.

Granted, he did waste a good chunk of his career as a Knick.  But he played in an era where the superteams were all the rage, you had the Celtics with Pierce, Ray Allen and Garnett, then LeBron, Wade and Bosh with the Heat...I always found it telling that none of them tried to rope Carmelo in.  Or he couldn't attract anyone to NYC to join him.

This all said, I get why people like him because people like scorers.  By PPG, he's the 21st best scorer of all time.  He made a bunch of all star games.  Won Gold medals.  I just never really got the hype with him.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

I disagree with alot of that. Melo was an elite offensive player and carried denver to the western conference finals.

Biggest thing with his game is that the league changed rapidly and his elite mid range game suddenly became less important.

I'm not saying he's top 50 all time, but i'm rooting for him to have a few good moments to go out on a good note.