Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 hour ago, Destino said:

They won their last title with a past his prime legendary point guard playing with a superstar euro.  Now they got two superstar euros. 

Edit: Speaking of Euros are we at the point where an all euro team could win an nba title?  Even thinking that would have been crazy not too many years ago.  I don’t think there are enough guards to put together a full roster yet, but a great all euro front court would be easy.  

If we're talking the best euros at each position, versus say the best team in the league, then sure.  

You can make a 12 man championship roster out of that: 

PG - Satoransky, Schroeder, Dragic, Rubio

SG - Doncic, Fournier, Batum

SF - Giannis, Bogdanovic, Gallinari

PF - Markkanen, Porzingis, Sabonis, Ibaka

C- Jokic, Capela, Gobert, Vucevic

Edited by justice98

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If we're talking the best euros at each position, versus say the best team in the league, then sure.  

You can make a 12 man championship roster out of that: 

PG - Satoransky, Schroeder, Dragic, Rubio

SG - Doncic, Fournier, Batum

SF - Giannis, Bogdanovic, Gallinari

PF - Markkanen, Porzingis, Sabonis, Ibaka

C- Jokic, Capela, Gobert, Vucevic

That unit is a buzzsaw.

10 hours ago, Destino said:

They won their last title with a past his prime legendary point guard playing with a superstar euro.  Now they got two superstar euros. 

Edit: Speaking of Euros are we at the point where an all euro team could win an nba title?  Even thinking that would have been crazy not too many years ago.  I don’t think there are enough guards to put together a full roster yet, but a great all euro front court would be easy.  

We were at that point at least 8 years ago if not before: Parker, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Dirk, Gallinari, Batum, Diaw, Bargnani, Belinelli, and more.

28 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

a ton of money for a guy who is terrified of a jumpshot

They don't really have a choice.  If they don't max him and he walks, they aren't going to be under the cap (enough) to sign anybody that is even remotely similar.

He's young, and he's been healthy.  As long as nothing unusual happens, this should be a reasonable contract for the life of the contract.

Ability/talent and salary are not linearly related.

(And I'm somebody that posted they should consider trading him at the beginning of last season, but at this time, this is the smart move.)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

He's young, and he's been healthy.  As long as nothing unusual happens, this should be a reasonable contract for the life of the contract.

Unusual like he learns how to shoot?  If this is "reasonable" then the NBA salary situation is broken.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Unusual like he learns how to shoot?  If this is "reasonable" then the NBA salary situation is broken.

he's capable of doing everything else at an exceptional level. one of the very few players in the NBA who can play good defense on all 5 positions

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So pay him like hes LeBron or Kawhi?

There is no area of sports where (and in many other fields) where talent/ability scales linearly with salary.

(But in terms of Lebron, given the way that Lebron played defense last year and his health/age, yes.

Based on last year, if at this point in time, Simmons isn't as valuable as Lebron it is darn close.)

13 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

There is no area of sports where (and in many other fields) where talent/ability scales linearly with salary.

(But in terms of Lebron, given the way that Lebron played defense last year and his health/age, yes.

Based on last year, if at this point in time, Simmons isn't as valuable as Lebron it is darn close.)

That's a bold statement.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

That's a bold statement.

I'm torn on Lebron. 

Either Lebron was mentally and physically worn out and psychologically knew he was on a team that couldn't really compete at an NBA championship level and so checked out last year.

Or he's physically gotten old quick and/or is just in general satisfied with his NBA accomplishments and is already looking onto the next stage of his life (as an entertainment mogul presumably).

If it is the second, the Lakers will struggle to make the playoffs (they might make it, but it will be as a low seed) and Simmons is at least nearly as valuable as Lebron (assuming Simmons doesn't get hurt and he has the same durability as last year, even if he doesn't shoot).

If it is the first, then the Lakers will be near the top of the West and Lebron has more value than Simmons (assuming Simmons doesn't shoot).

Sitting here today, I'm not sure which is true.

Edited by PeterMP

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

So pay him like hes LeBron or Kawhi?

More like pay him what the market dictates. Personally, i want a hard salary cap with no individual max salary. Thats not the current setup though, and in this climate, Ben Simmons is absolutely a "max" contract player

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

More like pay him what the market dictates. Personally, i want a hard salary cap with no individual max salary. Thats not the current setup though, and in this climate, Ben Simmons is absolutely a "max" contract player

I understand, another "this is BS, but current rules of the game" situation

16 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Almost every day... I think about how this statement was said about Wall and extending him.  I wouldn't be mad at Philly if the played it out.

Even if you don't want him long term, the move is still max him, and then trade him.

He has more value signed long term than as an RFA next year (unless he has a really major injury, he'd absolutely be given a max contract offer as an RFA).  They'd get more for him signed long term today, then they would have 2 weeks ago without being signed to a long term contract.

If they let it play out, he almost certainly would have been given a max deal as an RFA at the end of the year, and he would just be mad at you making him more likely to move on (with you getting nothing).

(I was arguing years ago the Wizards should have traded Wall.  I would have moved Wall years before the extension became an issue.)

• Thanks 1

He should be putting in work like Blake Griffin.  Blake has almost remade his entire game.  He's a LEGIT threat from behind the arc. Didn't happen overnight, but it's a testament to how he's become one of the best all-around 4's in the league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1