Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The players ran roughshod over OKC.  That is an unfavorable trade for them.  They did it to make Westbrook happy rather than do what was best for the organization.

Westbrook's a declining player who's game probably won't age well. I think they did about as good as could be expected. They're clearly not interested in competing for anything in the short term

55 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

they could be set up really nice 23-26. No telling what houston or LAC will look like then, those could easily be high picks 

The Clippers picks could be good, but Houston never picks in the lottery.  OKC will probably be worse than them because they're probably going to rebuild the hard way, so the swaps won't come into play.

Houston getting protections on those firsts was a win for them.  They'll convey and be 20s picks probably.  So the final score of this will be OKC trading an All-NBA player who won an MVP award two seasons ago, signed to a long term deal, for a worse player and worse contract and a couple of late firsts that won't convey for five years.

It was a sweetheart deal for Westbrook.  He's probably earned it, but it's a kick in the balls.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I think Rockets will be better than people expect. They got two MVPs maybe Russ will get his shot back. Hopefully, at least his ft. 

I'm hoping they don't go straight Highlander on each other talking about "there can only be one".  I'm sure they are friends, but they haven't had to share the ball with each other in years.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Clippers picks could be good, but Houston never picks in the lottery.  OKC will probably be worse than them because they're probably going to rebuild the hard way, so the swaps won't come into play.

Houston getting protections on those firsts was a win for them.  They'll convey and be 20s picks probably.  So the final score of this will be OKC trading an All-NBA player who won an MVP award two seasons ago, signed to a long term deal, for a worse player and worse contract and a couple of late firsts that won't convey for five years.

It was a sweetheart deal for Westbrook.  He's probably earned it, but it's a kick in the balls.

Do the Houston picks have protections?  I haven't see that.

By 2024, Houston is still going to be in trouble.  Who knows what 2026 brings.  Even the 2025 pick swap might end up having value.

People talking about them getting more for Paul, I think are wrong.  If they can find somebody to take his contract, they'll be happy.

The only way they get much for Paul is if they take some bad contracts back.

7 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Westbrook's a declining player who's game probably won't age well. I think they did about as good as could be expected. They're clearly not interested in competing for anything in the short term 

There is just no way that two late firsts 5 years from now is the best they could get for Westbrook.  That is a pathetic haul for an All-NBA player locked up on a long term deal.  They did this to make Westbrook happy.  They succumbed to pressure to move him and sold bottom dollar on him.

Teams like Minnesota and Phoenix and Chicago and Orlando and even Miami could have easily beaten that Houston offer.  But Westbrook ran the show on this move, not Presti.

For all the success they've had in drafting and developing players, Presti is a weak GM and he is hampered by very weak ownership.  I can respect a front office that treats its best players like partners, and i think this can be a healthy approach to running their business.  But you're never supposed to be the junior partner.  That organization got preyed upon and exploited by their star players and their competitors.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm sure someone brought up Boston showing its possible to have too many assets and that having all those picks by itself isn't actually a plan.  I agree they coulda got more, but a second haul like they got for PG would've been straight overkill.  I respect them for not banishing him to the Knicks and instead giving him a last chance to win a ring with his boy.

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

Do the Houston picks have protections?  I haven't see that.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27171170/sources-okc-trades-russ-rockets-paul

The Rockets will send guard Chris Paul, two protected first-round picks (2024 and 2026) and two pick swaps (2021 and 2025) to the Thunder, league sources told ESPN.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I think Rockets will be better than people expect. They got two MVPs maybe Russ will get his shot back. Hopefully, at least his ft. 

They made out like bandits in this deal.  They gave up minimal draft value to turn a legitimate problem into an All-NBA player who is three years younger.  This was an incredibly fortunate turn of events for a team whose window was effectively closed a week ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, really would have pushed for at least the later one not to be protected.

Though, I think Russ also has limited value out there.

It would be interesting to know what other options they had.

Russ has been MVP, but I think most teams would give up more for Beal because he has more flexibility on where he fits in and so has move value (for example).

Edited by PeterMP

48 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

The Rockets' style of basketball is already unwatchable, I can't imagine what its going to look like with two shot jackers fighting over shots. Can Russ defer to Harden since it's his team?

Its worth it just to to see Beal's head explode when Westbrook passes up Harden, going for glory, then proceeds to throw up a Roaring '20s brick

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 2