• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

RonArtest15

***2019-2020 NBA Season Thread***

22 minutes ago, Destino said:

The Lakers needed a point guard that can shoot and defend, more than an assist guy.  Lebron, Boogie, and AD can all hit threes, but they really just want to take wide open looks.  Not the sort that really space the floor.  Rondo doesn’t even need to be checked at the three line.   

The point guard market was pretty bad this offseason.  We're at the bottom of the barrell by this point in free agency, and Rondo might be the best they can do.

They should be on the look out for anyone young who is mildly promising that might get cut.

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I can’t stand Melo but the lakers would

be smart to see if he is interested. He could provide some valuable shooting off the bench, which I think is his only value at this point. Maybe playing with his buddy Lebron will put his head right to just do that and shut up.  

I don't know, the Lakers are gearing up for a championship run.  There have got to be better options out there.  The league is full of 6'7-6'8 gunners who don't play defense.  The Lakers should at least find someone who is in shape.

Posted (edited)

It'll be cool to have an NFL like rivalry between the two LA teams, but it would only be cosmetic, Christmas Day type stuff.

In a series,  this would be over in 6 or less.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Listening to how active Kawhi was in recruiting for the Clippers, he didn't really want to stay in Toronto or go to the Lakers.  He played them off the Clippers to get the Clippers to pull the trigger on that Paul George trade.

Kawhi is a genius.  But damn, he is ruthless.  He's got a future as an NBA GM.

And they say cornrows look unprofessional.  Gonna be the first Executive of the Year with straightbacks.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

1.) Its Summer League, not preseason

2.) Its likely precautionary which is what they shouldve done in the first place. No way he shouldve gone out there that overweight

My bad, I thought I read that it was preseason, too.

I agree, they shouldn't have let him out there last night that overweight.  I can't get over that he puffed up like that 3 months after his last college game though.  I get the awards buffet circuit but...damn man.  Don't gotta go back up for seconds.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Kawhi is a savage. I still think the lakers have a pretty good squad and it will be a fun rivalry between them. 

Its amazing how quickly the Clippers have rebounded from that lob city team 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My bad, I thought I read that it was preseason, too.

I agree, they shouldn't have let him out there last night that overweight.  I can't get over that he puffed up like that 3 months after his last college game though.  I get the awards buffet circuit but...damn man.  Don't gotta go back up for seconds.

he looked chunky his senior year of high school, then he looked completely ripped once Duke got a hold of him. If NO has good people around him, they should be able to manage it properly

• Like 1

Just now, PeterMP said:

That's a crazy haul for Paul George.

its really Kawhi & Paul George. If you look at it through that prism, its a bargain

Woj said Kawhi wasn't going there without an additional star

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

its really Kawhi & Paul George. If you look at it through that prism, its a bargain

Woj said Kawhi wasn't going there without an additional star

Thats a good way to look at it. Only one team got the picks but you only make that trade to get both of them. 

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Doc ain't stopped smiling since he got confirmation of the move

Probably feels like this was his shot at redemption after what happened in Orlando.

I don’t see how that roster works. Maybe have Rando and Cousins off the bench? 

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's kinda overstepping a line and not really cool.

Habitual line stepper.  Free Agency has Steve all fizzy.

Rick James would be proud.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Tell me more about fat Zion. I missed the game. How fat are we talking here?

like button popping out of his tailored suit and taking an eye out.

Looks about 10 pounds overweight at least, which would probably make him like 290-ish, at what has to be barely 6'7

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

like button popping out of his tailored suit and taking an eye out.

Looks about 10 pounds overweight at least, which would probably make him like 290-ish, at what has to be barely 6'7

Zion like........

Image result for fat man little coat animated gif

• Haha 4

It's crazy that I've went from thinking the Lakers are a top four team, to think thinking they could be number two.

We've seen Boogie and AD before. It works. Adding LeBron to it should do nothing but make it more dangerous. 

So... How is what Kawhi did with Paul George not an egregious tampering violation?  It's one of the most destabilizing things a player has done in a long time. I can't see how the league can continue to allow the mess that happened to the Pelicans and Thunder to go on moving forward.  It literally threatens the viability of NBA basketball in the smaller markets.

I also don't understand why nobody has questioned how the Warriors have been able to sign so many of their players to way below market deals over the past seven or eight years.  How has nobody looked into them yet and exposed what they're doing?  How is it being tolerated by their competitors?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don’t see how that roster works. Maybe have Rando and Cousins off the bench? 

I think they actually did a decent job with it, considering they had nothing.  They've got a crapload of shooters, which is what everybody wanted.  Dudley can shoot, Cook can shoot, Green can shoot, Daniels can shoot.  That whole second column really is shooters, plus Caruso.  Horton Tucker is a rookie, but known for his defense, Javale can defend.

I dont worry so much about who starts and who doesn't, it's the minutes that count.  They'll figure out a rotation that gets the best mix. 

But as it is, you could run out Rondo, Green, Lebron, AD, Cousins.  Then, Cook, KCP, Dudley, Kuzma, and McGee behind them.  There's your 10 man rotation.  It definitely can work, just gotta figure it out and tweak it as necessary.  

Edited by justice98

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

So... How is what Kawhi did with Paul George not an egregious tampering violation?  It's one of the most destabilizing things a player has done in a long time. I can't see how the league can continue to allow the mess that happened to the Pelicans and Thunder to go on moving forward.  It literally threatens the viability of NBA basketball in the smaller markets.

I also don't understand why nobody has questioned how the Warriors have been able to sign so many of their players to way below market deals over the past seven or eight years.  How has nobody looked into them yet and exposed what they're doing?  How is it being tolerated by their competitors?

An unrestricted free agent tampering is a new complaint I never heard of.  

You cant really stop players from making requests.  What are we gonna do, make it against the rules for unrestricted free agents to make requests of a front office or talk to other players?  

I guess people want the power dynamic to shift back to the hands of the teams, rather than with the players.  I mean, you make the league about individuals and stars, what did people think was gonna happen?  

The only reason the deal got made was the Clips were managed well such that they even had the assets to part with, and the willingness to part with them, to make it happen. That's a management issue, rather than small market/large market.  Without that, Kawhi is probably still in Toronto and PG is still in OKC.  

I dont think the Pelicans and Thunder examples really help your argument.  In these cases, the smaller markets make out ok in that they enjoy the benefits of a star, that star leaves, but they get a haul of assets in the process with which to replenish.  I mean, the Pelicans are better on paper today parting with AD than they were a year ago.  And the Thunder were middling with PG and Westbrook.  They're about to have 8000 first round picks if Westbrook gets shipped out.  There's worse situations to be in.

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I dont think the Pelicans and Thunder examples really help your argument.  In these cases, the smaller markets make out ok in that they enjoy the benefits of a star, that star leaves, but they get a haul of assets in the process with which to replenish.  I mean, the Pelicans are better on paper today parting with AD than they were a year ago.  And the Thunder were middling with PG and Westbrook.  They're about to have 8000 first round picks if Westbrook gets shipped out.  There's worse situations to be in.

It's paying off small market teams to keep them quiet about egregious violations of tampering rules that do lasting harm to their franchises, but they are still being held hostage and the net effect is they lose their superstar players and are turned into farm systems for other organizations.

What Kawhi did was recruit a player already under contract with another team and convince him to ask for a trade to the team Kawhi wanted to go to.  That is hugely unethical.  No, it is not ok for free agents to recruit players under contracts with other teams onto the ones they are trying to sign with.  Recruiting other free agents is one thing, but they should not be allowed to tamper.  Players who engage in team building should absolutely have to follow the same rules as the teams themselves.

The NBA is going to have to address this problem in their next CBA negotation, because it is very destabilizing and damaging to the league as a whole.  They're going to have to create harsh punishments for doing what Kawhi did, not fines, but suspensions.  Long suspensions.  And they're going to have to reform the way agents work as go-betweens to recruit for their star clients when they're under contract with separate teams and ban unethical agents like Rich Paul from doing business with the league.

• Like 1