Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm going to be ecstatic if Cleveland does trade Kyrie, it will be only a matter of time until James leaves and the Cavs trade Love to start their rebuild.  That franchise will be back to basically being out the way for the East and Wizards to make runs over next couple years since our core is locked up.

The best of all worlds is Boston giving up a boatload of assets to get him, like their draft pick + Isaiah Thomas.  An IT for Kyrie swap would be a lateral move at best, downgrade at worst since Irving misses so much time, and it'd lock them into a capped out core full of role players plus leech away some of their picks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DM72 said:

For the record, LeBron has denied that he'd beat Kyrie's ass and said, "get another source."

Wonder if Stephen A will physically threat LeBron like he did KD.

Did anyone believe that for a second?  My eyes tried to roll out of my head as soon as I read that headline. 

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Did anyone believe that for a second?  My eyes tried to roll out of my head as soon as I read that headline. 

I believe somebody in Lebron's camp in a position to know Lebron's feelings characterized it like that. Sure, that's plausible. Stephen A didn't quote LeBron saying that.  It's 3rd hand info.  LeBron probably just didn't care for the proceedings and it got out into more colorful words.

The suddenness of this Kyrie and Lebron break up is interesting.  From the start this was "Kyrie doesn't want to play with Lebron" not that he doesn't want to play in Cleveland.  Kyrie hasn't bothered to comment.  Lebron's only comment was that Stephen A Smith's reports, that he wanted to kick Kyries ass, were wrong.  

So who slept with wrong side chick?  

37 minutes ago, Destino said:

The suddenness of this Kyrie and Lebron break up is interesting.  From the start this was "Kyrie doesn't want to play with Lebron" not that he doesn't want to play in Cleveland.  Kyrie hasn't bothered to comment.  Lebron's only comment was that Stephen A Smith's report, that he wanted to kick Kyries ass, were wrong.  

I prefer to think the breakup stems from Kyrie not being able to convince LeBron that the world is flat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Considering Kyrie got shat on too these last Finals I don't know why he's laughing

He's 25 and making around 20 million a year.  I'd say he's got plenty of reasons to be happy. 

12 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I prefer to think the breakup stems from Kyrie not being able to convince LeBron that the world is flat

I think they got in an argument about white women.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Destino said:

The suddenness of this Kyrie and Lebron break up is interesting.  From the start this was "Kyrie doesn't want to play with Lebron" not that he doesn't want to play in Cleveland.  Kyrie hasn't bothered to comment.  Lebron's only comment was that Stephen A Smith's reports, that he wanted to kick Kyries ass, were wrong.  

I think Kyrie didnt love this arrangement from the beginning.  When he signed, Lebron wasnt supposed to be there.  Which speaks to your comment about having no problem playing in Cleveland, cuz he signed the extension to stay there in the first place.

Then Lebron shows up and Lebron spends 3 years patting him on the head doing the "little brother" "Batman and Robin" act.  I absolutely believe that has always annoyed the crap outta Kyrie, cuz it would annoy me.  

Aside from being an unselfish player on the floor, I think off the floor, Lebron is less fun to play with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Aside from being an unselfish player on the floor, I think off the floor, Lebron is less fun to play with.  

I don't think Lebron is unselfish on the court. He forces every team to play his style of basketball. Granted, he one of the best players ever, but he is a very selfish player. It's not as over the top as Westbrook but he does the same.

Chris Paul is in the same vein.

Also remember this?

• Like 4

That question is ridiculous.  Lebron is 7 years older than Kyrie, so no where near old enough to be a "father figure."  Kyrie was also raised by his father (his mother died when he was young) so it's unlikely that he'd be looking at anyone else as a father figure.  Mentor perhaps, but that reporter specifically stated "parental role." 

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

That question is ridiculous.  Lebron is 7 years older than Kyrie, so no where near old enough to be a "father figure."  Kyrie was also raised by his father (his mother died when he was young) so it's unlikely that he'd be looking at anyone else as a father figure.  Mentor perhaps, but that reporter specifically stated "parental role." 

That reporter knew exactly what they were asking

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Also remember this?

I always liked that response from him cuz that would be the one I would give to such a question.  It's a stupid question.  

I recall a college kid giving that answer one time about his coach being referred to that way.

• Like 1

This was on the front page of ESPN for me: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20175109/lakers-celtics-sixers-more-potential-superteams-challenge-warriors-nba

Next NBA superteam? Here are nine teams to watch

I have to roll my eyes at most of this, but this really caught my attention:

The next '14 Warriors: Denver Nuggets

The Nuggets have quietly built an offensive machine in Denver. Fact: After Nikola Jokic joined the starting lineup in Dec. 15, the Nuggets -- not the KD edition of the Warriors, nor the LeBron-led Cavs -- owned the NBA's best offensive rating for the rest of the season (113.3 points pre 100 possessions). Yeah, that caught the rest of the NBA by surprise too.

And just like the Warriors, the Nuggets built an offensive juggernaut largely through the draft without needing a top-five pick. Like Draymond Green, Jokic was a gem found in the second round back in 2014. Talented guard Jamal Murray was the No. 7 selection in 2016, and Gary Harris was a sweet-shooting steal at No. 19 in 2014. Kenneth Faried was the No. 22 pick in 2011 during the Masai Ujiri regime.

Under the leadership of president Tim Connelly and Arturas Karnisovas, the Nuggets have nailed their draft picks lately. And like Golden State a few years ago, they've begun adding from the outside. This summer, the Nuggets acquired their version of Andre Iguodala in Paul Millsap, a star team-first veteran who can anchor both sides of the floor.

And they may not be done. With some cap creativity, the Nuggets could have up to $45 million in cap space (good enough for a max player) to add to an already strong core of Millsap, Jokic, Murray and Harris. If Denver declines Jokic's team option, he would join Harris in next summer's restricted free-agent class, giving Denver more flexibility next summer.

So who would be the Nuggets' KD? Don't overlook Chris Paul as a target. Denver's head honcho, Connelly, was the assistant GM in New Orleans in 2010 while Paul was there. And the Los Angeles Times reported that Denver was on Paul's short list of planned free agency meetings this summer before Houston pried him away. No team may ever replicate the Warriors' success through the draft, but Denver could have the best shot of anyone.

This is interesting.  That group is nowhere near as good as the Warriors were and Jokic is not going to be a Steph Curry.  But they have a fascinating set of pieces.  And if they're right that Chris Paul signs there next summer?  That'd be a pretty exciting team to watch.  A really great mix of offensive and defensive talent and a lot of great passing.

They aren't hanging with the Warriors though.  And the window wouldn't be that different because Millsap and Paul are older than Golden State's core.

Also, it seems like Chris Paul wants to play with LeBron, so I doubt that "what if" will ever come to pass.

If Paul George were smart, he'd go and play with these guys next summer, not the Lakers.

This also caught my eye too:

Dark horse: Sacramento Kings

Look, we can't believe we're mentioning Sacramento and Golden State in the same breath either. But the young core in Sacramento is tantalizing. Youngsters De'Aaron Fox, Buddy Hield, Willie Cauley-Stein, Skal Labissiere, Justin Jackson and Harry Giles represent a sky-high ceiling in Sacramento. With George Hill, Zach Randolph and Vince Carter presenting some much-needed veteran infrastructure, the kids could bring trouble to the rest of the NBA in a few years.

We're a long ways away from seeing if the Kings have something that resembles a playoff team, but the seeds have been planted. Look for the Kings to pounce in 2019 free agency with as much as $55 million in cap space with nine players under contract (all first- or second-round picks).

If they hit a couple home runs in the draft and manage the cap shrewdly, could they steal Klay Thompson in 2019? We like what's brewing up the coast in Sacramento.

We've been saying this about Sacramento since they drafted Tyreke Evans in 2009, so I'm a little hesitant to buy into them.  They are just so dysfunctional.  But I can't deny that I actually like that group of young players.  I really really like De'Aaron Fox and Willie Cauley-Stein.  Skal Labissierre exceeded expectations in limited minutes last season.  He was an elite recruit, and I think he might take to the NBA way better than he did college, much like Steven Adams and Andre Drummond did.  Buddy Hield is the go to scorer that kind of construction needs.  And both Jackson and Giles could turn into something.  More importantly, George Hill, Z-Bo, and Vince were some really interesting signings that give that locker room a lot of credibility.  They're great fits.  Hill can start until Fox gets older and stronger, Vince gives them another shooter, and Z-Bo can show guys like WCS and Jackson and Labissierre the way.

Also worth pointing out that losing Gay and Cousins could very well be addition by subtraction.

The fact that they were able to get those vets to sign is a demonstration that something is going on here.  They're building something.  The group is nice and balanced and... I think Sacramento might have finally gotten its act together.

I could see them growing into the next Memphis.  Wouldn't it be a trip if they ended up being better than New Orleans?

And as a Wizards fan whose kind of pinning my hopes on DeMarcus Cousins coming to DC, this doesn't make me feel good.  If New Orleans doesn't make the playoffs this year, that's pretty damning right?

• Like 2

On 7/30/2017 at 2:57 PM, Destino said:

On 7/30/2017 at 3:01 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

That reporter knew exactly what they were asking

So that would make Jimmy Buttler Kyrie's grandfather right?  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Not sure I'm ready to cut bait on Boogie & Brow because they couldn't get Jrue & E'Twaun to the playoffs in the West, @stevemcqueen1. You gotta have some kind of juice in the backcourt these days.

Oh I believe in Brow 100%.  Its Boogie I'm not sure about.

That's not to say I don't want him in DC any more.  I definitely do.  But I don't really trust him or expect him to change his stripes at this point.  It's a gamble that the Wizards have to take because its their best play.

It's true that you've got to have some guards in today's NBA.  But the game hasn't changed so much that having two All NBA 7 footers shouldn't be an automatic ticket to the playoffs unless something is very wrong.  All it took was George Hill for Utah to make the leap based on the strength of their front court, Jrue Holiday should be able to give them something like that.