Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

WTF we're the same age? I thought you'd be like in your 50s LOL.

And its more like such is the life of someone who didn't study a proper major. :P

You're telling me that 120 thousand dollar history and philosophy degree wasn't a cash cow investment?  Well where were you 15 years ago when I needed you?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's a creative mind right there.  Ain't that right @Mr. Sinister

In all seriousness, I'm obsessed with colonial history and I do some creative writing about it in my free time.  I'm a member of a local writing development center that holds classes and workshops and readings and that's how I get my creative and cultural fulfillment.

• Like 1

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

In all seriousness, I'm obsessed with colonial history and I do some creative writing about it in my free time.  I'm a member of a local writing development center that holds classes and workshops and readings and that's how I get my creative and cultural fulfillment.

I thought you got your cultural fulfillment on the Tailgate here with the rest of us.  And from advanced basketball stats.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're telling me that 120 thousand dollar history and philosophy degree wasn't a cash cow investment?  Well where were you 15 years ago when I needed you?

Brother majored in Sociology, jus bad timing, not a bad goal.

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

WTF we're the same age? I thought you'd be like in your 50s LOL.

Yall been missing some major clues then, like his birthday in his a profile : )

47 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's a creative mind right there.  Ain't that right @Mr. Sinister

Clearly a mind thats witnessed the endless pattern of war, famine, plague, technological advancement, destruction, and despair born of unrequited love.

Us mortals will never understand.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

I mean you have not proven him wrong

I'd softened as of late, but after this and that "Through the Wormhole" level MCU post, he has strengthened my resolve

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yall been missing some major clues then, like his birthday in his a profile : )

I just now realized that i don't know how old you all are either.  I knew Predicto was old and wizened and I know LKB went to some dumb college in the early 90's.  I've always assumed that you and Mr Sinister and Still are the same age as me, and I now know that Warhead is the same age as me too.  But I can't tell with most of the rest of the tailgate.

In the stadium everyone is some degree of old.  A discussion about this happened the other day where one of my boys ConnSkinn determined that he's one of the youngest posters on the board and I am almost positive that he is as old as me.

Momma are you my age too?  You must be.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Brother majored in Sociology, jus bad timing, not a bad goal.

I used to get frustrated thinking about it, and sometimes I wish I had been steered towards the building trades very early on and perhaps bypassed the liberal arts education entirely, but I met my wife in college and I actually loved the academic work that the school gave me.  I was lucky to get into the school that I went to, and they really developed me and broadened my horizons.  You almost can't quantify how getting that college education impacts your quality of life.  It can be very indirect.  I have relatives who grew up in the same household but one of them got a college degree while another didn't, and the one that didn't will have all kinds of instability in their life like abusive relationships, failed marriages, substance abuse problems, poor health, etc.  But the one who got the degree will have more independence and healthier relationships and much more stability and personal health, and tend to make better choices.  So there is something going on there.  It's got some kind of silver bullet cure for a lot of problems.

One of the best reasons to go to college is that it teaches you how to speak the language of other college educated people, which has to be hard to learn on your own.  That expands your social sphere.  Plus you never know when you'll get to use an obscure education down the road.

51 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I used to get frustrated thinking about it, and sometimes I wish I had been steered towards the building trades very early on and perhaps bypassed the liberal arts education entirely, but I met my wife in college and I actually loved the academic work that the school gave me.  I was lucky to get into the school that I went to, and they really developed me and broadened my horizons.  You almost can't quantify how getting that college education impacts your quality of life.  It can be very indirect.  I have relatives who grew up in the same household but one of them got a college degree while another didn't, and the one that didn't will have all kinds of instability in their life like abusive relationships, failed marriages, substance abuse problems, poor health, etc.  But the one who got the degree will have more independence and healthier relationships and much more stability and personal health, and tend to make better choices.  So there is something going on there.  It's got some kind of silver bullet cure for a lot of problems.

One of the best reasons to go to college is that it teaches you how to speak the language of other college educated people, which has to be hard to learn on your own.  That expands your social sphere.  Plus you never know when you'll get to use an obscure education down the road.

Now I just need to hang out with some college educated people so I can speak their language.  If you really want to teach you should go for it.  It's not too late to start over, and lots of places have a "career switchers" teaching program.  I taught for 11 years (history) and enjoyed the teaching- the other stuff, not so much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I just now realized that i don't know how old you all are either.  I knew Predicto was old and wizened and I know LKB went to some dumb college in the early 90's.  I've always assumed that you and Mr Sinister and Still are the same age as me, and I now know that Warhead is the same age as me too.  But I can't tell with most of the rest of the tailgate.

In the stadium everyone is some degree of old.  A discussion about this happened the other day where one of my boys ConnSkinn determined that he's one of the youngest posters on the board and I am almost positive that he is as old as me.

Momma are you my age too?  You must be.

I'd say my favorite clue is seeing the historical perspective people use to back up their opinions. 

Sometimes it happens by accident, jus joking around, sometimes it's used like it's supposed to be a Trump card in a debate "you weren't there", type ****.  I'll say if you right you right, same time you cant win every arguement with statistics alone.

Stadium is so much easier to figure this out because of all the "miss the glory days" vs "never saw the glory days" comments and perspectives.  It's tough, I've made polls, I'm convinced that even though there were a bunch of teenagers when I first got here there a no teenagers here anymore.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

OT for thread but wanted to say this anyway:

My brother gave up on educating because Ohio education system at the time put a horrible taste in his mouth and didnt feel he could make the level of influence he wanted to. 

Ya, I've seen you go on tangents, but I've also seen you share what you know because you think it will make a difference, a perspective someone might not of had, especially left field history nuggets.  Difference between showing you know a lot and jus wanting to share it with someone, there are examples of both on ES, honestly. 

You probably still have to go through the Praxis crap, but I wouldnt see you as a just doing your job type of teacher.  If you've tried that many different ways to make money, I can see even as an adjunct professor instead of fulltime jus to stay flexible. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sucks about Boogie.  Thought he'd settled down some.  Warrant out for his arrest.

I'm not checking Clay Travis' twitter because you know that dbag is crowing about this.  He famously predicted Boogie would be arrested within 5 years, and Boogie called him out 5 years later. 

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I'm not checking Clay Travis' twitter because you know that dbag is crowing about this.  He famously predicted Boogie would be arrested within 5 years, and Boogie called him out 5 years later. 

I don't know who that is, but he sounds like a dick.  Good for Boogie for holding a grudge and calling him out 5 years after.

15 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You probably still have to go through the Praxis crap, but I wouldnt see you as a just doing your job type of teacher.  If you've tried that many different ways to make money, I can see even as an adjunct professor instead of fulltime jus to stay flexible. 

I'm going to be moving within a year or two, I'm probably going to try and make the switch then since I'll be starting over anyway.  One of the main things for me is I want to get out of what I do before I get hurt or mess up my knees.  Teaching is kind of the family trade for me.  I would enjoy teaching college classes but the life of an adjunct professor is tough.  I don't understand how they can stay married and have families, moving around like they do.

• Like 1

The Boogie Cousins situation makes me sad.  I've always rooted for him.  But to threaten that woman is completely unacceptable, and if it's true that he's abused her in the past, then he needs to pay for his crime.  These kinds of domestic disputes are so ugly and sad.  They bring out the absolute worst in people.

• Like 2

Look, I aint a saintly dude, and freely admit I just came out of the looney bin for the second time in 8 years, but there's a difference between having issues and being crazy. You can't hold down crazy, especially when you're hit with 3 big time injuries in what, like 18 months?

Eventually when the world starts to press in on you dudes like that start to lash out, and the woman will always be one of the prime targets.

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Is the only way to watch the FIBA world cup, which starts this weekend, by subscribing to ESPN+?  That's some bull****.   

their interface is ****ty, but i spend $5 a month on worse

between the combat sports and soccer, its worth the money for me. everything else is extra

6 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Espn is proving to be a terrible partner for this, they don’t even have the group scoreboard on the front page.  At least they didn’t this morning when I went to check on mobile.  Bad enough that they are hiding the games behind a pay wall, but they’re barely even promoting it.