Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: That Insane New Falcons Stadium Is Really Going To Happen

BigDaddyShoo

http://deadspin.com/that-insane-new-falcons-stadium-is-really-going-to-happ-514105358

From a pair of ideas floated in April, the Falcons have chosen the official conceptual design for their new stadium, set to begin construction next year. It features an eight-piece roof that will twist closed—essentially an iris diaphragm.

ku-xlarge.png

That thing is pretty crazy looking. Can't wait for the day we get rid of FedEx.

http://deadspin.com/that-insane-new-falcons-stadium-is-really-going-to-happ-514105358

From a pair of ideas floated in April, the Falcons have chosen the official conceptual design for their new stadium, set to begin construction next year. It features an eight-piece roof that will twist closed—essentially an iris diaphragm.

ku-xlarge.png

That thing is pretty crazy looking. Can't wait for the day we get rid of FedEx.

Surprisingly Georgia Dome is only 5 years younger than Fed Ex, would love to have a new stadium being planned that soon, but with our current seating capacity I'm sure we'll hold off.

Meh....Falcon fans are undeserving IMO. Just a couple years ago I was driving through ATL and saw a billboard advertising season tickets for $183.  $183.  Once the Falcons fall back into obscurity, I'm not sure how they are going to pay for it.  Then again, I could be biased, because I absolutely hate ATL.  I can accept that as well.

An absolutely criminal waste of money. The days of extravagant engineering projects are over. I have no problem with attempts to achieve the "wow-factor", especially when the structure is going to be as iconic as the city's stadium - but a clever architect can achieve that through clever, functional design.

If the city is coffing up $200,000,000 of the total cost ($1,000,000,000) like the article says - that money is far better spent on local initiatives. A much better solution can be found well within the remaining privately financed $800,000,000.

Makes me angry.

Meh....Falcon fans are undeserving IMO. Just a couple years ago I was driving through ATL and saw a billboard advertising season tickets for $183.  $183.  Once the Falcons fall back into obscurity, I'm not sure how they are going to pay for it.  Then again, I could be biased, because I absolutely hate ATL.  I can accept that as well.

Why hate ATL?

An absolutely criminal waste of money. The days of extravagant engineering projects are over. I have no problem with attempts to achieve the "wow-factor", especially when the structure is going to be as iconic as the city's stadium - but a clever architect can achieve that through clever, functional design.

If the city is coffing up $200,000,000 of the total cost ($1,000,000,000) like the article says - that money is far better spent on local initiatives. A much better solution can be found well within the remaining privately financed $800,000,000.

Makes me angry.

Agree. The Uber RIch mantra of privatize the profits and publicize/socialize the costs.

Why hate ATL?

I was referring to the city, not the team, if you misunderstood that.  I actually don't mind the Falcons that much.  But I've had a lot of unpleasant experiences, professionally and personally, throughout the city.  And ATL sports team fans are just annoying.  But again...I'm biased because I dislike the city so much.  It's a cool looking stadium, I don't feel like Atlanta deserves it.

GA Dome is only about 4 years older than Fed Ex.  Went once to see the Redskins Falcons.  We lost 31-17.  I believe that was Matty Ice's rookie year.  Pretty neat place.  Kind of dark if you ask me, but clean and nice.  Atlanta is about a 3 1/2 hr drive from here in Charlotte. 

I think this is a bad move for ATL.  Once they fail to impress on the field, they will have a really hard time filling that stadium.  I think most NFL stadiums should go smaller, not larger (don't know that this is larger, just assuming). 

NFL on t.v. is too great these days.  Everyone I know says 'watching on t.v. is much better than going to the stadium.'  You have a better view, the food of your choice and you do not have to pay outrageous prices.

For the most part I agree.  The Sunday ticket is terrific.  But, here in Alabama, I will go to any Skins game that is close.  That includes this years Titans pre-season game and the Falcon's regular season game. 

As of right now, the Sunday ticket seems a waste.  We have five prime time games, I will be out of town for two weeks, and I will go to ATl one week.  I am questioning whether or not I will get Sunday Ticket. 

Actually, who am I kidding, of course I will!

I don't think it's just about the Falcons though. There will be plenty of college football games played there as well. More seats means more money for the city and they can enter the SB bidding. The NC State-Tennessee game and Auburn-Clemson had a 67.7 million economic impact for Atlanta (Labor Day weekend games)

GA Dome is only about 4 years older than Fed Ex.  Went once to see the Redskins Falcons.  We lost 31-17.  I believe that was Matty Ice's rookie year.  Pretty neat place.  Kind of dark if you ask me, but clean and nice.  Atlanta is about a 3 1/2 hr drive from here in Charlotte. 

yep, the game where jason campbell sucked (or got knocked out for a

quarter or two) and todd collins came in. i remember santana moss

catching a pass and then getting laid into the ground. he was out cold

for a few minutes

As a resident of Gotham, lol...

I like the open air part of it...I've only been to 4 football games in the Dome. It's like being in a fishbowl. The first pro game I went to was a Skins/Falcons preseason game, late 90s. The only seats we could get on the Skins side were all the way up by the ceiling, and I could hear what players were saying on the field, from wayyyy far away. (Across the aisle was an older couple who were on the Skins ticket wait list at the time, so we had great company...a definite plus!)

That's my single complaint. The rest of the place is great!

Archived