Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was in a bad car accident last Friday morning......

Tom [Giants fan]

I don't get that mentality.  Why would you not use a seat belt, something which has been demonstrated to save lives and prevent more serious injuries? 

I am a big guy and seat belts are tight on me. I've been driving for 25 years and have never worn my seatbelt because it is so uncomfortable. However, it is not more uncomfortable than broken ribs so I will be wearing it.

I don't get that mentality.  Why would you not use a seat belt, something which has been demonstrated to save lives and prevent more serious injuries?

Personally, I'm from the generation that didn't have that law. I learned to drive in my dad's lap when I was 7. From then, it was tractors,motorcycles, etc. Had a friend who only survived a serious wreck because he was thrown from the car.(not that strong of a reason, I know...)I'm also really short, and they cut me across my neck.

It's a law for insurance reasons, my belief. All of the stuff in a person's car, (that's going to be thrown around all over the place in an accident), could be more physically damaging. Just think of what your cell phone could do to your head (with inertia in its full glory)?

Now that I just typed all this, I probably need to go clean out my car.

Personally, I'm from the generation that didn't have that law. I learned to drive in my dad's lap when I was 7. From then, it was tractors,motorcycles, etc. Had a friend who only survived a serious wreck because he was thrown from the car.(not that strong of a reason, I know...)

It's a law for insurance reasons, my belief. All of the stuff in a person's car, (that's going to be thrown around all over the place in an accident), could be more physically damaging. Just think of what your cell phone could do to your head (with inertia in its full glory)?

The fact that the law requires it is irrelevant, at least to me.  I'm old enough to have gotten a license prior to seat belt use being required by law, and I just got in the habit because it's common sense - it can, and has, saved my life, or at least prevented more serious injuries.  Two days after I got my license, I was in an accident similar to Tom's - someone turned left in front of me, and on a rain-slicked road, I could not brake in time, t-boning the other car.  The impact was under 30MPH, but it still felt pretty solid, yet I walked away with NO injuries whatsoever, because I was wearing my seat belt.  And this was in a car from the pre-airbag days, too, so I didn't have that device to save me. 

Yeah, the car was totaled. I was going straight and a woman turned right in front of me. I don't know how she thought she had any chance of turning there. I wasn't wearing my seatbelt which I will be doing from now on. But I ended up getting thrown out of the driver's side door. I was only going around 35-40 mph when I hit her. Good thing I wasn't going any faster. I would have hate to miss the Giants winning the Super Bowl this season. :D

Glad to hear you are relatively ok...but I think you need to go back to the Dr. and have him check your head for concussion, or something, because I think you have lost your marbles with that statement ;)

Personally, I'm from the generation that didn't have that law. I learned to drive in my dad's lap when I was 7. From then, it was tractors,motorcycles, etc. Had a friend who only survived a serious wreck because he was thrown from the car.(not that strong of a reason, I know...)I'm also really short, and they cut me across my neck.

Try CDs.  When the person hit me at 85(crash mentioned earlier) all my CDs in the car went flying and sliced me and my friend all over.  Shattered pieces were all over the highway(flew out of the car through broken windows).  I literally only have one left. 

I am a big guy and seat belts are tight on me. I've been driving for 25 years and have never worn my seatbelt because it is so uncomfortable. However, it is not more uncomfortable than broken ribs so I will be wearing it.

Glad you're coming around. Luckily I got into the habit of putting on my seatbelt when I was young so its just subconscious muscle memory now...which saved my life. I was in an accident about 5 years ago where my car flipped 3 times. I was going about 55 when it happened; I ended up upside down hanging by my seatbelt. Amazingly I only had some cuts, bad bruises, and a couple cracked ribs...I thoroughly believe that I would be 6 feet underground right now if I hadn't been wearing one.

The seatbelt would not have prevented me breaking my ribs. The airbag broke my ribs. There is little room between me and the steering wheels. I took the full force of the hit and the airbag. I was bent over in pain right after the airbag went off. The only thing the seatbelt would have done here is prevent the cuts I got.

Dang Tom, just how big are you that you don't like wearing seat belts? I am a big dude, if I were a betting man I would bet that I am bigger than you. (6'6" and a lot of pounds) I can't drive without my seatbelt on. Then again maybe it's like a generational thing. When I first got my license in 05 that's when they started that click it or ticket stuff.

Good to know that you made it man.

youd rather be thrown out of your car than (possibly) hit by a cell phone?

Not sure when you 40 something people think the seat bell law was enacted in MD, but it was 1986, the year I graduated from HS.  My parents made me buckle up at 16 even before the law.  I fell uncomfortable without it. 

Glad you are alright Tom.  There are ways to wear a seatbelt and feel comfortable.  They have clips that go up near the top where the seat belt comes out that are approved by the highway administration.  I use one, because I hate that it feels tight on my shoulder and lap.  I keep it about a 1/2 inch away and it does the trick.  Search online.  Very inexpensive for a pair. 

22px-Flag_of_Maryland.svg.png Maryland

22px-Flag_of_Maryland.svg.png Maryland
Primary Enforcement
July 1, 1986
Age 16+ in front seats
$25
94.7% Primary Enforcement
July 1, 1986
Age 16+ in front seats
$25
94.7%

You know why it's a law (Even if you still want to believe it's insurance driven)? because wearing a seatbelt drastically cuts down on injuries. Yes, the insurance industry benefits from that. But so do insurance premiums for everyone else, as well as people's lives.

Good grief Tom, that's extremely scary.  I'm so glad to hear you're ok and weren't injured worse or possibly killed.  Hope your recovery goes as smoothly as possible!  That said, you still get no pity points from me when the Skins crush your team this year  :D

* As an aside, I think Tom's been given enough grief about the seatbelt issue.  Insinuating someone's an idiot immediately after they've been in a bad accident isn't cool in my book...

Good grief Tom, that's extremely scary.  I'm so glad to hear you're ok and weren't injured worse or possibly killed.  Hope your recovery goes as smoothly as possible!  That said, you still get no pity points from me when the Skins crush your team this year  :D

* As an aside, I think Tom's been given enough grief about the seatbelt issue.  Insinuating someone's an idiot immediately after they've been in a bad accident isn't cool in my book...

I agree with all of that.

So, I'm going to respond to a couple of comments, even though I probably shouldn't.

RR88...I remember the description of your accident vividly, and it sounded scary as hell! I remember you telling of the CDs all over the highway, and of the cuts. God only knows what nasty stuff was on those things when they went through your skin...either of you could have died from infections of some sort.

grego...I never said that. I just related a story from high school, a long friggin' time ago, and my follow-up statement was that it WASN'T a good reason to not wear a seat belt.

pj...do they make those extenders that will get that darn thing from cutting my neck? (I'm only 4'10".) The factory one in my '99 Monte Carlo doesn't work to improve the problem, even with electric seats that'll usually make a driver comfy. Thanks in advance.

Do a google search for Seat Belt Adjuster Clips.  Loopo is a good brand.  They will last about 5 years, but being plastic, they will warp in the sun.  I just ordered a set (2) through amazon about 2 months ago because my old ones warped and wouldn't lock. 

SkinsMary- They have pads to go on the shoulder strap that will keep it from digging into your shoulder.

And I want to say, if you hit the breaks, the seat belt will still do it's job in an accident, even with the adjusters on.

This is what I bought.  Only $6.95 for a pack of 2. 

Buckle-up and Breathe Easy

If you have been frustrated by tight seat belts that wrinkle your suits, cause driving discomfort, or constrict you around the neck, try LooPo Seat Belt Tension Adjuster . LooPo is an innovative product that allows you to drive in comfort while you buckle-up for safety.

LooPo is attached to the top third of the seat belt and allows the driver to slacken the seat belt from a half inch to an inch. It does not interfere with the seat belt's function during an accident as seat belts respond to gravity pull, which supercedes the small amount of slack.

• Easy to use!
  • Provides additional slack for your driving comfort.
  • Prevents wrinkling of clothing from your seat belt.
  • Allows seat belt to operate normally.
  • Suitable for the whole family.
  • Great for long trips.
  • Adjustable for all individuals.
  • Fits on standard and automatic seat belts
  • Keeps within National Highway Traffic Safety Administration slack guidelines for seat belts.

traveling-loopo1.jpg

grego...I never said that. I just related a story from high school, a long friggin' time ago, and my follow-up statement was that it WASN'T a good reason to not wear a seat belt.

i'm not sure what youre talking about, skins. i responded to this:

dont want to derail the thread, though, anymore than it is.

whats the update on tom?

pj...thanks, I'm on it. 

grego...I was responding to your question in post #35. I, too, will avoid de-rail. :D

ya. you woudnt really rather not wear a seat belt where you could be thrown around your vehicle or out of your vehicle as opposed to being hit by flying debris, such as a cell phone, right?

thats what i though you said in your post. maybe i misunderstood?

Yeah, the car was totaled. I was going straight and a woman turned right in front of me. I don't know how she thought she had any chance of turning there. I wasn't wearing my seatbelt which I will be doing from now on. But I ended up getting thrown out of the driver's side door. I was only going around 35-40 mph when I hit her. Good thing I wasn't going any faster. I would have hate to miss the Giants winning the Super Bowl this season. :D

Hope you are doing better Tom ... 

I think it's amazing you got ejected ... I'm assuming your window was down? 

Archived