Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pissed at my university...Am I being unreasonable?

Skinz4Life12

So I'm getting my second degree at the same univeristy I got my first degree at.

All I need is 2 credits to graduate and they can be general education credits. So of course I sign up for a 2 week rock climbing class because it will be easy and fun. (This course is only 2 credits)

Anyways, I show up for the "orientation" class last Friday. We talk about what we are going to be doing, where we would be meeting, etc.

So Saturday morning rolls around and I show up at the park only to find out the class has been cancelled because the univeristy wasn't able to obtain a special permit. So now they are trying to work things out with the park service but ultimately the class may be cancelled permanently if things aren't resolved by Friday.

I'm heated for a few different reasons. 1) The students were never made aware of this situation or the possiblity that this could happen 2) The class is being cancelled after it has already started 3) This is the last class I need to graduate 4) I'm getting married and moving out of state in the fall so I can't take classes during that semester

So now I'm looking at alternative classes I can take this summer (most of which are already completed or about to be completed) and I find one class that I can take. Its a 3 credit class and I only need 2 credits to graduate. There are no other 2 credit classes being offered this summer.

The differene in price between the 3 credit and 2 credit class is hundreds of dollars. The univeristy is refusing to eat this cost even though they couldn't fulfill their obligation on the rock climbing class.

Am I mad to be pissed off over this situation? The whole thing is throwing a wrench into my plans and has put my life on hold for the moment. Do students have no rights in situations like this?

So I'm getting my second degree at the same univeristy I got my first degree at.

All I need is 2 credits to graduate and they can be general education credits. So of course I sign up for a 2 week rock climbing class because it will be easy and fun. (This course is only 2 credits)

Anyways, I show up for the "orientation" class last Friday. We talk about what we are going to be doing, where we would be meeting, etc.

So Saturday morning rolls around and I show up at the park only to find out the class has been cancelled because the univeristy wasn't able to obtain a special permit. So now they are trying to work things out with the park service but ultimately the class may be cancelled permanently if things aren't resolved by Friday.

I'm heated for a few different reasons. 1) The students were never made aware of this situation or the possiblity that this could happen 2) The class is being cancelled after it has already started 3) This is the last class I need to graduate 4) I'm getting married and moving out of state in the fall so I can't take classes during that semester

So now I'm looking at alternative classes I can take this summer (most of which are already completed or about to be completed) and I find one class that I can take. Its a 3 credit class and I only need 2 credits to graduate. There are no other 2 credit classes being offered this summer.

The differene in price between the 3 credit and 2 credit class is hundreds of dollars. The univeristy is refusing to eat this cost even though they couldn't fulfill their obligation on the rock climbing class.

Am I mad to be pissed off over this situation? The whole thing is throwing a wrench into my plans and has put my life on hold for the moment. Do students have no rights in situations like this?

You have every right to be pissed.  It's happened at VCU before.  Not enough interest so the class ends up cancelled or some other funky reason.  It sucks that this happens at such a vital time but sadly the only thing I think you could do is taking another course and appeal the cost to the university on the grounds that they should have had the proper permit for the class. That or a online class.

I'm currently pissed at my alma mater.  They have started gouging season ticket holders this off season with PSL type crap on top of priority system that basically throws all the long time STHs out the door for the rich people.  Keep doing that crap and that best atmosphere in the conference reputation we've had  will be gone for wine and cheese people.  (I'm thinking about giving up mine)

If it doesn't get resolved could you take some BS class via online/distance learning with the school?  Then you don't have to worry about your move getting in the way?

Yes I could do that. A couple of problems with that approach.

Since I applied for summer 2013 graduation, I can't even register for the fall right now. So first I would have to go through the process of withdrawing my intent to graduate.

Next problem is I have no idea if all those classes are currently full. And lastly, if I move into the fall my graduation date will show as December 2013. So when I'm job searching in October, I can't exactly put down my second degree for another few months which really sucks. Its an option though..

What I want to know is why can't they just issue grades to the 7 students enrolled in the course? GMU screwed up period. They are cancelling a course after it started. They need to suck it up and give everyone an A in the class to compensate for lost time and inconvenience.

The whole situation blows - but at least its for a 2nd degree and not your first.

I take it that it's a 2nd Bachelor's and not a graduate degree?

Yes its a second degree in accounting so I can sit for the CPA exam. Yea it's for a second degree but it still blows that this is my last class and its holding my life up

This reminds me to insist on seeing a full transcript for every graduate we hire.

A 2-credit rock climbing class? For ****'s sake.

They did you a favor by canceling it.  :P

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. I just took 27 credits worth of accounting classes. Its not like my whole degree was bull**** like this.

Besides, this class looks like legit fun. I saw some of the stuff we would be climbing in Great Falls and its no joke. Looks like a rush

This reminds me to insist on seeing a full transcript for every graduate we hire.

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. I just took 27 credits worth of accounting classes. Its not like my whole degree was bull**** like this.

Besides, this class looks like legit fun. I saw some of the stuff we would be climbing in Great Falls and its no joke. Looks like a rush

What percentage of a degree being bovine excrement should be ignored by an employer?

What percentage of a degree being bovine excrement should be ignored by an employer?

As someone working towards my degree while working full time, your beef is with the wrong person. The universities require you to take bovine excrement to qualify towards graduation. If the education system was more interested in advancing continuing education instead of raking in cash by making working professionals take Student Development, Introduction to Public Speaking, Art Appreciation and other BS classes to qualify towards a Business Administration degree, we could have a fruitful conversation.

The whole situation blows - but at least its for a 2nd degree and not your first.

Yes its a second degree in accounting so I can sit for the CPA exam. Yea it's for a second degree but it still blows that this is my last class and its holding my life up

Isn't there a summer session at 1 of the Community Colleges you could take for those 2 credits? A CLEP test you could take?  Phoenix University online course?

And to your original post: Yes, you have every right to be pissed off at them....

Isn't there a summer session at 1 of the Community Colleges you could take for those 2 credits? A CLEP test you could take?  Phoenix University online course?

And to your original post: Yes, you have every right to be pissed off at them....

I'm sure there is but I won't able to put that i have an accounting degree on my resume if I take a class from another univeristy so it would kind of defeat the purpose.

I've taken the classes I need for CPA licensing and everything but I don't want to leave a degree on the table over two credits

I'm sure there is but I won't able to put that i have an accounting degree on my resume if I take a class from another univeristy so it would kind of defeat the purpose.

I've taken the classes I need for CPA licensing and everything but I don't want to leave a degree on the table over two credits

So you can't transfer in any external credits for the degree? Doesn't GMU have multiple summer sessions? I know VCU does. I think they have sessions that start every 4 weeks ending in early August. Is there another session before the end of June where you can take some Intro to Crappola 101 course?

As someone working towards my degree while working full time, your beef is with the wrong person. The universities require you to take bovine excrement to qualify towards graduation. If the education system was more interested in advancing continuing education instead of raking in cash by making working professionals take Student Development, Introduction to Public Speaking, Art Appreciation and other BS classes to qualify towards a Business Administration degree, we could have a fruitful conversation.

In my experience, there are Gen Ed options which cover the spectrum from "arguably beneficial" to "are you ****ing kidding me"? Rock climbing falls in the latter category.

In my experience, there are Gen Ed options which cover the spectrum from "arguably beneficial" to "are you ****ing kidding me"? Rock climbing falls in the latter category.

Can you, in any sensical manner, clue me in on why taking a snooze inducing intro to art appreciation is required for any degree outside of an art major?

I think he's saying can you take the class at a CC and transfer the credit to your degree at GMU...

That makes sense, I might look into that the only problem is it will probably take time to enroll in another school and drag into the fall which is where I don't want to be.

It's just annoying that the school essentailly **** the bed with this class and instead of making it up to me by eating the cost of the extra credit I don't need they are basically telling me to go **** myself and are taking no responsibility for their **** up

I think he's saying can you take the class at a CC and transfer the credit to your degree at GMU...

That makes sense, I might look into that the only problem is it will probably take time to enroll in another school and drag into the fall which is where I don't want to be.

It's just annoying that the school essentailly **** the bed with this class and instead of making it up to me by eating the cost of the extra credit I don't need they are basically telling me to go **** myself and are taking no responsibility for their **** up

Yes, that's what I'm saying: Take a class at a CC and transfer the credits to GMU; or, take a CLEP test in something and apply those credits towards the GMU degree; or, take an online course at East BF University and apply those credits towards your degree; or, apply to one of the later summer GMU sessions and take a different class. Isn't there a later summer session that would still fit your timeline to graduate this summer?

Yes, that's what I'm saying: Take a class at a CC and transfer the credits to GMU; or, take a CLEP test in something and apply those credits towards the GMU degree; or, take an online course at East BF University and apply those credits towards your degree; or, apply to one of the later summer GMU sessions and take a different class. Isn't there a later summer session that would still fit your timeline to graduate this summer?

Yes there is. That is my contigency plan. Like I said in the OP that class costs about $400 more since its a 3 credit class and the univeristy refuses to accept responsibility and not charge me the extra $$$ to take that class

Well if somebody went to a liberal arts college, I'd say at least 25% at minimum. I mean, if you're looking for engineers out of MIT, that's one thing, but if you're not requiring somebody to have majored/specialized in what you're hiring them for, then wouldn't most of their transcript be BS? If you're looking to hire somebody to manage a store, and they're pre-med, wouldn't most of their degree be BS for what you need them for?

And if somebody went to a liberal arts college, at least 1/3 of their credits are supposed to be in classes that are useless in real life, but supposed to keep you "well-rounded." How are you going to take a history, literature, art/music, science, philosophy, health, math, and computer class and not have half of those be useless?

And as far as rock climbing goes, most liberal arts college I looked at the end of high school required some type of health/activity combo. You had to take a general health type class, and then some type of physical activity based class to go with it. I took swimming, which is useless to a job sure, but is it any more useless than hunting safety, bowling, badmitton, or weightlifting (all counting the same as a 1 credit course to fulfill this requirement)?

Besides, why does it matter if somebody majored in African-American Lesbian Literature during the Industrial Revolution if they can do the job you're hiring them for?

All things being equal, I might hire the guy who, in addition to fulfulling all his requirements for an accounting degree, also took a rock climbing course. It shows evidence of an adventurous, well-rounded person who might make an interesting co-worker instead of some automatron number cruncher.

All things being equal, I might hire the guy who, in addition to fulfulling all his requirements for an accounting degree, also took a rock climbing course. It shows evidence of an adventurous, well-rounded person who might make an interesting co-worker instead of some automatron number cruncher.

I like hiring well-rounded people. But taking a two-week class to fulfill an idiotic Gen Ed requirement is not the same as having actual hobbies and interests.

Let's be fair here ... the school would be just as happy and he would get as much benefit if he was able to pay someone to falsify his transcript. :-)

You have every right to be pissed.  Unfortunately, the people you're dealing with are in no position to help you as I doubt any of them can give you that monetary credit.  Beyond that the school, although they are deeply in the wrong, don't have much incentive to help you out.  So, I'd only be able to offer the following:

1) Continue to try to negotiate with them, they DID drop the ball majorly on this, and I'm guessing you're unlikely to donate to (or speak highly of) your alma mater in the future.  If you can get to the right dean, this might be viable.

2) Are there any online courses available that you can take remotely after your move?

3) There might be a professor looking to have some research done who might be able to give you independent study credit.  I'm guessing this is a longshot in accounting, but it might be worth looking into.

4) Since you're trying to get GenEd credit, can you take something at a community college or local university in your new city and have it transfer?  This might be a bad option because it might force you to have to wait to sit for your CPA exam, but it could at least save you those couple of hundred of bucks.

If none of those work, I'd opt for writing this off as bad luck, taking the 3-hour course, and thinking of all the money you're saving on future homecoming trips and donations.

Archived