Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: $27,500 gun hits targets at 1,000 yards

China

$27,500 gun hits targets at 1,000 yards

A new company in Texas is selling a precision rifle with a unique technology that allows even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target 10 football fields away. The price tag is a staggering $27,500.

Tracking Point describes the weapon as a smartgun, with a trigger wired to the scope so that the gun won't fire until it's locked on the target that's been tagged.

"There are a number of people who say the gun shoots itself," said Chief Executive Officer Jason Schauble, a former Marine captain who was wounded in Iraq. "It doesn't. The shooter is always in the loop."

The TrackingPoint rifles, which are Wi-Fi enabled and have a color display so users can post videos of their shots on Facebook or YouTube, started shipping in May. Schauble said his company is on track to sell as many as 500 of them this year, to clients that he describes as "high net worth hunters" who want to kill big game at long range.

"There are a handful of snipers who can hit a target at 1,000 yards. But now, anybody can do it," he said. "You can put some tremendous capability in the hands of just about anybody, even an untrained shooter."

Indeed, novice shooters from CNNMoney tried the gun and did hit targets 1,000 yards away.

Click on the link for the full article and video

Pricey. It's not all that impressive for the person operating the rifle. I'd much rather learn how to snipe at that distance than have a gun do it all for me.

I'm sure from a military stand point it's very helpful in operations.

I mean, the technology is cool and all...a scope that adjusts for gravity, wind, rotation of the earth, etc, and I could see it's potential for combat operations...but do we really want to turn anyone who can put together $25,000 into a 1000 yard accurate uber sniper without any of the requisite training and discipline that normally goes into being that damn good with a gun?

Assault weapons have gotten a lot of bad press lately, but they're manufactured
        for a reason: to take out today's modern super animals, such as the flying
        squirrel, and the electric eel.

-Lenny Leonard

Look, I don't know about you, but when it comes to protecting MY home, i want to be assured I'm going to hit my target. even if they're a block away.

~Bang

Um... that would probably be called murder.  Who's threatening your life from a block away?

Everybody, man.

everybody.

Who's to say all of them aren't criminals just waiting to rape my wife?

I'll tell ya who. A victim, that's who.

~Beck

Look, I don't know about you, but when it comes to protecting MY home, i want to be assured I'm going to hit my target. even if they're a block away.

~Bang

Um... that would probably be called murder.  Who's threatening your life from a block away?

You know what they say...the best defense is a good offense. Like Bang mentioned...no way of knowing what their intentions are (they are just a speck at that distance at any rate). Better to be safe than sorry. Hell, if you're in Texas you can just claim the person was trying to run away with the money you gave them for illicit sex and BOOM! Free sniper practice.

That would be the perfect long range weapon for zombie kills (if the world ever came to that).

Pshh. That's sort of taking the fun out of killing zombies. Real men kill zombies with chainsaws.

Archived