Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7; Film Sessions: Did Robert Griffin III Get Hurt Running The Read-Option?

KCClybun

Exposure to contact will also be less of an issue as he gets more comfortable with passing off schedule. Which is what his role model Aaron Rogers is very good at. For example, he could have got out of bounds in the ravens game but if you watch closely he had a receiver running a shallow who came open for what could have been a nice gain and would minimize the hits he'd be exposed to.

except he takes more on standard pass plays.  the read option is safer on the QB than pocket passing is, if the QB refuses to take what's given and tries to make something out of nothing with his legs, as RG3 did on both plays where he got hurt.

what evidence do you have to substantiate this?

RG3's season, plus statements Shannahan has made.  

furthermore, the part you boldfaced is not a standalone statement. the "if" constraint that directly follows it is part of the assertion.

FYI... nfl.com had a segment on this subject and both analysts (believe darren sharper was one) thought Kyle's comment about quarterback safety in the read option was idiotic. one of them commented that rg3 got hit 150 times last season - averaging 10 hits per game which is on par with running backs - and many of the hits occurred during the read play. add to that the fact that he's had 2 knee surgeries in his career and is just a rookie

there's no diminishing the signicance of the threat to run. but guys, one more knee surgery and rg3 is prob done. why not play it safe?

edit: also repeat that i fully recognize his top priority is to learn to slide earlier

He did not take that many hits..

The whole narrative on "Read Option Injured RG3" is pretty ridiculous, KC, Kyle,Mike, and anyone with common sense knows he was hurt scrambling. In fact RG3 took some of his hardest hits IN THE POCKET via the traditional under center offense.

Sacks injure your QB more than anything else. The QB needs to be a smart runner when you run the Read Option or scramble out of the pocket, We love RG3 but proof is in the film and he needs to be smarter running the ball. Coaches will help him out this year by running most of the read option vs Nickle & dime personnel.

Here is a good read on the injury rates of Mobile vs Pocket passers...

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/02/quarterback_injuries_are_mobile_qbs_like_colin_kaepernick_more_injury_prone.single.html

130131_SN_Quarterbacks1.jpg.CROP.article

NLC1054 writes: I will admit there is slightly more risk of injury running the read-option, if the rest of the world acknowledges and admits that Robert was not injured running the read-option. That is the issue at hand.

My issue is with your opening paragraph. The one I quoted. That's a worthy topic.

I don't care about the people who say that Robert's injury occurred while running the read-option. I don't understand why you would be. There's all sorts of football nonsense floating about.

I'm with you on that. This seems a silly premise for debate.

The real question is how much more risk he's under running the option, followed by whether the gain is worth that risk.

Great write up and video as always!!!

The thing that stands out to me is how much explosion he lost after the injury.  He looks superhuman healthy - just fast when injured.  It's ridiculous.  Injured, he's still the best QB we've had in forever.

Get your slide on Mr. Griffin.  If I may quote Robert Frost, "[We've] got miles to go before [we] sleep."

HTTR

Archived