Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

CrypticVillain

DC9 ... that's a hell of a comeback. I think I started 2-6 and wont my last 5 to get into the playoffs. I, on the other hand, was just inconsistent. Trading Charles for Alf and Jimmy Graham turned my season around. I didn't get to win it last year, but I think my keeper situation has me poised to win it this year if the usual luck falls on my side. Congrats on your champ!

DC9 ... that's a hell of a comeback. I think I started 2-6 and wont my last 5 to get into the playoffs. I, on the other hand, was just inconsistent. Trading Charles for Alf and Jimmy Graham turned my season around. I didn't get to win it last year, but I think my keeper situation has me poised to win it this year if the usual luck falls on my side. Congrats on your champ!

I've been dying to get my boys to do keeper with me.  It makes sense and we all play each year (there are 10 of us)... so you still have plenty of available talent in FA.  You learn how to manage a bench and hide players from people, etc.  It's a lot of fun.  But doing a big draft every year and sweating wear I'll be picking, lol.

I would 150% recommend auction over snake for anyone. It does make it harder to do, but if you give everyone a spreadsheet in excel pre-formatted and have everyone bring laptops, it can be done relatively easy even in a live draft scenario. If you have a computer and projector too, even better. Have a running tally up there ... but auction is soooo much more fun and gives you a lot more control! Plus it adds a whole new level of strategy if you decide to do keeper. 

"I've noticed most QBs outside of Rodgers, Brees, Manning, and Brady going between the 5th-9th rounds. Romo sits to pee wouldn't be a terrible starter if you could pair him with another QB and just play the match ups every week. Not sure if I trust Romo sits to pee as an every week starter. He has some games where he'll throw for 400/4/0 and others where he'll throw 300/0/5."

I won the i'm in league with Romo sits to pee as the starter last year, don't sleep on him as much as it pains me to say. And just to clairfy this is a league with a $1200 prize so its wasnt just because this was a league of idiots.

I would 150% recommend auction over snake for anyone. It does make it harder to do, but if you give everyone a spreadsheet in excel pre-formatted and have everyone bring laptops, it can be done relatively easy even in a live draft scenario. If you have a computer and projector too, even better. Have a running tally up there ... but auction is soooo much more fun and gives you a lot more control! Plus it adds a whole new level of strategy if you decide to do keeper. 

I completely agree. I'm in an auction keeper league. We start with $200 and have a $5 increase in cost from year to year. Luckily I got RG3 and Morris on the cheap, so I should be able to keep them for the next few years.

Yahoo has a good auction engine, that's what we use for that league.

• 2 weeks later...

get mopped cuz!!! lol

Shut up Chewy lol

Since I am in here, I might as well contribute something to the thread....

With Hernandez being in hot water screw that, dude is in an inferno right, it looks like he won't be playing this upcoming season.

That is one less productive TE that will be on the list.

For my money I would rank the top 5 TEs like this...

1.Jimmy Graham

2.Jason Witten

3.Tony Gonzalez

4.Kyle Rudolph

5.Dennis Pitta

But honestly, if you don't get one of these 5 you will be okay. You still got Owen Daniels, Jared Cook, J.Finley(Who I think will be a beast this year), and of course our boy Freddy D(My other sleepr TE pick)

So while Hernandez may have gotten himself in trouble, it doesn't mean we won't be able to still find a TE that can produce.

Hey ML you left out someone kinda important on that TE list, the Gronk lol. Now I know he might not be ready at the start, but he is someone to still target and if need be, draft another servicable TE like a Jordan Cameron, Jared Cook, Pettigrew type to hold you over until he is back.

i learned last year that having an.elite qb/wr tandum is a good strategy (won me the superbowl). some folks make a good point that its a bad idea, cuz if ur qb is having a bad day, your wr most likely wont produce much either.

but i had a drew brees/marques Colston combo, and i slaughtered the entire league.

i learned last year that having an.elite qb/wr tandum is a good strategy (won me the superbowl). some folks make a good point that its a bad idea, cuz if ur qb is having a bad day, your wr most likely wont produce much either.

but i had a drew brees/marques Colston combo, and i slaughtered the entire league.

I think it depends on the qb/wr. I wouldn't go out of my way trying to get a combo, maily for the reason you stated. Just for instance, if that team got shot out one Sunday, that's 2 guys you know didn't really do much.

I wouldn't shy away from it, obviously your goal is to have the best team possible. I just don't think it's a sure thing if you have a QB/WR from the same team.

Hey ML you left out someone kinda important on that TE list, the Gronk lol. Now I know he might not be ready at the start, but he is someone to still target and if need be, draft another servicable TE like a Jordan Cameron, Jared Cook, Pettigrew type to hold you over until he is back.

I hear you Mr.Fancy, but I just took Gronk off my board completely. I think dude is done. If you can get him with like a 6 or 7th round pick, that's cool. But I don't think he will drop that far and he has too many red flags for me to draft him that high.

I think it depends on the qb/wr. I wouldn't go out of my way trying to get a combo, maily for the reason you stated. Just for instance, if that team got shot out one Sunday, that's 2 guys you know didn't really do much.

I wouldn't shy away from it, obviously your goal is to have the best team possible. I just don't think it's a sure thing if you have a QB/WR from the same team.

I had Brady and Gronk in 2011. I murdered people that year.

I'm in a keeper league, where you can keep a player for 2 years.  Last year I kept LeSean McCoy.

Here are my options I've trimmed down for my player to keep:

QB - Tom Brady

RB - Doug Martin

RB - LeSean McCoy

RB - Trent Richardson

I also have the #2 pick in the draft, right now I'm thinking about keeping Doug Martin (who I can keep for 2014 as well), then trying to draft either Jamaal Charles, Morris, CJ Spiller, McCoy, or Richardson (scared of constant injuries).  

What do y'all think?

RBs are even more of a premium than they were last year. Either you need a couple studs who are likely to get consistent production throughout the year, or you need 1 of those and then a couple mid-tier RBs later on in the drat who will do ok, but you'll have to decide who to start each week. The plus side to that is you can focus on more positions early in the draft.

Which round will each of those potential keepers count against? Right now I'd probably go with the double whammy and keep Martin since he's also a receiving threat and then take McCoy with the 2nd overall pick, or a better RB if one is available, may not be in a keeper league.

I dunno, I don't think he's done. I mean I guess its too early to know what he'll do this season. But if he start slipping in drafts, I would certainly take him. Most mocks I've seen have him going in the 4th or so, I could live with that. Like I said you just grab someone else late and you should be set.

If it is a reliable duo then it is a good idea. A bunch of up games easily beats out a couple down games. Can be a TE too, pretty much whoever the go-to guy is for your starting QB it is a good idea to grab him. 

I dunno, I don't think he's done. I mean I guess its too early to know what he'll do this season. But if he start slipping in drafts, I would certainly take him. Most mocks I've seen have him going in the 4th or so, I could live with that. Like I said you just grab someone else late and you should be set.

True that. But I just think dude was on something and whatever he was on is just destroying his body. I'll be shocked if he plays more than 5 or 6 games this year.

get mopped cuz!!! lol

Shut up Chewy lol

Since I am in here, I might as well contribute something to the thread....

With Hernandez being in hot water screw that, dude is in an inferno right, it looks like he won't be playing this upcoming season.

That is one less productive TE that will be on the list.

For my money I would rank the top 5 TEs like this...

1.Jimmy Graham

2.Jason Witten

3.Tony Gonzalez

4.Kyle Rudolph

5.Dennis Pitta

But honestly, if you don't get one of these 5 you will be okay. You still got Owen Daniels, Jared Cook, J.Finley(Who I think will be a beast this year), and of course our boy Freddy D(My other sleepr TE pick)

So while Hernandez may have gotten himself in trouble, it doesn't mean we won't be able to still find a TE that can produce.

I am a big fan of TEs in FF, this year with Gronk off the market for a bit and Hernandez off for maybe entire season, after Graham it drops. Good TE production will be had in later rounds. TEs I think are best in terms of targets. Ballard could be a sleeper, same as Sleepy Davis, both depend on injury recovery and usage in the system.

Graham, Witten, Gonzalez are tops for targets and production, but Rudolph, Meyers, Miller, Daniels, Olsen, Pettitgrew, Gresham and Pitta are all next tier that aren't significantly lower than the top 3 with production and can be had much later. People seem to be ignoring VD because of last season, so he could be had later and be a good option. Finley burns everyone every year, he is a player I won't use a roster spot on. Also, depending on Manuel and geno, Chandler and Keller could be deep sleepers.

Before preseason/training camps, here's how I'm approaching TEs this year...

There are 2 elite, top-tier TEs in Graham and Gronk and alot of "meh" guys for various reasons.

I either:

1-take Graham very early (gotta use a second rounder) and lock down the only healthy one giving myself a huge advantage at the position. The biggest con here is that you have to build a team around using that early of a pick on a TE.

2-take Gronk a couple rounds later. Now I can use the earlier pick that I needed for Graham on a RB2 or WR1. If Gronk does go on PUP for the first 6 games I take a guy like Olsen late and plug him in for the first month and a half. When he's finally healthy, Gronk is a points per game MONSTER and can drag your team kicking and screaming into the playoffs by himself : )

Alot of people are leaning to waiting on TE but I think mediocrity is being confused for depth here. Yes a couple of these guys could pan out (Meyers in particular imo) but you'll end up platooning guys and probably guessing wrong on who to start half the time. 

Try mocking at the ffcalculator site, I'm pretty happy with the rosters I get from either approach.

Some good points Grinder. First, I swear by Fantasy Football Calculator. Easily the best mock draft site. Everyone on there takes it seriously which is always a good thing. And people love to chat and discuss picks as they are being made.

The thing about TE for me this year is that if you don't take Graham early, you can still get good TE production late. I was able to snag Tony Gonzalez in every league I was in last year in the 6th-8th rounds. Right now, that's where guys like Finley, Rudolph, Pitta, Cook, etc. are going. I'm not saying all of those guys will be studs, but there's a chance at least 1 of those guys will end up in the top 5.

I agree that the production isn't the same of Graham vs. Finley. But I still think there is more depth at TE than there has been in the past. It used to be that if you didn't get one of the top 5 or so TEs, you were screwed. Now I think any of the top 10 or so are solid every week starters.

Some TEs that are going late that are worth looking at are Olsen, Finley, Cook, Fred Davis, Pettigrew, and Jordan Cameron.

Just did a mock. Picked the #12 spot so I could take Graham and see what my team would look like.

1. Jimmy Graham

2. Matt Forte

3. Lamar Miller

4. Randall Cobb

5. Pierre Garcon

6. Cam Newton

7. T.Y. Hilton

8. Mark Ingram

9. Bryce Brown

10. DeAndre Hopkins

11. Ronnie Hillman

12. Ben Roethlisberger

13. A.J Jenkins

14. Stephen Gostkowski

15. Baltimore D

I'm going to go for RG3/garçon this year. Worked okay last year when garçon was healthy. Had Fred Davis too but tht obv didn't work, though rg3/alf combo was potent.

Could be risky. I like Garcon alot, but his foot injury is concerning. If he stays healthy he could be a top 15 WR with no question.

I know it's risky but it's low cost. I also should have Adrian Peterson rg3 Alfred Morris and a couple solid WR aside from garçon. It's a cheap combo to gamble on, but could have potentially huge rewards. I'm keeping AP/Alf for only $49 of my $220 cap ... And RG3 and Garçon should only cost me $30 combined, max ... So it's a cheap option to add to some studs I already have.

Archived