Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Antrel Rolle: Dallas Cowboys' problem not players (Redskins mentions)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000209086/article/antrel-rolle-dallas-cowboys-problem-not-players

New York Giants safety Antrel Rolle never has been shy about speaking his mind. His latest targets are Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and owner/general manager Jerry Jones.

In an interview that aired Tuesday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," Rolle said he's "looking forward" to playing against a team that some analysts already are picking to win the NFC East this coming season.

"The Dallas Cowboys are a good team," Rolle said. "Maybe they're missing a couple pieces of the puzzle, but I don't think the pieces they're missing are actually the players."

Ouch. That's a not-so-subtle shot across the bow of the Cowboys' brass....

[...]Rolle's comments directed at NFC East foes weren't all negative. Asked about Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III, Rolle replied: "I'm not so eager to see this guy. I'm gonna let him take his time, get his rehab. I want him 100 percent. He's a huge playmaker in this league."

The Giants might believe the Cowboys are something of a laughing stock, but it has become abundantly clear that they have the utmost respect for Griffin.

That's cuz Bob kicked their asses twice, and they were lucky to get out with a "W" the first time.

They know we're not a joke now. It's good to see their players giving the team respect, given how **** their ownership is...

That's cuz Bob kicked their asses twice, and they were lucky to get out with a "W" the first time.

They know we're not a joke now. It's good to see their players giving the team respect, given how **** their ownership is...

It's pathetic that I can genuinely like a division rival's players orders of magnitude more than I like its owner.

Antrell is trying to have it both ways.  If the players are great then the problem is not Jerry Jones.  He collected a good group of guys.  Mind you, maybe he just means the HC, but we've seen that paper versus production thing play out in Washington.  For years, we convinced ourselves through Norv, Schott, Gibbs, and Zorn that we were really talented, but that it was something wrong with the coaches or the culture.

For the Redskins, it was all of the above though honestly hindsight makes Joe's success more impressive.  That he could engineer two playoff runs out of a Vinny team has proven to be amazing.

Vinny was not picking the players during Gibbs II, much as we'd like to blame him for that. He was doing the one thing he's capable of - compiling scout's notes, film et al and handing it off to JG and GW to make the decisions. GW's lobbying for the D players he wanted in 04 - Griffin, Washington, Springs, Sean Taylor is what made us a winner. I love and respect Gibbs, but he is a poor personnel guy. People don't give Beathard nearly enough credit for the 80s.

Antrell is trying to have it both ways.  If the players are great then the problem is not Jerry Jones.  He collected a good group of guys.  Mind you, maybe he just means the HC, but we've seen that paper versus production thing play out in Washington.  For years, we convinced ourselves through Norv, Schott, Gibbs, and Zorn that we were really talented, but that it was something wrong with the coaches or the culture.

For the Redskins, it was all of the above though honestly hindsight makes Joe's success more impressive.  That he could engineer two playoff runs out of a Vinny team has proven to be amazing.

Cowboys arguably have done a better job drafting than Vinny and Parcells deserves some credit for it.  They've found a franchise QB as an undrafted FA, a decent WR, too and a good DT in the 7th round.  They drafted one of the best Wrs in the league, one of the best Des.   Spencer is very good.  They have two very good linebackers.  One of the best Tes to ever play in the league.  So I agree with Rolle, they have talent.  And I'll give Jerry that he's hired good people to procure talent.  He's the GM but obviously he has scouts and his version of who Scott Campbell is here. don't think they are great at it, but good, and IMO certainly better at it than Vinny was. 

BUT, Jerry's constant interference and seeming insistence on having coaches that suck up to him as opposed to being the best person for the job, IMO is the problem with this team.  Along with him craving the headlines and media circus that makes the Cowboys sort of like what the Yankees were when Steinbrenner was out of control during the pre Torre years.

If we are looking for a Redskins analogy, maybe the Gregg Williams/Jim Zorn example isn't bad.  I got the vibe reading about what they thought of Gregg, that part of it was that they didn't think he'd be a company man -- whereas Zorn would be.  I get the same vibe about what Jerry is looking for.  Fortunately for us, Snyder got over needing to have a stamp on everything and let Shanny truly run the show.  I don't think Jerry wants to let go of that control. 

Cowboys arguably have done a better job drafting than Vinny and Parcells deserves some credit for it. 

BUT, Jerry's constant interference and seeming insistence on having coaches that suck up to him as opposed to being the best person for the job, IMO is the problem with this team.  Along with him craving the headlines and media circus that makes the Cowboys sort of like what the Yankees were when Steinbrenner was out of control during the pre Torre years.

Snyder got over needing to have a stamp on everything and let Shanny truly run the show.  I don't think Jerry wants to let go of that control. 

This part.  Snyder gets alot of flack for being an "interfering" owner, but you have to give him credit for some things that he never did that Jerrah does, like telling the coach who should call the plays, updating us on injuries or camera hogging after every game.  Hell, even our GM Bruce Allen doesn't do that.  But GM and Owner Jerrah will go in front of the camera every chance he gets to say who will start, who will be out because they are injured, who will call the plays and what will happen for the next game.  The only time I saw Dan say anything was when a microphone caught him in the lockeroom saying, "I hate those mother effers," eluding to the Giants. It's just weird that the first person we see at a press conference after every Cowboys game is the GM/Owner and not the coach or players.  

Damn, I wanted Rolle to say something nasty.

Remember 2011? When he said the vagiants would beat the skins 99 out of 100 games? Then Rex Grossman swept their asses that year.

And they were close to being swept again last year. I wouldn't be so eager to see us again either.

This is just what I've been waiting for. All those nay sayers are gonna have to start eating their own words. From punching bag to top target. That's like the beginning of last season. About 5 games into the season teams started pulling back on the number of blitzes. Once RGIII proved he could make the right calls and beat them w/ his arm. People aren't going to be so quick to call out the Skinz anymore.

Cowboys arguably have done a better job drafting than Vinny and Parcells deserves some credit for it.  They've found a franchise QB as an undrafted FA, a decent WR, too and a good DT in the 7th round.  They drafted one of the best Wrs in the league, one of the best Des.   Spencer is very good.  They have two very good linebackers.  One of the best Tes to ever play in the league.  So I agree with Rolle, they have talent.  And I'll give Jerry that he's hired good people to procure talent.  He's the GM but obviously he has scouts and his version of who Scott Campbell is here. don't think they are great at it, but good, and IMO certainly better at it than Vinny was. 

If we are looking for a Redskins analogy, maybe the Gregg Williams/Jim Zorn example isn't bad.  I got the vibe reading about what they thought of Gregg, that part of it was that they didn't think he'd be a company man -- whereas Zorn would be.  I get the same vibe about what Jerry is looking for.  Fortunately for us, Snyder got over needing to have a stamp on everything and let Shanny truly run the show.  I don't think Jerry wants to let go of that control. 

I thought Gregg Williams didn't get a job here less because he wouldn't be a "company man" and more because he had a rep in the building and around the league for being a douche who might've royally screwed up eventually. (And he did.)

I watching watching "A Football Life: Jimmy Johnson", and Jimmy said Jerruh told him that the action wasn't in the front office, but in the lockerroom and on the field, or something to that effect. Jerry Jones is an owner who cares much more about getting himself over. No other owner/general manager is regularly interviewed in the lockerroom after games. Jerry has chased off too coaches that bought his team to prominence (Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells), then hired glad-handing yes men who will run the team the way he wants.

He's Al Davis without the track record or the vision. Jerry Jones did nothing to earn a general manager title. He played football in the 60's, went out and made money doing pretty much anything else, bought the Cowboys, forced out Tex Schramm and installed himself as general manager.

He cares more about himself than his football team, and that's pathetic. Dan Snyder could be and still can be an asshole, but the one thing that was hardly ever in question was how much he loved the team. He ran it like crap, but at the very least he was (mostly) well meaning.

At this point I don't think Jerruh cares if the Cowboys win or lose, as long as people want to talk to him after games.

Archived