Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7; Unemployed Has-been Quarterback Wants to Offer Robert Griffin III Career Advice

KCClybun

donovan-mcnabb-redskins-press-conference

There are few people more unqualified to offer advice to Robert Griffin III than Donovan McNabb.

It’s not altogether surprising that Washington Post columnist UnWise Mike went to McNabb to ask his opinion on the Redskins signal caller; it’s not like Wise is going to get a legitimate interview with RGIII any time soon, so it’s pretty much down to getting juicy quotes from a disgruntled former player and photobombing press conferences wearing t-shirts with Native American imagery. (So, so brave that one is.)

And it’s not surprising that McNabb once again took the opportunity to jab Mike Shanahan in the ribs. This is, of course, the man who boldly claimed that Mike Shanahan would not be a good fit for Robert. (On camera, no less.)

http://httr24-7.com/blog/unemployed-has-been-quarterback-wants-to-offer-robert-griffin-iii-career-advice/'>Click here to read more.

Reminds me of when Deion said he wanted to coach, and Bang came up with the hilarious parody... "None of this tackling business - grab and slap, grab and slap..."

McGnat to RG3 "None of this laser throwing on a rope - when they're that wide open, make them work for it.  Throw it at their feet!"

Wise & McNabb....a perfect match.  Please just disappear, both of you.  They both hang on to the Skins because we get the most press.  I guess that comes with the territory when you have the number one most marketable athlete in the world, and number three in the entire world. They hang on or write crap just to be seen.  They both suck, big time.  HTTR

I actually agree with Donovan.

(I'll brace for impact now)

My general philosophy about players and teams is the less I hear from and about them the better.  I like knowing where RG3 is in his recovery but I don't like expectations or hearing anyone talk.  Even if it's good, classy stuff.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the amount of press we're receiving or what RG3 is saying but the bigger you build something/someone the harder it falls.  I'd rather be hated and told we suck and then win then told we're good and then fall.  That's what happens in Dallas with Jerruh (Not saying RG3 should be compared at all, but there is something to be said for a similar premise).  At some point, I don't want to hear commercials or press conferences and I want to see results.  And I do fear this kid might be overexposed and we're not noticing it because we've been starved for any sort of media recognition the past 15 years.

I actually agree with Donovan.

(I'll brace for impact now)

My general philosophy about players and teams is the less I hear from and about them the better.  I like knowing where RG3 is in his recovery but I don't like expectations or hearing anyone talk.  Even if it's good, classy stuff.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the amount of press we're receiving or what RG3 is saying but the bigger you build something/someone the harder it falls.  I'd rather be hated and told we suck and then win then told we're good and then fall.  That's what happens in Dallas with Jerruh (Not saying RG3 should be compared at all, but there is something to be said for a similar premise).  At some point, I don't want to hear commercials or press conferences and I want to see results.  And I do fear this kid might be overexposed and we're not noticing it because we've been starved for any sort of media recognition the past 15 years.

Here's the thing;

Since January, all anyone in the media has complained about has been the fact that they've been given zero access to RG3. That they haven't been able to ask him questions, pick his brain, found out what he thought about the playoff game, hell, find out what he thought about his season. Some of the griping was legit, some was a way of complaining about the team like always.

So, given that they had zero access to RG3, the immediate thing they started doing was scouring any info they could muster. That's why anything the kid posted on Twitter become such a huge deal. And the natural answer to that is "Well stop using Twitter". Which would be great, if they didn't take the single interview he did for ESPN Magazine and turn THAT into a story.

"Well then don't do interviews at all." Even Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do interviews. Even they do big advertisments. RG3 is basically the single most in demand person on the planet right now, and one can't realistically expect for him to shield himself from the world. And if it's not one of those things, then it's SOMETHING; the thing that becomes the story then is probably the fact that he's entered a cocoon and "Does that mean he doesn't want to talk about his problems with Shanahan?" or whatever.

Like I said in the article, what the weekly press conferences do is allow Robert Griffin III and the Redskins to control their messaging. RGIII is a masterful orator and has the media eating out of his hands. So RGIII basically sets the tone and can effectively neutralize any controversy, or at least keep it under control. Did you notice there was no big controversial story the last couple weeks, or at least not one about RGII.

McNabb is applying his experiences in Philly to RGIII's experiences here. The truth is, the two couldn't be more different. The Philly press and fan base was skeptical about Donovan from the start. His play on the field was at times outstanding, but his sideline goofiness, his end zone dances, and the robotic nature of his press conferences rubbed just about everyone in Philadelphia the wrong way. The fact is, people looked at the guy like a phony, and his concern for RGIII (especially considering the author of the article) comes off like that. He can't give advice to Robert without taking a shot at the organization at the same time, not to mention all the blatant hypocrisy.

And why does he have to sit down with RG3 and his Dad? He can't have a 5 minute talk with RG3, give him a pep talk and move on?

McNabb only has one person's best interest at heart, and that's his own. That's the reason he has a radio show right now instead of playing football in the league.

Here's the thing;

Since January, all anyone in the media has complained about has been the fact that they've been given zero access to RG3. That they haven't been able to ask him questions, pick his brain, found out what he thought about the playoff game, hell, find out what he thought about his season. Some of the griping was legit, some was a way of complaining about the team like always.

So, given that they had zero access to RG3, the immediate thing they started doing was scouring any info they could muster. That's why anything the kid posted on Twitter become such a huge deal. And the natural answer to that is "Well stop using Twitter". Which would be great, if they didn't take the single interview he did for ESPN Magazine and turn THAT into a story.

"Well then don't do interviews at all." Even Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do interviews. Even they do big advertisments. RG3 is basically the single most in demand person on the planet right now, and one can't realistically expect for him to shield himself from the world. And if it's not one of those things, then it's SOMETHING; the thing that becomes the story then is probably the fact that he's entered a cocoon and "Does that mean he doesn't want to talk about his problems with Shanahan?" or whatever.

Like I said in the article, what the weekly press conferences do is allow Robert Griffin III and the Redskins to control their messaging. RGIII is a masterful orator and has the media eating out of his hands. So RGIII basically sets the tone and can effectively neutralize any controversy, or at least keep it under control. Did you notice there was no big controversial story the last couple weeks, or at least not one about RGII.

McNabb is applying his experiences in Philly to RGIII's experiences here. The truth is, the two couldn't be more different. The Philly press and fan base was skeptical about Donovan from the start. His play on the field was at times outstanding, but his sideline goofiness, his end zone dances, and the robotic nature of his press conferences rubbed just about everyone in Philadelphia the wrong way. The fact is, people looked at the guy like a phony, and his concern for RGIII (especially considering the author of the article) comes off like that. He can't give advice to Robert without taking a shot at the organization at the same time, not to mention all the blatant hypocrisy.

And why does he have to sit down with RG3 and his Dad? He can't have a 5 minute talk with RG3, give him a pep talk and move on?

McNabb only has one person's best interest at heart, and that's his own. That's the reason he has a radio show right now instead of playing football in the league.

I do agree with your assessment of Donovan and the media.  I also agree with you (as I said in my first post) that there is nothing about what RG3 is saying this off season that is wrong.  What I don't like is media being near my team nor do I like being talked about on ESPN anytime except during the season, and even then I tend to not like it.  I don't think it's an unfair assertion to make that the media has no benefit for a team and can only have a negative effect (although not necessarily as it can be indifferent thus having no effect).  All I've seen this offseason is this team being hyped up and having expectations dumped on them because of RG3.  And it's not healthy.  It may turn out not to matter.  In fact, I would go as far as to say it's likely to not matter.  But if I were Robert I would've done no major commercials (all be it has some damn good ones) outside of Eastern Motors, I probably wouldn't even have a twitter, and I would give as few statements as possible for the "spin masters" to use (very few press conferences at OTA's at least).  Like I said, there's no benefit to any of it so I don't see why do it.  Obviously you can't expect the guy to shelter himself entirely but there are things you can do.  I don't like the hype going into the season, it just destines us for failure.

I'll leave you with what some Redskin fan said to a Cowboys fan in a bathroom a few years ago when we were down.  I say this because I find it relevant and it was really funny when he said it.

"Better to come from behind then start out in front."

This is one of the more annoying off season's in recent history. I really hope this drama ends at the HOF game when football returns.

It's the nature of the beast here in a high market city. I wonder what Andrew Luck is up too these days, probably happily tossin balls waiting for camp

I do agree with your assessment of Donovan and the media.  I also agree with you (as I said in my first post) that there is nothing about what RG3 is saying this off season that is wrong.  What I don't like is media being near my team nor do I like being talked about on ESPN anytime except during the season, and even then I tend to not like it.  I don't think it's an unfair assertion to make that the media has no benefit for a team and can only have a negative effect (although not necessarily as it can be indifferent thus having no effect).  All I've seen this offseason is this team being hyped up and having expectations dumped on them because of RG3.  And it's not healthy.  It may turn out not to matter.  In fact, I would go as far as to say it's likely to not matter.  But if I were Robert I would've done no major commercials (all be it has some damn good ones) outside of Eastern Motors, I probably wouldn't even have a twitter, and I would give as few statements as possible for the "spin masters" to use (very few press conferences at OTA's at least).  Like I said, there's no benefit to any of it so I don't see why do it.  Obviously you can't expect the guy to shelter himself entirely but there are things you can do.  I don't like the hype going into the season, it just destines us for failure.

The media is an ever present entity.  They're going to be around the team, no matter what, coming up with stories.  As NLC said, the media will take anything and everything and make a story out of it.  There's no way to stop it, because even if you locked them out, the story would be about all the secrets, and whether that was good or bad.  If he did no major commercials, or stopped tweeting, or gave no statements, they would come up with some negative storyline based on that.

"RGIII in no more commercials?  Is it because his injury has made him not marketable?"

"RGIII closes down his twitter.  Does he feel his social networking offended people?"

"RGIII refuses to give statements.  Is a rift forming between coach and player?"

The media will ALWAYS get their story.  ALWAYS.  Fighting it just fuels them (see: every celebrity who's fought the paparazzi ever).  The best thing to do is just go about your life.  Do your commercials, tweet your opinions, practice, and just generally live your life.  Let the media talk, because they always will, don't add the stress of trying to change your lifestyle to try and curb them.

Mike and RGIII have handled things very well.  Despite RGIII recovering incredibly quickly, they've taken a measured cautious optimism.  Any expectations beyond that are the work of the media, and I don't think the team itself is drinking the cool-aid, and that's what matters.

I'll leave you with what some Redskin fan said to a Cowboys fan in a bathroom a few years ago when we were down.  I say this because I find it relevant and it was really funny when he said it.

The only reason RG3 even does commercials is so he can live off that income and put his regular checks in the bank.

I can't fault the kid for doing that. I don't see how anyone can say "That really smart thing you're doing by living off your endorsements and putting your checks in the bank so you won't be as broke as most athletes are? Yeah, quit doing that." And he ain't living off an Eastern Motors commercial alone.

As for the hype...get use to it. This is life with a superstar quarterback in a large media market. It's never going to go away as long as RGIII is here, no matter how much or how little Robert says. That's the whole point. He cut shut him self out entirely tomorrow, and you know what becomes a story? "Why has RGIII shut down his Twitter? What is he hiding? Was he forced to by the Redskins?".

This is a different time and different era. Stop waiting for the other shoe to drop and realize the franchise is in good hands. You'll have a lot more fun that way.

This is one of the more annoying off season's in recent history. I really hope this drama ends at the HOF game when football returns.

It's the nature of the beast here in a high market city. I wonder what Andrew Luck is up too these days, probably happily tossin balls waiting for camp

Andrew Luck is probably up to being the single most boring first overall pick in NFL draft history.

Andrew Luck's lack of press has less to do with him and more to do with the fact that he's boring as hell and has the personality of a sack of flour.

Luck also plays in a much smaller media market. But seriously, I can't remember the Colts getting this little press pretty much ever. With Peyton the Colts were always big news and they were always talked about.

Luck basically gets no press unless he's being mentioned with Wilson and RG3.

2 things the Wise article proves: 

1. McNabb is a two-faced idiot

2. UnWise Mike has no sources on the 'Skins, but is willing to shake any tree to make the organization look bad.

For the record, both of these two things have been knows for a long time.

And, NLC1054, that was a really thoughtful write up. I probably would have just resorted to swearing. 

Here's the thing;

To add, the media will try to grab any kind of controversy out of the air, now that the team is getting so much attention. I'd keep in mind some of what Donovan is saying. Coming from his experience with expectations when he led Philly to three straight championships, and the TO drama in '04. Just cause he threw grounders for us and fizzled in the latter part of his career I can't dismiss everything he says.

To add, the media will try to grab any kind of controversy out of the air, now that the team is getting so much attention. I'd keep in mind some of what Donovan is saying. Coming from his experience with expectations when he led Philly to three straight championships, and the TO drama in '04. Just cause he threw grounders for us and fizzled in the latter part of his career I can't dismiss everything he says.

The issue at hand is nothing Donovan says has any validity in this circumstance. He can't give "advice" to RGIII while throwing a shot at the organization, which leads one to believe he doesn't care much about trying to advise a young quarterback.

And that's assuming RG3 needs any advice from him to begin with, and ignoring the hypocrisy in a lot of what McNabb says.

The issue at hand is nothing Donovan says has any validity in this circumstance. He can't give "advice" to RGIII while throwing a shot at the organization, which leads one to believe he doesn't care much about trying to advise a young quarterback.

And that's assuming RG3 needs any advice from him to begin with, and ignoring the hypocrisy in a lot of what McNabb says.

Where in the piece does Donovan take a shot at the organization? His take on the wedding gift photos, the jumping jacks, his OTA press conferences I agree with, in what other camp are so many things held under such a microscope? How much media attention did Tom Brady get the season after he tore his ACL in the 2k8 season?

Mcnaab states that RW has spoken with him on several occasions, yet Bob hasn't. I felt McNabb was one of the most criticized QB's during his prime, when personalities like Rush Limbaugh would play the race card so hard make ridiculous takes that make you question society, along with other writers when it came to his performance. And face it, DM's off seasons never garnered such attention as RG3's, except the two season's he had TO, which would have attracted FAR more attention in 2013 then it did in 2004-05  before twitter etc. And we still remember that time.

McNabb is offering legit advice, and Bob should at least hear him out. RW did, whether Wilson will put it to use, we'll never know, but it should be worth listening too..

Who cares what McNabb has to say, but it is unfortunately a part of the media monster.

RG3 will be getting tons of press as long as he's playing in the league, so you might as well get used to it.  Offseasons can be painfully boring, so the press will cook almost any story to generate interest this time of year. 

All I care about is that our team is continuing to improve its roster, and that #10 will be under center when we hit the field in Week 1.  The rest of this stuff is just noise.  Hail.

Where in the piece does Donovan take a shot at the organization? His take on the wedding gift photos, the jumping jacks, his OTA press conferences I agree with, in what other camp are so many things held under such a microscope? How much media attention did Tom Brady get the season after he tore his ACL in the 2k8 season?

Mcnaab states that RW has spoken with him on several occasions, yet Bob hasn't. I felt McNabb was one of the most criticized QB's during his prime, when personalities like Rush Limbaugh would play the race card so hard make ridiculous takes that make you question society, along with other writers when it came to his performance. And face it, DM's off seasons never garnered such attention as RG3's, except the two season's he had TO, which would have attracted FAR more attention in 2013 then it did in 2004-05  before twitter etc. And we still remember that time.

McNabb is offering legit advice, and Bob should at least hear him out. RW did, whether Wilson will put it to use, we'll never know, but it should be worth listening too..

Russell Wilson is an outstanding athlete and an outstanding person. It's great he heard Donovan out, but there is basically nothing Donovan could tell that kid that Wilson needs to hear. Wilson worked his ass off to become a starting quarterback in a league basically designed to never let guys like him get a chance to start.

McNabb is a guy that for so many years coasted on his ability to out-athlete his opponents. He goofed off in practice, he goofed off on the field, he didn't approach the game with passion. It's like I say in the article, you can only out-athlete someone for so long. The reason McNabb got traded was ultimately because his declining skillset wasn't balanced out by his lack of work ethic and the lack of quality practice reps, Stupid **** like answering the phone on the Giants sideline and dancing in the tunnel like a jackass before a playoff game like the game was already won is fine when you're 25-years old and are still maturing, but when you're 33-years old? Not so much.

And when Donovan came here, those problems escalated. Some veterans get cut, or get traded, and they use that experience to take their play to a new level. Donovan got traded, and he shut down. He didn't want to be here. He wanted to be in Minnesota. So he was already pre-disposed to not giving a ****. And Shanny is not Andy Reid, and he expected Donovan to be perfect, he expected Donovan to strive to be the best, and McNabb just didn't. He didn't care.

What could Donovan possibly teach RGIII about the game? Rex Grossman's a better mentor than Donovan will ever be, and I mean that. Rex may not be very good, but it's never been in doubt how hard he works to be so mediocre. He's dealt with a lot of adveristy in his career, and far, FAR more viscious criticism from far more people than Donovan has.

And yet you'll never hear a teammate say a bad word about Rex. When Donovan got benched in 2010, you could hear a pin drop. There wasn't a word spoken again Shanny with the six-time Pro Bowler on the bench. But when Rex got benched for Beck in 2011? The whole damn team crowed about Rex deserving a second chance, that he shouldn't have been benched. They stood behind Grossman like they never stood behind Donovan.

What can Donovan teach RGIII about being a leader? They voted Donovan team captain in 2010 out of a sense of obligation. They voted RGIII team captain because he earned it. How can a man with such physical talent work less hard then Rex Grossman and earn any respect?

What can Donovan teach RGIII about being low-key? Chunky Soup commercials, radio shows, constant appearances on national media, his own weekly press conferences.

What can Donovan teach RGIII about being a man? Does a man have a problem with his coach, have his agent blast that coach through the media, and then pretend like he never said any of it to the coach's face? Is a man so insecure in himself that he won't wear a wristband because he think it'll make him look dumb? Or does a man go to his coach after he feels like he can do more and after he's been beat up and say "Can you open it up for me, because I can have more put on my shoulders."

McNabb did take a lot of crap in Philly. A lot of it wasn't justified. But if his last two seasons in the league proved anything, it's that the laziness, the lack of work ethic, the lack of being in proper shape, the aloofness, the bad practice habits --- that was all true.

There's nothing McNabb can tell RGIII except "The Shanahans don't have you best interest at heart." Everything he says is tinged with that note. "I wonder to myself: Is this about selling tickets to the fans or what?"

Before RGIII had ever taken a snap here, Donovan was already Shanny bashing on ESPN, showing graphics of all the quarterbacks that "failed" underneath him (including Jake Plummer, who he went to an AFC Championship game, and Jay Cutler, who had his best season with Shanny, and excluding himself). Then almost exactly a year later, he's talking about how we're not doing a good job developing RGIII because we ran the read-option instead of teaching him how to be a drop back passer, AFTER (again a little over a year earlier) slamming Shanny for not being able to adjust because of his ego.

As for Tom Brady not being under such a microscope, I have a feeling you're probably wrong about that, but at any rate, New England is a much smaller media market than D.C is, and RGIII is a more marketable star than Brady is. Sad but true. Get used to it.

On top of all that, McNabb had ANOTHER chance in Minnesota, but still failed miserably.  I agree, he's only trying to stay relevant by latching onto the biggest, brightest star out there right now.  Wise is nothing but a professional troll.

Great article. I can't help but think players file it under the whole "who gives a damn file." regarding McNabb and UnWise Mike. Hell, if I was a player I'd laugh at the thought of UnWise Mike making his life out of what I do on the field and off. It really is silly to think about when regarding the real problems in the world, especially if Redskins is an offensive term. I feel like this article really brings it to light on how ridiculous it is.

I guess I'm going into a random rant but sports is becoming wayyyy to TMZ-ish and not about the X's and O's. Maybe I'm missing something in this corportate world, which I have no problem with, but seriously.. We (and im guilty too) are talking about if RG3 is talking to the media too much.

Edit: PS: McNabb will always be an Eagle. So theres that.

Archived