Extremeskins

HTTR24-7; Film Sessions: Pierre Garcon 2012 All Regular Season Targets/Catches

KCClybun

73 Targets
44 Receptions
633 Yards
4 Touchdowns
5 Drops

Pierre Garçon was the key acquisition of the Redskins 2012 free agency class, signing him just minutes after free agency opened. The immediate reaction was that the Redskins have overpaid, and after a foot injury and a shaky start, it seemed almost true. But Garçon came on after a 4 catch, 86 yards and 1 touchdown performance versus the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, following that up with an 8 catch, 106 yards and 1 touchdown performance versus the Giants the next week.

[ur=http://httr24-7.com/film-room/film-sessions-pierre-garcon-2012-all-regular-season-targetscatches/]Click here to read more.[/url]

He had a safety with him on every deep ball attempt.  I'd like him to connect on some of those, but he's consistently drawing double coverage when he goes deep which is nice.

I'm still amazed by that catch on Thanksgiving.  And I also still think that pass against the Browns that was ruled incomplete was bull****.

He had a safety with him on every deep ball attempt.  I'd like him to connect on some of those, but he's consistently drawing double coverage when he goes deep which is nice.

I'm still amazed by that catch on Thanksgiving.  And I also still think that pass against the Browns that was ruled incomplete was bull****.

I couldn't get another view, but it was clear Haden interferred with him.

There's also the first pass versus the Giants where I feel like if RG3 had held on to the ball a touch longer and pumped the free safety, it'd probably be six. Griff starts right reading Josh Morgan on the vertical, comes back left (HE CAN'T READ PROGRESSIONS, IT'S A SIMPLE OFFENSE!) and launches it. If he pumps right the FS probably bites which leaves Pierre one-on-one with Amukamara downfield.

As a matter of fact, seems like every time Pierre got open deep he got interfered with somehow.

Sure was. That was absolitely a catch.

Oh, you guys are talking about another catch.

Yeah, that Browns game was replacement ref-ish. Pierre ran a deep route and had Haden beat, Haden held him, no flag. The "incomplete pass". Pierre gets popped with a taunting penalty for spinning the ball, which he's done since Indianapolis without incident. Haden defends a pass intended for Garcon, jumps up and yells in Pierre's face, no flag. It was definitely one of those kind of games.

Wow - not to stray off topic, but watching this video really made me realize how much the injury against the Ravens affected RG3 after he came back.

In the clips of the final games against Philly and Dallas, he simply doesn't look the same. It will be so nice to have him back to 100% this season.

And hopefully we can keep Garcon healthy as well so he can put up the type of numbers he was on pace for last season!

NLC1054 Dude, you are the man for putting these together.

I'll double check but I've noticed that the passing game seems to focus between the numbers.

This offense still has so much room to grow.

Linebackers almost always stepped up off play action because the threat of RG3 and Alfred Morris, so it always creates huge voids in the middle of the field. Which is counter-intuitive as hell since you're not supposed to be able to take the middle of the field with that regularity.

And we still haven't taken advantage of one of RG3's best attributes; throwing the football deep outside the numbers.

This offense is gonna be crazy good once we add that dimension. We'll drive teams nuts.

NLC1054 Dude, you are the man for putting these together.

I'll double check but I've noticed that the passing game seems to focus between the numbers.

This offense still has so much room to grow.

Majority of the pass game is focused between the hashes. Been like that for a few years.

Can we post the radio clip from after the Dallas game where the (Dallas) radio jockeys are whining about Garcon?

Yes?  No?  Don't care, doing it anyway.  Go to 1:53.

"How does Pierre Garcon, who's got a freaking toe that is hanging off-"

"He ran away..."

"-how does he run away from defenders.  He has no toe!

Thanks for posting the video NLC.  Garcon is a monster when healthy, his combination of size, speed, and strength is awesome.  You're not going to be bringing him down with some flyweight corner, you had better bring a darn good safety.

PG plays the game with more fire (at the WR position) than anyone I've ever seen. Dude is pumped up the way you'd think a MLB or a DL would be. I freaking love that about him. And he has the talent and work ethic to go with it. Love him. 

Awesome work on all these breakdowns NLC, good stuff man.

PG plays the game with more fire (at the WR position) than anyone I've ever seen. Dude is pumped up the way you'd think a MLB or a DL would be. I freaking love that about him. And he has the talent and work ethic to go with it. Love him. 

Awesome work on all these breakdowns NLC, good stuff man.

Gary Clark had the same type of fire.  He reminds me of a stronger and faster Gary Clark.  THAT is a very good thing,  HTTR

Something I noticed...after watching the Morgan, Hankerson, and Davis editions of this post, I was impressed with Griffin's timing and footwork, and his resulting accuracy.

Then I watched this one, and it looked like Griffin's accuracy was quite poor, and that Garcon was often making great catches to compensate.

HOWEVER, upon closer inspection, my working theory is that Garcon, having run an Air Coryell type scheme in Indy, does not have the WCO timing down.

A little background color:

In the WCO, the QB "runs a route" with his feet in much the same way the receiver does, so that the QBs weight distribution generates power and accuracy for the throw in perfect timing with the receiver's break. A WCO QB spends HOURS learning these steps, like dance steps. Its a different set of steps, depending on where the pre-snap read suggests the pass will have to go.

It is obvious that Griffin has invested those hours, and he executes the steps with impressive precision. Most young QBs get sloppy when the pressure is on...not Griffin.

On the other end, it is clear that Morgan, Moss and Davis have THEIR timing down as well. They break their routes at the exact depth to be in-timing with Griffin's footwork. The result is a firm pass delivered above the waist, without having to stretch out or break stride.

Not the case with Garcon. He appears to frequently break too early, and too shallow, causing Griffin to cut his footwork short. The result is a pass that is low and behind Garcon....or....RG3 finishes his footwork, but has to deliver the ball well after the break, pushing it high and away. These two need to spend time getting their timing right in order to take advantage of Garcon's ability.

As fun as the offense was to watch, when you watch these videos out of context of the excitement of the games and season themselves you truly understand why the players on offense on this team say things like "You haven't seen half of the potential of what this offense can do yet"

Whenever a team goes from mediocre to contender, there usually has to be that middle-ground season where the team obviously takes a big step forward, but remains a step or two away from truly being a championship caliber team.

I think 2012 was the year that there was some vindication in the system of offense being run and with the coaching staff overall (including Haslet who somehow got the defense to play a ton better the last month of the season).

As long as this team doesn't suffer major injuries in 2013, I am really going to be looking for the offense to not only be exciting, but more fundamentally sound and crisp. Especially on the timing-routes.

There were a lot of plays just in the Garcon highlights where you see the called play itself had potential for big yards, but either the ball was delivered a tad late, or Garcon was a tad late in his break, and it cause the play to either be DOA, or go for 3-5 yards instead of taking advantage of the huge hole and empty field that was readily available 2 seconds before the completion happened.

Not bashing anything about the offense in 2012, it was the best we have seen in years, but it is only the start of the turn around. Step 1 in the end game of a championship and/or multiple championships!

RG3 called Pierre Garcon his Kendall Wright, and I think that's right.

That's why it's sort of a warped blessing in disguise that RG3 can throw to Pierre right now; it affords them more time to get on the same page and work on their timing. 

I think Airx brings up an interesting point about Pierre transitioning to a new offense. Moss, Josh, Hank, Fred, Logan, have all been in a WCO either here or elsewhere. Pierre coming from a different system while RG3 was learning a different system, you could tell some of those passes were just an inch or two from being complete with a little bit better execution.

The more the two work together the better off they'll be. Another year in this offense should work wonders for the two, because when they're on and the timing is right, oh boy.

I couldn't include the route Pierre ran on Brandon Browner in the playoffs, but Pierre ran a deep comeback route, Robert threw a beautiful ball right as he was coming out of his break, Pierre caught it, broke Browner's tackle and gained more yards.

Pierre straight clowned Browner on that route. When we hit these with regularity we'll be deadly.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000123183/Garcon-30-yard-catch

Archived