Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hats off to the Draft team, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen 2013

SWFLSkins

Who cares that they used a 7th rounder - 228 on a kicker? Some people are reacting like he was drafted in the 2nd. It might turn out to be a great pick. 

I don't believe people are mad that we used a 7th rounder on a kicker. It's the fact that many believed there were better options available at that spot, and that he would be available as an UDFA; so they feel it was a wasted pick. You draft players who you believe will make the team and sign UDFA for competition. And many think we did that backwards. 

You draft players who you believe will make the team and sign UDFA for competition. And many think we did that backwards.

I see this all over the board lately. Could someone please answer me this:

What player in the 6th or 7th round would you have rather drafted and what player would they replace on our 53 man roster?

What player in the 6th or 7th round would you have rather drafted and what player would they replace on our 53 man roster?

I didn't say that was my point of view. Just a generalization from what I'm reading on the board. Personally I believe the guys we did draft in round 6 & 7 will make the team and unseat guys already here. If the kicker really can hit 60 yarders, then Forbath is as good as gone; and with Seastrunk, I think either Thompson or Helu is gone.  

I don't believe people are mad that we used a 7th rounder on a kicker. It's the fact that many believed there were better options available at that spot, and that he would be available as an UDFA; so they feel it was a wasted pick. You draft players who you believe will make the team and sign UDFA for competition. And many think we did that backwards. 

I don't think the draft team beleives it was a wasted pick if he actually is competing to make the roster.....http://realredskins.com/2014/05/12/need-to-know-5-redskins-whose-roster-spots-are-in-danger-after-the-draft/        K Kai Forbath—It’s not unusual for a team to bring in competition for a kicker, even for one who has been pretty good over the past two seasons. But it is unusual to spend a draft pick on competition, even a seventh. Zach Hocker can consistently boot the ball into the end zone and if he has good accuracy on field goals Forbath could be in trouble.

I didn't say that was my point of view. Just a generalization from what I'm reading on the board. Personally I believe the guys we did draft in round 6 & 7 will make the team and unseat guys already here. If the kicker really can hit 60 yarders, then Forbath is as good as gone; and with Seastrunk, I think either Thompson or Helu is gone.

sorry, wasn't trying to pin it all on you :) it's all over the board lately. Redskins had a bad draft because they didn't draft this safety or that lb. I want someone to tell me who the player they are advocating replaces.

Our offense was a strength the entire year, not just the last 7 games. Even if you want to gloss over that, Robert got hurt late against the Ravens. So that was almost 4 games into our winning streak. Kirk came in and did an awesome job to finish the game and then took it to the Browns, who were playing great on defense, but he did it with Shanahan's traditional bootleg offense. That's the coaches. Robert came back and played well against the Eagles with the read option kept to a minimum, however, the Eagles almost came back and we struggled in the 4th Quarter to keep drives going. It was a 4th down stop at the goal line due to a Bowen pressure on Foles that won us that game.

Against Dallas, we went back to the read option and Morris absolutely destroyed them. Same goes for Seattle, until Robert got hurt. The rest is history.

I simply can't look at all that and say the coaches had little to do with it. The coaches did an amazing job the entire year on offense and the 7 game winning streak happened in part because our defensive coaches started to scheme better. There's no need to take that away from them in order to lend credence to your legitimate theory that better coaching will make a huge difference.  

In fact, your theory is strengthened by the fact that, in 2012 and with better coaching overall, this team was great. In 2013, the coaches failed on numerous levels along with other negative factors that came into play... and we got what we got. 

So, yeah, better coaching will be huge for us.  

I will give credit where credit is due, we did have a pretty good game plan that season, and did have some very nice plays, but none of that would have happened if not for the players on this team. That game plan would be useless for maybe 95% of the league. That's why I like this 2014 Redskins team, they come in healthy, with more knowledge and with some pretty darn good FA's. This is a team that could do a complete 180 under the right leadership, we all watched this team go toe to toe with the best in the league, and did it with some key injuries. How good can this team be healthy and under good coaching. I hope to God we can find this out starting this season.

As far as the kicker, I think it's a pretty good draft. We need competition on our ST, they are atrocious! How many games have we lost because of kick and punt returns, field position. Zach Hocker is a very reliable kicker who gets better each season, he can also punt, he booted one for 77 yards in a game and has close to a 46 yard average. His average kickoff in one season was 67.8 yards with 40 touch backs, that is great field position. He led the team with 104 points in 2010, broke the school record for points by a kicker in 2011, this a guy that's good to have around. He could end up being our kicker for years to come. 

A blast from the past. I feel like I should apologize for this, but I just had to bump this fellas, after I stumbled upon it when I was googling to find a recent Bruce Allen quote. I think it's pretty interesting to look at how we viewed the draft last year in comparison. One of the rare occasions where ES had a consensus of satisfaction.   

I'm not going to lie... reading through this thread caused my eyes to water a bit out of sadness. Brings the shock of 2013 back. :(

Hey, we still have the hope that guys like Thomas, Rambo, Chris Thompson and Brandon Jenkins pan out. It could still end up being a great draft. 

All these threads do, is confirm we message board GM's are exactly where we should be, which is operating behind the guise of an anonymous user name. I think these "bumps" of old threads are beneficial. Shanny and the front office staff were being lauded for saving/turning around the franchise last summer. This summer he's been castigated for the complete opposite. For that reason, I'm completely neutral in reference to this years draft and team. Wait and see

As far as the kicker, I think it's a pretty good draft. We need competition on our ST, they are atrocious! How many games have we lost because of kick and punt returns, field position. Zach Hocker is a very reliable kicker who gets better each season, he can also punt, he booted one for 77 yards in a game and has close to a 46 yard average. His average kickoff in one season was 67.8 yards with 40 touch backs, that is great field position. He led the team with 104 points in 2010, broke the school record for points by a kicker in 2011, this a guy that's good to have around. He could end up being our kicker for years to come.

And a 7th round pick would be a small price to pay for better field position and consistent fg kicking for years.

And a 7th round pick would be a small price to pay for better field position and consistent fg kicking for years.

True...and the idea that any player available in the 7th round could easily be picked up as an UDFA ignores the fact that 1) other teams will be after the same players, and 2) the player doesn't have to sign with us.

I think a LOT of Skins fans on here are of the mindset that positions like WR and placekicker are "luxury" picks as we can get by with what we currently have, so better to use even those late round picks on areas of need...regardless of whether or not players in those areas of need are worth the pick or not.

This thread actually gives me hope that the 2014 draft was indeed a good one. We loved last year's class and it could prove to be the worst one in quite some time.

The production of rookies last year already make it better than 2008. Period, end of story

This thread actually gives me hope that the 2014 draft was indeed a good one.  We loved last year's class and it could prove to be the worst one in quite some time. 

How so? 

2 51 CB David Amersonicon-article-link.gif North Carolina State 3 85 TE Jordan Reedicon-article-link.gif Florida 4 119 S Phillip Thomasicon-article-link.gif Fresno State 5 154 RB Chris Thompsonicon-article-link.gif Florida State 5 162 LB Brandon Jenkinsicon-article-link.gif Florida State 6 191 S Bacarri Ramboicon-article-link.gif Georgia 7 228 RB Jawan Jamisonicon-article-link.gif Rutgers   

Amerson, Reed/....Great picks so far. Let's wait this year and see what Rambo, Thomas and Jenkins can possibly do. Most fans are like gamblers in Vegas hitting a jackpot for 5k on the Minions Millions slot then complaining about winning, but not winning it all. 

Hey vote for Alfred Morris on the Madden cover....or somethin' like that.

[Hilarious Morris video]

Edit: Geez took forever to embed the video

Oh my God, that was hilarious. Yeesh, that kid is ridiculously likable. 

Oh my God, that was hilarious. Yeesh, that kid is ridiculously likable. 

Yeah HAHA, didn't know he had it in him, finally showing some personality. I'm willing to bet the action figure scene isn't entirely untrue, would've been super funny if Robert was there playing too haha.

There are very few draft classes for any one team where they hit on every player.

And you need to wait it out a couple years to see how it all develops.  But generally, if you get 2 starters and 2-3 contributors, then you've had a pretty good draft.

For the 2013 draft, they got 2 starters (Reed and Amerson). But they didn't get a lot of contribution elsewhere. The biggest sadness was Thomas getting hurt. He could have contributed in the secondary, instead Rambo had to step in and wasn't ready.

I don't think Jenkins saw the field, and Jaminson didn't make the 53, I don't think.

So, this draft would, as of now, go down as average.  They got starters with their first two picks, and they didn't have a 1st, but they haven't gotten a lot of contribution elsewhere. Hopefully one of the other guys can step up, but it's possible they are all casualties this year.  

The 2012 draft was actually almost the same, they got Griffin and Morris as starters. Cousins contributed as a backup.  Robinson was stepping up until he got hurt.  But that's it.  They haven't gotten a lot out of the rest of their picks, including LeRebius, Compton, Gettis, Crawford or Berstein.  Though, with the contributions of Griffin (in 2012) and Morris, you'd have to grade that draft pretty high.

2011 draft they actually got one solid starter (Kerrigan) and a whole lot of role players: Jenkins, Hankerson, Helu, Gomes (for a while), Niles Paul, Royster, Robinson and Neild.  They didn't get much out of Thompson, Mo Hurt, Markus White, 

2010 draft they didn't have a lot of picks.  But they got 2 starters in Trent WIlliams and Perry Riley in rounds 1 and 4 respectively.  They didn't have a 2nd, 3rd or 5th round pick.  They did nothing with their 6th and 3 7ths.

What you can see about the Shanahan drafts is that either they could get a couple of starters, or they could get depth, but they couldn't put both together in 1 draft to have a REALLY GOOD draft. Which makes the drafts "pretty average."

However, compared to the dregs that came before, those drafts look positively smashing:

2009 where they got 1 starter (Orakpo) and NOTHING else

2008 where Davis was the most talented pick, but the only one still on the roster is Rob Jackson

2007 where they got Landry early, and then bupkis after that,

2006 netted them Rocky McIntosh, Montgomery, Doughty and Goldson, all role players and mid-level starters,

2005 Rodgers, Campbell and then bupkis, 

2004 they only had 4 picks, but they got Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley, and 2 OTs that never played a down. 

2003 they only had 3, let me say that again, 3! picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 7th rounds, and they picked Taylor Jacobs (thank you Spurrier), Dockery and Hamdan (who?)

2002 they had a lot of picks.  They picked Ramsey and Betts with their first 2 picks. (Side note, whatever happened to McD5?) They had a couple other contributors, but nothing of serious note.

2001 they got Rod Gardner, Fred Smoot, and a few others.  Probably the best was Darnarian McCants, just because Spurrier had no idea how to say his name when he got here.

2000 Lavar (biggest disappointment draft pick of all time), Samuels (borderline HOFer), and then absolutely nothing after that. 

1999 Champ Baily, Jon Jansen, then nothing.

From 1999 - 2009, the 'Skins might have been the worst drafting team in the league. They got a few really good players (Baily, Samuels, Jansen, Cooley, Sean Taylor), but almost nothing else, and almost nothing after the second round hit. 

There are very few draft classes for any one team where they hit on every player.

And you need to wait it out a couple years to see how it all develops.  But generally, if you get 2 starters and 2-3 contributors, then you've had a pretty good draft.

The 2012 draft was actually almost the same, they got Griffin and Morris as starters. Cousins contributed as a backup.  Robinson was stepping up until he got hurt.  But that's it.  They haven't gotten a lot out of the rest of their picks, including LeRebius, Compton, Gettis, Crawford or Berstein.  Though, with the contributions of Griffin (in 2012) and Morris, you'd have to grade that draft pretty high.

I would like to add that Crawford was showing great promise and look forward to him coming back strong, not only did he contribute at corner, he was making an impact on ST;s

Archived