Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hats off to the Draft team, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen 2013

SWFLSkins

Because drafts should definitely be graded right after they happen, before any pick has played a single down!

And those are two different things. Draft execution and Draft outcome are two different things. The redskins executed the draft and picked up the players needed to further build the foundation of this team.

It's too early to tell whether or not the players we have drafted make the team, and make an impact.

Having said that, I like the picks we made to fill in the glaring void in our secondary by drafting Amerson, Thomas, and Rambo. All are playmakers, and have a nose for the ball. I am hoping they do well in the OTAs and pre-Season and make it to the final roster. I wouldn't be surprised that we cut ties with Reed Doughty, and some of the other old timers.

I am glad we picked up a couple of RBs as well. Alfred was a work horse last season. And, played despite being injured. We need to keep his legs fresh. I wouldn't be surprised if we cut ties with Roy Helu.

I was disappointed that we didn't go after a tall, physical, speedster ... a WR like Kevin Dorsey, in the later rounds. However, we may be able to address this need thru UFA.

I really like the draft but have to confess to doing a WTF when the second RB Jamison was picked. Other than that, it seems like they went NEED with every pick but got real value everywhere with the possible exception of Amerson, BUT,... they obviously really like him and I'm going to continue to trust their judgement.

A well deserved thread if there ever was one!

Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen, along with all the others helping them in the organization, have done an amazing job, an utterly unbelievable job, of transforming our beloved Skins back into a professional contender of a team. No matter what happens from here out we're playing with house money, they undid years of neglect and abuse, reinvigorated the fanbase and along the way taught a valuable lesson to TheDan that we can all reap the benefits of for years to come.

Gentlemen, we applaud you! :applause:

I can't help but think if one could have been given the opportunity 4 years ago to look into the future and have been given the chance to read this thread....it would have just sounded preposterous and incredulous.

My how far we've come. And the ride has only just begun. Hats off to the FO for another job nicely done. I wanted Rambo in the 2nd. In the 3rd. In the 4th...and so on. And that's why I'm HERE, and they are THERE.

Hail.

I really feel like they always do the best that they can with the cards dealt. Took great heat last year for possibly overpaying for RGIII, selecting Cousins, parting ways with Cooley when Davis was out, getting a starter and top back in the sixth. How could we had hoped for more? This year's draft class while certainly not cemented in as great as last year has all the potential to be great as well. I think Reed is going to turn some heads, he basically missed his senior year.

Thanks Dan also for relinquishing control and hiring a very competent executive team who also kept some really good pieces in the scouting department.

FA was handled better than I expected, and I'm very happy with the draft.

The FO has proved itself to be very competent and professional for multiple seasons now. I'm proud to be a Redskin fan.

Just one thing, how are we gonna sign our picks again?

it went kinda un-noticed because it was during the draft but we renegotiated josh wilsons contract and saved two million. I don't know if that will be enough but it should certainly help

Shanahan has never gotten the respect he deserves from the local media and as a result many fans who's opinions are influenced by these folks. The big difference between he in Denver and Joe Gibbs I in DC- was that Shanahan he stayed on after the glory years. Gibbs punted to Pettibon. All of that aside- I have my issues with Shanny and Gibbs II - BUT Mike took THIS gig with Snyder and Allen -to WIN a Super Bowl- AND HE WILL! very soon!

I'm very impressed with the FO and I like the feel of this team, which is totally different and seems to want to rely on homegrown players more. Free agency used to be what mattered with the draft providing camp bodies. Not any more.

Hey now, after all the years of questionable drafts and such, we have a viable Front office with a vision and a purpose. Yeah there are few more pieces to the equation the Skins neeed to acquire. But the prospects for our defensive secondary are intriguing and promising . I 'am very pleased we did not sign the free agent DB from the Vikings, name escapes me at the moment, we were all fawning over. The Skins are building with youth and talent , instead of other teams cap casualties and has beens. Hail

Hey now, after all the years of questionable drafts and such, we have a viable Front office with a vision and a purpose. Yeah there are few more pieces to the equation the Skins neeed to acquire. But the prospects for our defensive secondary are intriguing and promising . I 'am very pleased we did not sign the free agent DB from the Vikings, name escapes me at the moment, we were all fawning over. The Skins are building with youth and talent , instead of other teams cap casualties and has beens. Hail

Antoine Winfield would have been a one year fix and caused cap adjustments that would have had to have been dealt with later. But this competent FO decided not to bargain the present for the future and choose to draft players that could be here eight to ten years instead.

I've been critical of the Redskins FO for years now, but I have to admit that this is probably the best execution of a free agent and draft plan that I've probably ever seen from this front office. First we kept all our starters and main guys in free agency, then we added depth/competition at critical positions without making the same mistake as in 2008 where we saw that WR was a need so we just grabbed two guys who had fallen with two of our first three picks (with little concern for why they fell). This time we continually took a BPA approach and it just so happened that many times we were able to address needs in the secondary.

The only risk from this strategy is that I see we drafted at least two guys with injury concerns. Doesn't mean much now because most injuries heal, but the question is will they be ready for this year? Are they injury prone? Could we develop them on the PUP list or practice squad? I'm somewhat concerned with the issues that caused a guy like Rambo and/or Thomas to drop but when you spend a 4th and a 6th on two safeties who some had ranked as second rounders then I think its worth it, I mean how many 6th rounders normally make the team? But the risk reward here is great for us.

I'm impressed.

Impressed a bit but there are potential red flags. Amerson gets beat a lot on double moves. Not sure if that can be coached out of him. Thompson broke his back and ACL already. Jenkins broke his foot, but that doesn't seem too bad. Other pics seem ok.

A good friend of mine is an FSU fan and now a Skins fan. He cautioned about Thompson's injuries, but said he reminds him very much of Warrick Dunn. His eyes lit up when he saw that we drafted Jenkins. He said that he was their best pass rusher, more so than the guys drafted earlier from the same team, just the injury knocked his stock down.

Archived