Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite podcasts?

Spaceman Spiff

Recently started listening to the Bill Simmons (I know, I know, it's trendy to bash him now, but I've always liked him) podcast instead of listening to 106.7 or 980 on the evening drive home.

Just wondering if there are any podcasts out there that you subscribe to that are worth checking out. Doesn't have to be sports related, btw (comedy, music, etc).

I'm addicted to the Joe Rogan Experience.

I'm not too big on the actual podcast, it can be very good at times, but I love just listening to Joe Rogan in general.

The Dan Patrick Podcast is great and has been great for a while. It's my go-to general sports podcast.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions on music podcasts, I don't listen to any regularly and would like to add one to my list.

I love doing podcasts for the commute. No commercials = fabulous. My favorites are Freakonomics, Wait wait don't tell me, Bill Simmons. I also like the Tony Kornheiser podcast. Nice mix of local sports and politics.

I'm addicted to the Joe Rogan Experience.

Beat me to it. I love the long 2.5-3 hour format. I usually catch them when the run live on Ustream. They normally start around 6 PM EST. The Bill Burr "Monday Morning Podcast" is pretty good too.

Edit: Almost forgot Kevin Pereira's Pointless Podcast.

1. WTF with Marc Maron. Maron is an acquired taste and he may be running out of guests. But more often than not, he gets unbelievable interviews out of people. I mean, he made an hour Rob Schneider interview interesting this week.

2. Hang Up and Listen - This is Slate's weekly sports cast. If you hate everything about modern sports journalism, this is the podcast for you. The three guys (Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and Steven Fatsis) are funny, smart as hell, and love sports. And they avoid cliches at all costs.

3. The Bugle. Starring John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman. This is like a cross between The Daily Show, Monty Pyton, and - strangely enough - Garrison Keiler. Trust me. It works.

4. Professor Blastoff. How much you like this depends on how much you can tolerate the hipstery, alt-comic vibe it has. I rarely listen to a full podcast, but for 15 minutes, it's pretty fun.

5. Stuff You Missed in History Class. I miss the old hosts. I had a bizarre crush on Deblina Chakraborty.

1. My number 1 go-to is the Mike O'Meara Show, which is better than the radio incarnation of his show and I think it rivals the quality of the older Don and Mike Show.

2. Comedy Bang Bang is great if you enjoy bizarre, surrealist comedy in audio form.

3. Radiolab is an inventive, stylized science podcast that covers many areas of interest in thematic ways.

4. All Songs Considered is a great podcast for hearing new, lesser-known music from all genres.

1. My number 1 go-to is the Mike O'Meara Show, which is better than the radio incarnation of his show and I think it rivals the quality of the older Don and Mike Show.

2. Comedy Bang Bang is great if you enjoy bizarre, surrealist comedy in audio form.

3. Radiolab is an inventive, stylized science podcast that covers many areas of interest in thematic ways.

4. All Songs Considered is a great podcast for hearing new, lesser-known music from all genres.

Those last three I agree with. That first one....ugh.......It's basically everything that was mildly irritating about The Don and Mike Show now in long-form. (I actually liked Don and Mike, but Don was obviously the one who knew how to structure and run a radio show).

2. Hang Up and Listen - This is Slate's weekly sports cast. If you hate everything about modern sports journalism' date=' this is the podcast for you. The three guys (Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and Steven Fatsis) are funny, smart as hell, and love sports. And they avoid cliches at all costs.

[/quote']

Agreed. I could use a little more Pesca and a little less Fatsis, but I'll take it. Their live show this past fall with Billy Cundiff was entertaining.

Some others on my iPod:

Firewall & Iceberg - Alan Sepinwall and Dan Feinberg break down new TV shows and recap current series like Mad Men. Sepinwall is very entertaining. Feinberg has an encyclopedic knowledge of crappy TV, but can be a little annoying.

B-(rhymes with itch) Magazine Podcast - A feminist critique of pop culture, usually supplementing the current magazine issue. They don't make new episodes often enough. I like it better than the DoubleX Gabfest (which is also a Slate production, like Hangup and Listen).

Stay Hatin - "A podcast for people who actually like rap."

Agreed. I could use a little more Pesca and a little less Fatsis, but I'll take it. Their live show this past fall with Billy Cundiff was entertaining.

Pesca is brilliant and hysterical. Fatsis is tolerable when the other two are gently mocking him. He can get a little full of himself, and I think I have had my fill of Scrabble anecdotes.

It's always fun when that show finds itself trapped in the kind of sports conversation it hates. A few weeks ago they had Jay Bilas on and ended up in some completely boring talk radio conversation about "mental toughness." You could sense the three hosts trying to find a way out of it. They eventually got Bilas talking about the structure of the NCAA and that was really interesting, because Bilas is the one ESPN talking head who sometimes tells the truth.

---------- Post added April-17th-2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

By the way, I listen to Simmons' podcast. You can generally tell by the guest if it is worth listening to. If he has on some kind of pop culture person - except Alan Sepinwall or Chuck Klosterman - stay away. It's going to be painful. If it is that half-baked ideas guy, destroy your phone. If it is Cousin Sal, hang yourself. If it is a sports personality, it's probably going to be interesting, unless they are talking about a sport Simmons knows nothing about like hockey or soccer.

I can handle the Jack-O podcasts. I am so sick of "Guess the Line with Cousin Sal" though.

Every week, it's the same conversation.

"The line is 6 and a half."

"What? That's too high. Vegas doesn't know what it's doing."

I listen to The Mike O'Meara Show, Big O and Dukes and Tech 411.

It's the closest that you could possibly get to the old WJFK. I listen to it when I'm walking to work, when I'm driving... all the time. I don't listen to the radio at all. If I want to listen to music. I've got pandora streaming through my phone to my car.

If you liked the old WJFK, give those shows a shot.

I listen to The Mike O'Meara Show, Big O and Dukes and Tech 411.

It's the closest that you could possibly get to the old WJFK. I listen to it when I'm walking to work, when I'm driving... all the time. I don't listen to the radio at all. If I want to listen to music. I've got pandora streaming through my phone to my car.

If you liked the old WJFK, give those shows a shot.

Ugh. That's the AfterMash of golden era WJFK.

Those last three I agree with. That first one....ugh.......It's basically everything that was mildly irritating about The Don and Mike Show now in long-form. (I actually liked Don and Mike' date=' but Don was obviously the one who knew how to structure and run a radio show).[/quote']

Disagree. Loved the old show. Still loved it when Don left. Love it even more in its current iteration.

For anyone who enjoys alternative comedy, I'd just recommend giving all of the Earwolf podcasts a try.

Comedy Bang Bang is the main one (itself a spin off of the famous Comedy Death Ray stage show in Hollywood), but there are a ton of shows from the Earwolf network:

http://www.earwolf.com/shows/

How Did This Get Made? is my favorite show of them all - it's Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas from FX's The League, with Paul Scheer's wife, June Diane Raphael, and they review horrible movies, breaking down the entire production of each film.

Doug Loves Movies, with Doug Benson, is a fun podcast with a lot of solid guest stars on each week (usually filmed in front of a live audience at a comedy club, where the panel of guest stars plays trivia games about different films that have recently come out in theaters).

The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick can be interesting, depending on the guest.

StarTalk Radio by Neil deGrasse Tyson is a great podcast for space and science talk as well.

How Did This Get Made is in my rotation, but it can be hit or miss. Some episodes is just the two dudes screaming "This movie is crazy!"

I would highly recommend starting with the "88 Minutes" episode if you want to get into that show. The impression of Pacino realizing that he slept with a prostitute while not wearing a condom is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. The impression of Pacino randomly assigning names to all the extras is the second funniest thing.

Beat me to it. I love the long 2.5-3 hour format. I usually catch them when the run live on Ustream. They normally start around 6 PM EST. The Bill Burr "Monday Morning Podcast" is pretty good too.

Edit: Almost forgot Kevin Pereira's Pointless Podcast.

Will have to check out Bill Burr's, I haven't listened to it yet but I'm definitely a fan of his. I listen to a lot of the other guy's podcasts who are regulars on the JRE, Joey Diaz, Duncan Trussell, Ari Shaffir, etc.

I have the podcast app on my iphone and although it has ****ty reviews in the Apple store it's been great so far. I've synced it to my car and can listen while driving around now which is awesome.

• 2 months later...

No one has mentioned the Adam Carolla Podcast? I love it! He and Dr. Drew also have a seperate podcast called the "Adam and Dr. Drew Show" that's somewhat similar to the old Loveline show.

I second "WTF with Marc Maron" and the "Nerdist" podcasts as well.

"Comedy Bang Bang" is always good for a laugh as is "Sklarbro Country" with the Sklar Brothers.

"All Songs Considered" (NPR) is from right here in DC and is a great way to check out new music.

I also like to check out the "Science Friday" and "Fresh Air" podcasts from NPR on occasion.

How Did This Get Made?

http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-this-get-made/

It is a podcast by 2 of the guys from The League (Andre and Rafi) and some other chick.  They basically watch a terrible movie and then make fun of it for an hour.  It's sort of like a way more vulgar Mystery Science Theatre 3000, except they talk about the movie after-the-fact, not as they are watching it.  Sometimes they have a guest,usually a stand-up comedian.  Good ones so far have been Roadhouse, Suckerpunch, and Punisher: War Zone.

Slashercast (Horror)

Film Junk (Film in general)

Joe Rogan Experience

Devour the Podcast (Horror)

The Skeleton Crew (Horror

Nerdist

W.T.F.

Doug Loves Movies

I guess I can give my 'cast a shoutout, I co-host/produce Evil Episodes Podcast (Can be found on the Horrorphilia Podcasting network and/or www.evilepisodes.com) w/Corey Graham & Jamie Jenkins, we focus mainly on TV-Horror, (Current stuff such as: Dexter, True Blood, Walking Dead, American Horror Story; Classic shows like: Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Darkside, Monsters; Made for TV flicks: Dark Night of the Scarecrow, IT, Under the Dome, The Stand, etc etc...) We also cover Horror Video games, Horror comics, horror web-series (stuff like scaredstiff.tv)

Archived